chlamydia, treatment and FUE

Hey guys,

So I had FUE just last week, Today I got a dreaded call from an STD result saying I had chlamydia.

She said I need a course of doxycycline. I really don't feel comfortable sharing this info with my hair transplant doc. He has good results, which is why I chose him, but he isn't very approachable. Besides, after a little googling, doxycycline is used pretty exclusively for chlamydia, so there is no way I could just pretend it's for something else.

Is it ok to use this? Will it have any effect on my hair transplant?

thanks guys

In the UK we use Doxycycline for multiple types of infections, it certainly isn't associated with having Chlamydia! It should have no effect on your hair transplant.

Agree with others, Doxycycline is not just associated with Chlamydia. But you do need to email the clinic to let them know that you are going to be using it so they have a record of this and are happy for you to do so.

It should have no adverse effect with your results but check with your clinic as it is so soon after surgery.

Senior Patient Advisor for Dr Edward Ball of The Maitland Clinic.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of The Maitland Clinic.

Formerly Garageland of Hasson & Wong with 20 years of history in Hair Restoration.

Meet with myself for a free consultation and advice in London on June 21st 2018.

Agree with others, Doxycycline is not just associated with Chlamydia. But you do need to email the clinic to let them know that you are going to be using it so they have a record of this and are happy for you to do so.

It should have no adverse effect with your results but check with your clinic as it is so soon after surgery.

Thanks to everyone for replying.

Do you think there's a problem taking it so soon after? I can hold of as I haven't got any symptoms and long term damage doesn't kick in for over a year (according to what I've just read online).

I really would rather not share it with my doctor.

He's a doctor...what is the issue with sharing that information with him? Doctors are trained to deal with this sort of stuff. I really doubt he's going to go tell all his friends that a patient of his was being treated for an STD. It's really not that big of a deal.

Dude..long term damage of what? Chlamydia? I hope that isn't what you are saying. You need to get that squared away asap. I have no reason to believe it would effect your transplant at all.

Take care of it before you spread it. Antibiotics are used on HT patients all of the time.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

• Administrators

Take care of it before you spread it. Antibiotics are used on HT patients all of the time.

lol this^ next time wrap it before you tap it.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Dude..long term damage of what? Chlamydia? I hope that isn't what you are saying. You need to get that squared away asap. I have no reason to believe it would effect your transplant at all.

Thanks man. The only reason I thought it may have been problematic is due to an earlier thread that I found on this forum where a doctor seems to suggest that antibiotics could have an effect on growth:

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/176615-does-using-antibiotics-has-bad-effect-hair-transplant-result.html

This is not evidence at all that antibiotics affect growth.

It is prescribed when patients recipients get inflamed.

Also, left untreated, the infection can spread to other parts of your body and can cause serious problems.

Take the meds, but if it makes you feel any better, call your HT surgeon. I know you are saying that you would rather not tell him, but he or she is a doctor. He has seen a lot, and your STD is not going to phase him at all.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Thanks for the firm words Spanker. Called my doc and he said there'll be no impact on the ht, and if anything the meds will help against inconsequential foliculitis. It's as though I caught chlamydia on purpose ;)

Glad to hear that you reached out to your Doc. This antibiotic is used for foliculitus so you have no worries. Hope you get sorted ok.

Senior Patient Advisor for Dr Edward Ball of The Maitland Clinic.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of The Maitland Clinic.

Formerly Garageland of Hasson & Wong with 20 years of history in Hair Restoration.

Meet with myself for a free consultation and advice in London on June 21st 2018.