Need advice, help!! 22 y/o male

Ok guys here we go. Been doing a considerable amount of research on hair restoration for about 1 year (probably too much research for someone my age). This is my situation....

22 year old male strongly considering a hair transplantation (I know my age is a major turn off for people but please hear me out). Always had a naturally high hairline and even began losing some hair at the age of 17. I always kind of shrugged it off as I was able to style my hair to cover it up pretty good. It wasn't until around my 21st birthday when things started to get bad. It's almost as if one day I looked at my head and said "where did all my hair go?" It hit me like a ton of bricks. I wont get too far into my feelings as we all know the devastation that hair loss can bring.

I began using Rogaine foam at about age 18 in hopes that it would stop the progression of my hair loss, don't think it's helped much but it doesn't hurt either, I still use it to this day. I have been on 1mg Finasteride for 11 months now and I believe this has helped me immensely, I also use Nizoral shampoo once daily. I have taken the "Big 3" approach to fight my hair loss. My only regret in fighting against MPB is not getting on Finasteride the day I turned 18 years old as I think this has been the most effective drug for me.

Anyways, here is where I am looking for some feedback from the community. My brother, who is 6 years older than me and has a nearly identical hair loss pattern to me, has stopped losing hair. Here is where I see some hope. He has had the same hairline since he was about 23 (turning 29 very soon,) but has NEVER used meds, and has the same amount of hair loss then, as he does now. That's almost 6 years of no hair loss using no medication. It seems his hair loss progression has almost naturally stopped. This is where is see the light at the end of the tunnel for myself. Is it possible that using the "Big 3" and comparing my future hair loss to my brother that I have completely stopped my hair loss. I used to see 40-50 hairs in my hand in the shower every time, now i see maybe 5. I used to see a lot of hair on my pillow in the morning, now I see much less. I truly believe I have significantly slowed down if not completely stopped my hair loss using the Big Three.

Here is where I believe I am candidate for an HT.

- slowed down if not stopped progression of hair loss

- extremely thick donor

- don't want to lower the hairline (maybe a few hundred grafts in crown)

- I believe I have have reasonable expectations, meaning --> I know I will never have the hair I truly desire, I know I will not have Brad Pitt's hairline

- willing to get more than 1 surgery in the future

- willing to go somewhat conservative

- willing to pay a lot of $$ and travel for top doctor

- willing to continue with Finasteride post surgery (I would even like to try something stronger I have seen zero side effects)

Here is my best case scenario in my mind. I get a great HT that I am happy with. This first hair transplant keeps me happy for 6 - 8 years while continuing with medication. By the year 2022 or 2023, science has given us great methods for fighting back against hair loss and no more surgeries required.

- Is my best case scenario that unreasonable or am I just being too optimistic??

I will attach pictures below.

I am strongly considering getting a hair transplant. I have narrowed down my search to a handful of doctors. Please I would love to hear feed back from anyone and everyone!!!(especially Spex).

Thanks so much guys, we are in this together.

IMG_9328.thumb.jpg.3a78644b5d056dcf66e4e1ffaea94fa4.jpg

IMG_9027.thumb.JPG.c568835157a0657231d0520bfafb5921.JPG

IMG_9110.thumb.jpg.5cb4e598f0a9f249a46991acf363b3e4.jpg

IMG_9101.thumb.jpg.f34391879d58373df058a82666da0dea.jpg

IMG_9031.thumb.jpg.1e72ed6f5a83a90cafe60312efd7b992.jpg

Edited by David - Moderator

Thanks for the write up. Although you are young I feel improving ONLY your hairline with have a huge affect not only on your appearance but also your mental state. Loosing hair at the young age has a huge affect on someones self esteem.

These are the conditions you would need in order to have a top doctor accept you.

1) Meds have stabilized your hairloss

2) Only in the hairline and not in the crown

3) You have a mature hairline so that in the future it looks ok and you have enough grafts to fill in back if possible. Don't let a high hairline scare you its about density just look at Johnny Depp hairline its higher but dense. Not saying you will get this type of hairline.

4) You chose a top doctor that cares about your future as well.

Good luck!

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

Johny Depp and Bradley Cooper hairlines.

depp-heard-black-mass-15sept15-21.jpg.12f889ab6850c02a79e58f4f0b265b76.jpg

Bradley-Cooper-Receding-The-Beglravia-Centre.jpg.c4a4a177e9c23e7273227755609a175e.jpg

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

Are you taking finasteride (propecia) yet? I started taking it at 23 and am now 41. Saved my hair

3185 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 2/17/16

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/182611-fut-3185-dr-rahal-day-after-pics.html

1204 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 3/27/17

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/186586-round-2-rahal-1204-fut-frontal-third-same-area.html

---> total of 4389 grafts to my frontal third via FUT

---> 1mg finasteride daily since 1999:)

Are you taking finasteride (propecia) yet? I started taking it at 23 and am now 41. Saved my hair

Yes I have been taking 1mg Finasteride everyday for 11 months. I believe it has absolutely slowed down my hair loss if not stopped it completely. My only regret is not starting it the day i turned 18. I might not be in this position I am in right now.

I think I can only dream of a hairline like Johhny Depp or Bradley Cooper. Not sure if the best surgeon in the world would able to get me this look.

Don't look at the density but how high the hairline is.

There are exceptions for everything. Why not send some online consults and see what they say.

This guy is 24 I believe. He is actually a twin and his brother was full of hair. He was so depressed he wouldn't leave the house. His mother called me crying thanking me for changing his sons life. He used to live with a hat and never wanted to go anywhere.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/182550-dr-wong-4028-grafts-fut-1-session-7-months-post-op.html

If you notice his hairline is not low at all.

Result looks great. I am not looking to lower my hair line. I am also note opposed to natural recession. I simply want a strong hair line with more density in the frontal third. Maybe a hundred grafts in the crown, maybe.

I am sure that is possible. You sound realistic with your goals. Your strong hairline depends a lot on who you chose and if they believe in high density and large sessions.

If you have any questions let me know.

• Administrators

Honestly, I don't think you should consider surgery yet, 22 is so young for the amount of hair loss you have, just because your brother who's 29 hasn't progressed doesn't mean you wont. My brother is 39 and is a norwood 1 and my dad is 59 and norwood 2, I really don't put much thought in to family history because MPB genes are expressed so differently in individuals.

I don't think its really safe to predict your hair loss at this age even if you're on the big 3, I know how much it sucks to lose hair young, but at your age its better to try and maintain instead of having surgery, remember surgery is a permanent thing and most likely something you'll have to continue to do throughout the years, will you be in an financial position to afford this? what if the surgery fails? after you've done surgery and have permanent scars you're pretty much giving up the chance to ever truly shave. Even with FUE you'll see scars although much less than FUT, they will still be there.

Just to show you how unpredictable hair loss can be in your 20's I went from almost no visible hair loss to norwood 6. Keep in mind i've had two transplants with no grafts to my crown otherwise my whole head would be as thin as my crown. If I would have had a transplant at age 22 it could have been a disaster. Maintenance should be your main goal, if you are destined to be norwood 6/7 hair loss will become VERY aggressive in your mid to late 20's, if you chase your hair loss with procedures you may be in a tough situation once you reach your late 20's something to think about.

This was me at 24 years of age

FPxt73I.jpg

Now at 31

jtpTyor.jpg

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

First of all nice Mohawk. Are you happy with having only your hairline done. I do agree with a lot of what you are saying that is why I only recommend the hairline. At least if you lose your back the front will still remain. I know he is young but even if it buys him some time to enjoy his youth and gain some self esteem, His hairline is almost all gone so I think as long as it mature it should be alright.

As I said it is an exception and I am not a doctor.

• Administrators
First of all nice Mohawk. Are you happy with having only your hairline done. I do agree with a lot of what you are saying that is why I only recommend the hairline. At least if you lose your back the front will still remain. I know he is young but even if it buys him some time to enjoy his youth and gain some self esteem, His hairline is almost all gone so I think as long as it mature it should be alright.

As I said it is an exception and I am not a doctor.

I'm happy with what i've had done which is the hairline and midscalp, believe me I can totally understand what it feels like to be bald young, but I don't think his pattern has been established yet so it's hard to really have a good game plan for him just yet.

Because hair loss is so unpredictable especially at his age, I just feel that it's a gamble, i'd hate for him to be stuck with something that looks unnatural or he's unhappy about. I think for now he can use Toppik and dermmatch and conceal his hair loss and monitor his progression, 11 months is still a bit too soon to say the hair loss has slowed down or stopped. Btw Conte to Chelsea huh, I wonder if Massimo Allegri will ever get a procedure done, he's the perfect candidate.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

How about Leichester City, absolutely incredible.I sent Conte a message but I think he changed his phone. He changed his number quite often. I talked to someone about Allegri and he is not too concerned at this moment. Del Piero is very interested in getting his hairline strengthened. Since he will be spending a lot of time in the future doing commercials.

As for this poster I agree his pattern is not established but I think regardless of his age his hairline can get re established and strengthened.

I agree with Htsoon. He always gives great advice especially for younger people. Don't rush into anything you might regret later. Nobody is saying you are not a candidate but at your age it's hard to tell where you will end up. Hair loss can turn aggressive at any time. You are doing the right thing by trying the meds but at some point they may not have efficiency anymore. Don't put too much stock in what your brothers hair loss is. My brothers have completely different hair patterns than I do. You are not a lost cause so don't think that is what we are saying. You should start meeting with doctors that have ethics and won't steer you in the wrong way.

To the op, you did the right thing getting on meds. This buys you time. You've obviously thought a lot about it, so I'd say go for it. If you pick a reputable doctor they can discuss the implications of your age. My understanding is that youth is a factor as the loss could continue, but you're on meds so that takes away that variable. I'm in my early 30s and my loss could also quite feasibly continue.

I am not disagreeing with anyone about age. I think you would ONLY give him a new hairline. You should give him the same hairline as if he was 40 and a NW6. Its important that he continues to take the meds to save him crown. If he continues to lose his hair he will have a hairline but nothing in the back. This is not a perfect situation but either is losing your hair at a young age.

I won't comment on your situation specifically because I think the sailent points have already been mentioned. Kudos on having the right attitude, though! Whatever you decide, having realistic expectations and being willing to commit to meds and a top doc will serve you immeasurably well.

All the best :)