Andy Murray - Hair Transplant?

I came across this video and just thought it was interesting. I've noticed Andy Murray has been going a little thin in the crown for a while but otherwise has a pretty good head of hair.

This video, which I'm sure is from 2011, has made me think he's had a hair transplant though. What's particularly interesting is that the three players (they're good friends) tease each other about losing their hair and the interviewer (who is a tennis coach called Mark Petchey) talks fairly openly about the fact he's had a hair transplant. It's really only the first minute and a half or so.

Anyway I'm fairly convinced he's had some work done in the front. So far as I know finasteride is a banned substance in the tennis world, so one must presume if he has had work it's without medication. It's hard to say but his hair looks quite different here to how it does these days, where it looks pretty full and thick apart from the crown and maybe a bit of recession - it could just be a better haircut though, what do you think?

His father and grandfather both have fairly extensive loss, so it's in the family. Overall though, his hair seems to look better now than it did five years ago. If he has had a transplant, hopefully he hasn't been too aggressive!

I think this video sums up the British houmur very well. we love to take the micky out of each other haha. that said I too think he has had something done to the hairline because it's a lot thicker now then it was in that video thats for sure.

Finasteride no longer appears to be a banned substance (it used to be) so that is my thinking behind his improved appearance.

The temples have still receded and he keeps his hair messy and combed forward to cover them over. No HT in my opinion, just meds.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Why not just ask him?....:rolleyes:

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

His hair definitely looks better to me, but that could be due to him growing his hair out and the waviness of his hair doing a great job of giving him the illusion of more density. Hard to say. Regardless, he always seems like such a solid, nice guy to me, so whatever it is, good for him. :cool:

I had no idea finasteride was/used to be(?) a banned substance in sports. The more you know....

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

His hair definitely looks better to me, but that could be due to him growing his hair out and the waviness of his hair doing a great job of giving him the illusion of more density. Hard to say. Regardless, he always seems like such a solid, nice guy to me, so whatever it is, good for him. :cool:

I had no idea finasteride was/used to be(?) a banned substance in sports. The more you know....

Yes...From what I read, finasteride supposedly masked PED's in a urinalysis and it was banned in pro tennis. Has the ban been lifted? Not sure.:rolleyes:

Edited by Qneedhair

I was curious so I did some research. Finasteride was taken off the WADA prohibited substance list (the International Tennis Federation use WADA's list) in 2008. It used to be that finasteride could mask other substances but improvements in doping technology means that's no longer the case, so it's no longer banned.

Technically Andy Murray could have been taking it for a while, in that case. I wonder if he does? It's obviously proven safe but at the end of the day it is an anti-androgen and will somewhat alter your hormone balance - certainly there is no absolute guarantee that it wouldn't affect performance.

Would a top-level athlete take that risk? It's possible, but in a sport where every conceivable legal advantage is sought out and so much effort is taken to improve and maintain performance, would there be too much concern about the use of the drug?

Edited by mahhong
Spelling Error