Propecia is putting me off having Hts grrrrr

Churchies,

Propecia (finasteride) isn't necessarily required to have a hair transplant, but understand that if you are at high risk for future hair loss, you and your hair restoration physician should plan ultra conservatively. Hair loss is progressive, but hair transplantation can be even riskier in young patients, if hair loss is noticeably agressive, in men or women who just started losing their hair, or if there are no signs of stabilization. Thus, it's vital for hair transplant surgeons to use donor hair wisely as if you were going to advance to the highest stages of hair loss.

Best of luck!

Bill

• 4 weeks later...

Im kind of at your place now. A few years ago, I did do Propecia for about a year and had great results. In fact, I was happier with my hair during that time and for about a year after I stopped then I had been for sometime. Looking back, I think I almost got cocky thinking that when I had started Propecia in the first place, my hair really wasnt that bad. Boy was I wrong. I never really noticed a shed but believe over time, the regrowth stopped. Im at a point of getting hair transplants to fill in some spots.

I just started Propecia again this week and dead worried about the side as well. I didnt have any side effects when I was on it for that one year and, even though you read horror stories, statisically things are you in your favor if you try it.

I still am on the fence whether Propecia causes permanent side effects like some people claim. You never know what type of lifestyle these people live. Are these gym rats that are making these claims or people who drink, smoke, and over eat? In the placebo study on Propecia itself, some people claimed some of the sexual side effects....so it's hard to tell what's related to Propecia and what is not. Good luck!

I am also on the same boat but not because i am afraid of the sides but because i had them and i had to quit. Thankfully i am back to normal but i am afraid to even touch the drug after the sides i had. I dont want to go close to an antiandrogen even if it is a shampooo like nizoral.

i suspect many people are in the same boat and what makes the decision even more difficult is that you cant find easily results from people who are not on the drug. I hear all the time is not necessary and you have to be conservative but i dont see any results of people that dont use drugs. I only remember biscuits results but he was a nw3 and not a diffuse thinner.

I am starting to think that clinics do not post them because they are not so good and people will not like what transplants can do on their own.

how many people are nw6 and had a transplant and have posted their results?if there is anybody come forward icon_wink.gif

Churchies49,

In my opinion, there is really only a very small portion of the population who experience side effects from Propecia. That being said, there is no drug that doesn't cause side effects in somebody. The active ingredient in Propecia, which is Finasteride, works by blocking the conversion of testosterone into DHT and has been more commonly used to treat an enlarged prostate. There are 5mg tablets of Finasteride because men who suffer from an enlarged prostrate or BHP (benign prostatic hypertrophy)take the entire tablet daily and are thus more prone to any side effects because of the amount.

1mg or 1.25mg of Finasteride is a relatively small amount, and although I'm sure there is the rare patient that experiences side effects, it seems to be a non-issue for the great majority.

There is actually a positive side effect for any male HT recipient that is unknowingly developing, or perhaps will develop, an enlarged prostrate. Not a bad deal if Finasteride maintains a healthy head of hair, and helps you avoid problems associated with an enlarged prostrate. Those symptoms are having to urinate frequently, or not being able to urinate at all so that a catheter has to be shoved up the urethra into the bladder.(yeccch!) As if losing your hair wasn't bad enough!

Some of you might enjoy reading more about Finasteride and BHP here:

http://men.emedtv.com/finaster...e-%28proscar%29.html

Interesting Stuff!

Panama Jimmy

Thats very nice and all and it would be cool to hit two birds with one stone but what i ve seen in these forums and what i experienced is a bit different. It seems like the majority is suffering from a degree of sideeffects..other have moodswings or depression... othes is a lose of morning wood and less desire and in the worst case not to be able to get it up.

But thats not the point the point is, is it really worth it to have a transplant if you cant or dont want to take propecia. Is it worth all this money?How are the results? I wish we could see more results of people who dont take medication.

Originally posted by aw33:

You can wait for your hair loss to stabilize without Propecia and then do an HT.

There is a very big problem with that...

No one knows what your hair loss PATTERN will be..

Unless you're 45 or 50 plus you will never know for sure if you're done shedding hair.