Help please! A shedding question.

About seven months ago I recieved a hair transplant. I've documented it on a seperate thread on this site. I was very happy with the results I was seeing months in.

I have a FUT scar from a previous procedure many years ago and wanted this repaired. So five months later I returned to the clinic to have FUE put into my scar. Again happy with everything.

My surgeon gave me a complimentary PRP treatment for the top of my head, where I had my transplant work done. Within 10 days I began to shed. Two months later and I've had a noticeable shed. I feel the shedding is now subsiding.

I am very anxious about the shed though. I don't know whether it's shockloss from the PRP or shedding after from the PRP treatment like you initially get with minoxidil.

Would any experienced posters here be able to tell me if you think it will grow back or perhaps people who have had PRP done and experienced shedding could tell me if it will grow back.

I am really anxious and nervous.

First photo is five montns in. Second photo is seven months in. A noticeable deterioration.

20160504_173500.thumb.jpg.2e995e020c5b4275d6decaa8ebd73e1c.jpg

20160705_101047.thumb.jpg.44b553f3b0bbf835bfd46c1bd4f6b82f.jpg

Edited by leindub

There's no reason for this to be permanent since PRP won't have any permanent effect on the grafts as far as i know.

Thanks for your reply but I simply don't know if native or transplanted hair has shed. I do know the shed is significant and it has really worried me.

I had already native hair in the area before my transplant last December.

What I am wondering is, I've read that new transplant hairs take 18 months to fully mature, I'm wondering could the PRP injections send them into a resting phase, as they would have only been five months into maturity and hope they should return as they are donor hair.

But what happens if the PRP injections have sent native hair into shock, that might not return?

I'm not saying that you haven't lost hair, but just the lighting difference and the head tilt will make a difference in what you see.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I'm not saying that you haven't lost hair, but just the lighting difference and the head tilt will make a difference in what you see.

Thanks Spanker for the reply.

I know shedding of hair is a natural everyday experience. Ordinarily when I wash my hair, I never, ever shed hair, I will never see hairs on my hand in the shower or after washing my hair in the sink. In the last eight weeks, the opposite has happened, my hands have hairs on them after washing my hair.

Even styling my hair with gel, my hair looks thinner and is more difficult to style.

And plus aswell, my hair should have improved from post 5 month op to post 7 month hair surgery, it has indisputably not. That does not make sense, unless I have experienced either shockloss or shedding.

Edited by leindub

After taking a look at your before pics on the other thread, looks to me like most of the shedding happened to transplanted hair at mid-scalp. Since these follicles don't become miniaturized, you should be safe, my friend. When I got my HT done, I said no to PRP so I have no experience in this department. But from my research I don't think PRP has any permanent effect - neither good, nor bad.

After taking a look at your before pics on the other thread, looks to me like most of the shedding happened to transplanted hair at mid-scalp. Since these follicles don't become miniaturized, you should be safe, my friend. When I got my HT done, I said no to PRP so I have no experience in this department. But from my research I don't think PRP has any permanent effect - neither good, nor bad.

Thanks starscream.

Before starting the thread, I had a theory that because new transplanted hair takes 18 months to fully mature that the PRP treatment may have caused my new transplant hairs to shed, as they were only weeks old.

I did do a little research on PRP before I started this thread, and on another forum. I read a few accounts of people undergoing PRP treatment only to permanently lose their shedded hair. Obviously native hair, not transplanted hair.

Part of me is petrified I've permanently shed native hair, that is why I am so worried.

Also, could I ask why you personally said no to PRP.

Retrospectively I would never agree to a treatment offering a temporary gain with the risk of a permanent loss.

Ive think I read somewhere that prp would have same sort of effects as FIn & min where your hair will shed just like you would on any of the 2 medications mentioned above which also its a indication that your responding to the treatment such as its gets worse before it gets better, that's if the Doctor is well versed with this particular treatment which I guess he or she is.

Hang in there the treatment is just going through the shedding cycle at this time.

Also, could I ask why you personally said no to PRP.

I said no to PRP because from my research I found no evidence that PRP works. The same reason I stay away from other hairloss treatments like laser comb etc - there's a ton of anecdotal evidence out there, but none have been proved to work in a scientific method. For a technique that has been applied in the medical field for more than 20 years, it's a shame that no scientific evidence has been recorded for the efficacy of PRP.

• 3 weeks later...

Just bumping this thread again to ask if anyone has personal experiences with PRP.

It's been 10 weeks since my PRP treatment and I am still shedding. I'm anxious on whether the shedded hair will grow back.

So wondering if anybody reading this has had PRP done, experienced a noticable shed and if the hair grew back?

Never had PRP treatments to my scalp and never would.

IMHO, you probably experienced an acute shed of both your native and transplanted hair.

You won't know for probably 3-4 months because the hair needs to fulfill a resting phase which is 3-4 months.

No one can provide any concrete or definite answer to you...you just have to wait it out but personally I think things will turn out just fine for you.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Never had PRP treatments to my scalp and never would.

IMHO, you probably experienced an acute shed of both your native and transplanted hair.

You won't know for probably 3-4 months because the hair needs to fulfill a resting phase which is 3-4 months.

No one can provide any concrete or definite answer to you...you just have to wait it out but personally I think things will turn out just fine for you.

Thanks for the reply.

I feel I've shedded a combination of native and transplanted hair.

With regards to transplanted hairs, because sometimes hair can shock in the donor area from the trauma of surgery I take it you think the PRP could similarly shock transplanted hair on the scalp?

Also I've read it takes a full eighteen months for transplant hairs to fully mature and my PRP was done about five months after my transplant and my new hairs would have only being growing about ten weeks. As they would be on their first new cycle and as these hairs start out as fine, weak and whispy, do you think they would be more susceptible to shock as this early stage from PRP?

Edited by leindub

You're welcome my friend.

Here's the deal...anything is possible and a multiple of factors can induce shockloss or a shed cycle. Trauma being the most predominant as it relates to a very recent procedure which was not the case for you.

I cannot tell you for sure that it was the PRP treatment that led to your recent shed or shockloss however there are no other real factors which could be attributable to the source. I have heard of this occurring before when done as a stand alone treatment like the one you recently had.

We all have read threads of guys who use finasteride and/or minoxidil first the first time and experience something similar. So like I said, there are a number of factors or medications that can induce a shed.

The shed cycle may delay the regrowth of your recent grafts but I think they will eventually resume their growth pattern because they are designed to do so. And the grafts are terminal hair that was transplanted so the follicles themselves should be in good shape.

You just have to hang in there and wait it out and chalk this up to a learning experience...but again, the growth should eventually manifest...;)

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

• 2 months later...

leindub,

I went through the procedure recently, had a prp along-with, in the non-transplanted area, native hair have been shedding like crazy, more than ever before, similar to what happened with you, how is your loss right now ?

My strategy is just to ignore all this for 3-4 months, and then analyse.

Chances are, you will recover from it...it just takes time 3-6 months.

Gillenator

leindub,

I went through the procedure recently, had a prp along-with, in the non-transplanted area, native hair have been shedding like crazy, more than ever before, similar to what happened with you, how is your loss right now ?

Hairhoho,

Check out my story in my sig below. Somewhere on page 3 or so you'll see how I recovered from VERY bad shock loss. Just be patient... it'll come back

3185 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 2/17/16

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/182611-fut-3185-dr-rahal-day-after-pics.html

1204 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 3/27/17

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/186586-round-2-rahal-1204-fut-frontal-third-same-area.html

---> total of 4389 grafts to my frontal third via FUT

---> 1mg finasteride daily since 1999:)

leindub,

I'm roughly 4.5 months post PRP. I notice a small improvement from the shedding.

I try not to focus on it too much, knowning it will be about six momths to see a full improvement if it happens.

It could always take a little longer than six months but hang in there as it should recover...:cool:

Gillenator