Advice on Scar?

Hi

Im going to keep this short and to the point.

I have had a FUT procedure around 8 years ago with a Top coalition DR. had around 2k grafts placed into front quarter.

over the years i had had my hair fairly long on sides and back (grade 5 or above)

Recently had my hair cut shorter (Grade 2) and saw the scar that had been left.

Scar is around 31 cm long from ear to ear.

scar depth is around 11mm

this doesn't seem right to me and wanted to get some honest advice as to what you think is a fair scar?

I was led to believe that the scar would have been a fine line, this clearly is not a fine line.

What options do i have?

Thanks

5b32ec022ea47_Scarback.jpg.c7535955f13b61aa964ab52449957df9.jpg

5b32ec023aa42_Scarright.jpg.cd48a57a357f100e661134dc5cf991b2.jpg

5b32ec024a3bf_Scarleft.jpg.73669d83c4bb8d7a039b76a537bba9a2.jpg

5b32ec025ec70_Front2copy.jpg.ea5032322a0d6882b89f6d40f570219e.jpg

5b32ec0276300_Top1copy.jpg.7c2b66644a4f2964cc13289038928249.jpg

Thats pretty typical imo. pretty easy fix tho these days. jus combine FUE with SMP and it will disappear. A lot of FUT scars are fine lines and thats what they sell you but over time many have scars that stretch.

Im sure that they neglected to mention that but thats actually one of the better ones I've seen that has stretched but it does prevent one from cutting their hair very low obviously

Doesn't look terrible or great. Just an average FUT scar. I had one like that too, maybe even wider. I got FUE into and it looks better. I plan on doing a little more to it and adding SMP so hopefully I can wear a 2/3 blade. Good luck

I agree. It's not the best, but not the worst either. As the others have mentioned, you do have options with FUE and SMP, so not all hope is lost.

In the meantime, it's good that you're used to having a longer haircut and can pull that off. I would just let it grow back out until you can come up with a solid game plan.

If you're planning on having another strip procedure, you could also have this scar removed in the process and (hopefully) have a better one form in its place. 8 years is a decent amount of time and I'm sure techniques and technology (not to mention the doctors) have gotten even better since then. Something to think about.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Your scar doesn't look bad from a surgical point of view however, when you wear your hair that short on the sides and back of your scalp a strip scar will typically be visible.

In my opinion you have several options. I will list them below.

1. Grow the hair on the sides and back of your head a little longer so that it's not visible. I wear my hair on the sides and back pretty short but still longer then how you are wearing it and my scar is hardly visible. As a case in point, I shave the sides and back using a four clip. I've gone as high as of seven clip and my hair is still quite short but no scar is visible.

2. Consider scalp micro pigmentation (SMP) in the scar. Permanent scalp micro pigmentation may leave the scar discolored after several years so you may want to consider temporary scalp micro pigmentation. The downside is you will have to repeat the procedure every couple of years.

3. Consider FUE in the scar. By adding hair into the scar, the scar will be further camouflaged and less visible even when you keep your hair cropped short.

4. Consider scar repair surgery. I don't necessarily recommend this because your scar is and all that wide to begin with. But in this option, another strip will be taken and the wound would be close with an attempt to make a scar sin I don't necessarily recommend this because your scar isn't all that wide to begin with. But in this option, another strip would be taken and the wound would be close with an attempt to make a scar thinner. One advantage of this method is that you can also couple it with another hair transplant if you need more hair in the recipient area. That said, there is a risk that the storm may be even wider after a second procedure than it is now.

Out of the above options I would personally consider the first three depending on your goals.

Best wishes,

Bill

That's really not a bad scar. I've seen better, but it's no worse than average. Like Bill said, I really wouldn't do a scar revision. That's a roll of the dice, and I don't think a good repair doctor would suggest that route for this scar. Do some FUE into the scar and you'll get a really nice outcome. I've seen Jerry Cooley do really nice work in this regard. You could even follow that up with some SMP. But I really do think a scar revision would be ill-advised; there's a good chance that this is just how you scar and that you would end up with an identical result. (Especially given that this was a coalition doctor's work, which means the closure was probably very good.) Some people just don't heal in a way that results in nearly invisible scars (I'm one of them).

Maybe over the next few years you could experiment with different grades of cutting. You know, first try a 4 rather than the 5 you've been used to that conceals the scar. Then maybe a 3? Obviously the 2 was a shocker. The smaller the number the shorter the hair.

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

If you know you have that scar .... why o why are you cutting your hair that short?

i have a similar scar .... and no one knows ive had a HT because i get low cut fades so theres a lot of hair around the scar, and then add some dermmatch in the scar area to blend with the hairs.

The scar is wide. Look at FUE grafting for the surgical solution. How do you intend to wear your hair after treating the scar?

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians