6 months results 2900 Grafts Dr Wong, not much growth

I see definite improvements the hairline has a much more defined shape than before. Dr Wong is one of the best so I am sure things will thicken you are just a late bloomer.

Stay positive and please keep us all posted.

Senior Patient Advisor for Dr Edward Ball of The Maitland Clinic.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of The Maitland Clinic.

Formerly Garageland of Hasson & Wong with 20 years of history in Hair Restoration.

Meet with myself for a free consultation and advice in London on June 21st 2018.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see definite improvements the hairline has a much more defined shape than before. Dr Wong is one of the best so I am sure things will thicken you are just a late bloomer.

Stay positive and please keep us all posted.

Thanks. I cannot take pictures of the crown where Dr Wong implanted 400 grafts. Does it take longer for the crown to grow new hair ? I feel there's zero growth there but not sure if also the bald area in the crown expanded after surgery because of shock loss.

The crown always takes longer to grow in as the blood supply there is less than in the front. As for shock loss it depends on how weak the hairs were in the crown as to whether they survived.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of The Maitland Clinic.

Formerly Garageland of Hasson & Wong with 20 years of history in Hair Restoration.

Meet with myself for a free consultation and advice in London on June 21st 2018.

The crown always takes longer to grow in as the blood supply there is less than in the front. As for shock loss it depends on how weak the hairs were in the crown as to whether they survived.

Do you think that adding hair tattoos to the crown helps adding greater illusion of density ? There's a hair tattoo clinic close to Hasson&Wong clinic

Yes it can help with the illusion of density but I would wait it out for the full year before you make any decisions on what do. Crowns always take longer and you might reach your goals without the need for the SMP.

6 months is nothing especially when the crown is concerned.

I feel this is one of them cases where is fits & starts but will come good by the full 18months.

just need a little more patients.

BaldPatient2:

I agree with the other members. 6 months is very early. Most physicians suggest waiting 18 months before evaluating the results.

Research, research, research!

Doctors I'm considering:

FUT:

-Feller

-Hasson

-Konior

BaldPatient2,

I thought I would give you and the community a better idea of where you are at this stage. I agree with everyone that it is still early to assess the final result. I do have access to your pre-op photos taken here at the clinic the morning of surgery and have compared them to your most recent photos. I think this will shed a better light on how things are shaping up. I see a nice transformation and improvement with more expected to come. It is often the case we don't remember what we looked like before surgery. Often patients coming back for their follow up visits are surprised at how thin or bald they were before their procedure. I hope this helps.

And thank you David for interjecting on this thread.

ba-1.jpg

ba-f-c.jpg

ba-f-k.jpg

ba-f-0.jpg

ba-l.jpg

ba-r.jpg

ba-r-c.jpg

I am a salaried employee of Hasson and Wong since 2001. Opinions expressed are my own.

Hassonandwong.com

BaldPatient2,

I thought I would give you and the community a better idea of where you are at this stage. I agree with everyone that it is still early to assess the final result. I do have access to your pre-op photos taken here at the clinic the morning of surgery and have compared them to your most recent photos. I think this will shed a better light on how things are shaping up. I see a nice transformation and improvement with more expected to come. It is often the case we don't remember what we looked like before surgery. Often patients coming back for their follow up visits are surprised at how thin or bald they were before their procedure. I hope this helps.

And thank you David for interjecting on this thread.

ba-1.jpg

ba-f-c.jpg

ba-f-k.jpg

ba-f-0.jpg

ba-l.jpg

ba-r.jpg

ba-r-c.jpg

Hi ,

Thank you for the follow up. The photos taken outdoors in a bus stop and the photos taken in the clinic aren't taken under the same lighting and angle. My after pictures would look worse under strong light, so that's why I compared my after pictures to pictures taken last year exactly in the same spot to be more accurate . I think the pictures taken in the clinic were using strong lighting, if you compare them to pictures taken in the bus shelter just few months before surgery.

I'm coming next week to see Dr Wong in person and take 7 months post-op pictures , feel free to post them in this thread

BaldPatient2, it was nice to see you at the clinic this week. As per your request, I have posted photos we took here just short of the 7 month mark post-op to compare with your pre-op pics. I want to give a little more information and my opinion on your case and touch on a few things we discussed on your visit. When I saw you, my thoughts were there is a considerable cosmetic improvement taking shape. While I understand it is as thick as you would like, the difference is considerable and we expect continued improve in the coming months. We had 2902 graft to work with. Of these 2902, 922 were single hair grafts, 1753 were doubles and 227 were 3-4 hair grafts. Your hair is also on the finer side. I believe you wanted some small improvement in the crown which made sense so 400 grafts were committed there. Of course this small number is not expected to make a very big impact but I think the subtle difference justified this decision. This left around 2,500 for the frontal zone and some mid scalp. Especially with finer hair, we would have liked to have something closer to 4,000 to work with ideally in these areas but the less than ideal number is what Dr. Wong had to work with. We wouldn’t expect a very dense result, but a nice cosmetic improvement nonetheless. As we say, it is a numbers game, the more we have for any given area, the thicker and denser we can make it. If you had only had one previous procedure, maybe Dr. Wong could have harvested a larger number of grafts and placed more in the frontal zone and mid scalp. As he mentioned you still have a decent number of grafts in reserve. If necessary we can add more to the front after everything grows in. In the end we do want you to be happy and Dr. Wong will add to the front if you desire at some stage. Dr. Wong can only play the hand he’s dealt when it comes to harvesting and placing grafts. If you were a virgin patient when he first saw you, maybe things would be different. However, you still in my option have something that looks natural and much better than if you were bald or thinning significantly and we will take the necessary steps to help you achieve further improvement if further surgery is your desire. Let’s see how it looks in a few more months. As a side note, I have also included photos of the scar as Dr. Wong combined the 2 scars from your previous 2 procedures into one. See you in a few months.

ba-f.jpg

ba-f-c.jpg

ba-f-c-2.jpg

ba-f-t.jpg

ba-r.jpg

ba-r-c.jpg

ba-b.jpg

placement.jpg

postop1.jpg

postop-2.jpg

ba-postop.jpg

I am a salaried employee of Hasson and Wong since 2001. Opinions expressed are my own.

Hassonandwong.com

Thanks Doug. Just wanted to clarify that I didn't have just one procedure, I already had a couple of procedures with another clinic and the total of three procedures is 6900 grafts not 2900 grafts which were added only in the third procedure and there was already some coverage done by the other clinic.

If 2900 grafts were done on a bare scalp , I would have expected it to be thin.But there was already some coverage to support the additional 2900 grafts.

So I was expecting to have thick hair as I discussed my goals with the consultant James before surgery. I have even asked him if I would need to continue to use Toppik after surgery and he answered " No , what's the point of having a surgery then?", So the fact that I still rely on Toppik after the surgery to make it look good proves that the results didn't meet my expectations. Also James already gave an estimate of a minimum 3000 grafts which is close to what Dr Wong was able to pull ( 2902) grafts, so my expectations was to get thick hair with this number of grafts added to an area with some existing coverage.

Edited by BaldPatient2

This is my take on it, if I may.

If this patient stays the same by month 12 to max 18 I would say considering there was hair already there I would say for 2900 grafts would be a sub par result.

but saying that you also got to say there is still more time for growth & maturing to come for this particular case to improve somewhat, how much? its anyone's guess.

You can clearly see there has been approvements from the start but looking at it right now seem to be a little short but I stress & we all seen it on the 11th hr things start to happen agin, so I guess time will tell & patients is key to this particular case.

Edited by ontop
typo

This is my take on it, if I may.

If this patient stays the same by month 12 to max 18 I would say considering there was hair already there I would say for 2900 grafts would be a sub par result.

but saying that you also got to say there is still more time for growth & maturing to come for this particular case to improve somewhat, how much? its anyone's guess.

You can clearly see there has been approvements from the start but looking at it right now seem to be a little short but I stress & we all seen it on the 11th hr things start to happen agin, so I guess time will tell & patients is key to this particular case.

From my experience with previous surgeries, there's not much growth after month 6, even Dr Wong admitted that any new growth at this stage would be minimal. Also I think most of hair has matured because I no longer see fine hair that just came out . I haven't seen any improvement since last month, so I'm not positive it would improve.

Edited by BaldPatient2

I do understand & respect your concerns & im somewhat agreed with yourself, about most of the transplanted hair at this time would of shown but thats not a given in all cases though.

In your case I would say yes most of the transplanted hair has come through so it could be a matter of them maturing somewhat, again how much nobody can say.

Dr Blake...put a post up a few wks ago about which describes nicely what im trying to say here, take a look at blakes post, it makes a good read & what he says is what ive seen over my time of research.

I sure hope this will put your mind at rest buddy, but dont loose hope just yet, you come so far but I guess feel after 3 Hts you feel a liitle short changed & I get where your coming from at this particular time, but try to stay positive even though its almost impossible for you right now but things can & do change & the truth be seen in the coming month's.

keep ya chin up, the fat lady not singing just yet buddy.

link below.

Edited by ontop
edit

In your case I would say yes most of the transplanted hair has come through so it could be a matter of them maturing somewhat, again how much nobody can say.

If it was a matter of maturing I would notice fine hair like the ones I saw at month 4 and 5. Like in the link you just posted above the patient could see that his new grown hair still look fine. Also the fact that I haven't see any improvement since last month is a sign that it already stopped growing and maturing.

I would say lets see what these next few months will bring & like I said you have made significant improvements of framing your face & where you started at.

but again like I said also if this last HT dont have any improvement then I would also feel short changed especially after several HTs right?

Just try to be a little more patient & lets see how the next coming months will bring.

im routing for you trust me.

If you were a Norwood 6 to start with im not sure how good a result you can hope for with surgical hair restoration? A Norwood 6 is very advanced loss & to be honest sometimes there just isnt enough donor & i think you look quite good - especially from the front. If your donor is expired perhaps a surgeon very skilled with bht could help you with extra density?

From my experience with previous surgeries, there's not much growth after month 6, even Dr Wong admitted that any new growth at this stage would be minimal. Also I think most of hair has matured because I no longer see fine hair that just came out . I haven't seen any improvement since last month, so I'm not positive it would improve.

No new growth after 6 month? This means I'm also screwed.