FUE "face-down" time?

Shampoo

For any of you guys that have already had a FUE or especially guys that have had both FUT & FUE surgeries I had a question about the FUE procedure.

I have some degree of panic/anxiety and the "face down" time during a transplant is particularly trying on me.

I have only had FUT surgeries. So basically the "face down" time is mostly limited to when they remove the donor strip all at once.

How much does the "face down" time differ with FUE?

I assume since they are taking out the follicles one at a time that the "face down" time is much greater with a FUE surgery?

For example my "face down" time during my recent surgery for 2700 graft FUT seemed to be about an hour.....what would the "face down" time be with a 2700 graft FUE surgery?

Edited by Shampoo

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

You can probably expect to be in that position for an hour or two but you may be allowed a brief rest occasionally as well. Also don't forget they'll be taking grafts from the sides as well so you won't always be facing down.

I am an online representative for Farjo Hair Institute

Dr. Bessam Farjo is an esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions shared are my own.

You can probably expect to be in that position for an hour or two

Thanks Pete....that is a lot better than I thought...

only an hour or two "face down" time for a 2700 graft FUE sounds tolerable.

Shampoo,

I think you would be looking at more than an hour or two of "face down" time for a 2,700 graft FUE procedure. I suppose it depends on how they extract the grafts, but 2,700 in 1-2 hours is very, very fast. And remember that speed is not equal to skill or quality in FUE!

I do all FUTs and mFUEs with the patients sitting up in a motorized dental-like chair. But I do my FUE extractions with the patients laying face down -- "prone" as we call it in the "biz." I generally restrict the sizes of my FUE procedures, but I think our patients generally spend around 3 hours laying face down. And they definitely feel it.

I would ask the clinic you're considering for FUE. Remember that you do move around a bit -- to extract from the "sides" -- and most doctors will give you breaks too. So it's not quite like you're laying face down all day. But I do usually get a few comments from FUE patients about how surprised they were with the amount of "face down" time.

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

our patients generally spend around 3 hours laying face down. And they definitely feel it

Thanks Dr. Blake....I am only a month or so post-op from my final FUT, but was just curious since if I ever need additional surgery I will need to switch over to FUE. I would think mega-session FUE surgeries would be a nightmare on "face down" time....thank God I will never need that.

Thanks Pete....that is a lot better than I thought...

only an hour or two "face down" time for a 2700 graft FUE sounds tolerable.

Hi Shampoo,

I replied without noticing the size of FUE procedure you were referring to. 2700 grafts by fue is a big procedure and would certainly require a lengthy amount of 'face down' time.

To give you an idea, I myself underwent a 2000 graft fue procedure with Dr. Lorenzo when he worked alongside us in 2013. The extraction time was probably around five hours and I was face down for around half of that time.

Pete

I am an online representative for Farjo Hair Institute

Dr. Bessam Farjo is an esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions shared are my own.

I would also add that the length of face-down time probably seems a lot worse in theory than in practice. I'm not sure how long I was face down for my 2,000 graft FUE, but I do know that I don't remember it being an issue. Dr. Mohebi made sure that I was never in the same position for an extended period of time, and they did frequent checkins to make sure I wasn't getting restless. Face down, left side, right side, place grafts, more extraction face down, right side, place more grafts, etc. Not to mention you'll be highly medicated, so it will all seem quite hazy after it's all said and done - and you may even get some zzzzs in there while you're at it. :)

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

I had a 5,125 graft procedure over several days in 2012. I had quite a bit of face-down time but honestly, I slept through quite a bit of it. I was given a common medication to help me relax during the procedure. I would remember looking at the digital board showing the number of grafts being removed. I would wake up and ask Dr. Vories how long I dozed off? He would reply that I was asleep for about 350 grafts. The time flew by for me.

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.