The hairs that don't shed, but also don't grow.

I'm almost at 2 months post op and I'd say that 5% of my hairs have continued growing, but I have another 5% of hairs that haven't shed yet, but also haven't grown at all. They're basically the short length that they were at day 1 post op and just don't want to shed out or grow.

Is there anyone else here who had hairs like this? Can this mean dead grafts with hairs stuck in the skin? Or does hair follicle survival not matter with this and they're just weird stubborn hairs?

If the hairs aren't shedding, they will likely need to be freed. Try massaging the scalp more to help these inactive hairs fall.

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

If the hairs aren't shedding, they will likely need to be freed. Try massaging the scalp more to help these inactive hairs fall

Except mine are firmly stuck in the scalp, much like a beard hair is

I have a similar scenario in a particular area maybe 1/2 inch squared, i'm about 6 week post op. It was under the last heavy scabs to fall off also (about 4 weeks). Hoping that the scabbing held up the growth/shedding and the follicle will be fine but definitely concerned.

You'll need to "assist" the hairs. Don't be fooled into thinking its meant to stay just because it's holding on tight. By no means should you scrub and pick at it, but vigorous shampooing is absolutely recommended with the pads of your fingers. I still had hair sticking around at 6 weeks-a little more liberal with the shampooing and the majority fell. It's normal, don't try and prevent the inevitable from happening.

If the graft hair is still stuck in the scalp at 2 months or more post-op, it's undoubtedly dead hair and agree that it needs some massaging to remove.

Let's also remember that once the transplanted follicles go into their dormant phase, they will rest for approximately 3 months before entering a new growth phase.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

You'll need to "assist" the hairs. Don't be fooled into thinking its meant to stay just because it's holding on tight. By no means should you scrub and pick at it, but vigorous shampooing is absolutely recommended with the pads of your fingers. I still had hair sticking around at 6 weeks-a little more liberal with the shampooing and the majority fell. It's normal, don't try and prevent the inevitable from happening.

Gents i just used a cotton ball with some aloe/witch hazel solution and gave the area a good rub and a bunch of the hairs came off. Thanks for the advice esrec!! Lets hope the follicle is in good shape underneath! :)

If the graft hair is still stuck in the scalp at 2 months or more post-op, it's undoubtedly dead hair and agree that it needs some massaging to remove.

Let's also remember that once the transplanted follicles go into their dormant phase, they will rest for approximately 3 months before entering a new growth phase.

I have a similar situation, my question is. If these hairs/stubble don't fall out do they in any way hinder the growth of the new hair ?

Having thousands of fu's as we all do it would be very hard to determine if all the hairs have actually fallen. Are we then losing a portion of our fu's ?

I wanna know this too please

They will fall, if they don't, you need to assist them. The implanted hair can appear quite sturdy to the touch and definitely requires a good shampooing. Again don't force the issue, but it's not uncommon for some to take longer to fall than others.

At week 5 I had a lot of hair sticking around. I was hoping I was one of the fortunate few that kept some hair that just continued to grow out. In rare situations this happens. After a few more liberal shampooing sessions most of it began to fall. I'd say 10% did stick around.

Best advice-consult your clinic. When I sent pics I was told it was being too gentle. I was.

Massaging the scalp over the past few days did nothing.

I pulled one of them out with a tweezer and was basically the same as pulling out a normal living hair rather than sliding out. They definitely don't seem to want to leave.

Massaging the scalp over the past few days did nothing.

I pulled one of them out with a tweezer and was basically the same as pulling out a normal living hair rather than sliding out. They definitely don't seem to want to leave

Same here. And I dont wanna try and pull anymore out for fear of losing possible grafts.

I also noticed however some of them seem to fall out by themselves over time.

So I'm gonna just wait it out

Same here. And I dont wanna try and pull anymore out for fear of losing possible grafts.

I also noticed however some of them seem to fall out by themselves over time.

So I'm gonna just wait it out

Ditto... I'm 3 mnths out and can't really tell if they are grafts that haven't fallen or are grafts starting to grow.

And I'm still not clear if the fu's that haven't fallen out are in any way hindering new growth.

I have vigorously shampooed but to no avail. They are not going anywhere. And as Dutchie said I will not pluck them, I'm just concerned if they are a hindrance.

Contact your clinic.

If you're beyond week 6, most of the hair should have fallen. If you're before 6 weeks, continue to massage your scalp while shampooing. I would NOT tweeze or force anything. That's not once been recommended to anyone lol.

If the graft hair is left in the scalp too long yes it can potentially be more difficult to remove because the dead hair can start adhering to the scalp.

While it should not prevent regrowth from the grafts, the newly grown hair needs a path to grow through. In addition, sometimes that dead hair can begin to fester in the scalp and sooner or later it has to be removed because it is not serving any purpose.

In time, the dead hair remaining will become more obvious because they will not continue to grow. That may help to identify which hair is dead graft hair.

I would highly recommend that each of you contact your respective doctors and see what they will want you to do to address this issue.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

According to this site a terminal hair growing in place of a stuck telogen hair is quite normal and shouldnt cause a hindrance:

hair biology - hair follicle growth cycle

Diagram showing a resting hair follicle returning from resting telogen to growing anagen. If the old fiber has not already fallen out it is pushed out by the new hair fiber growing underneath

telogenanagenhairfollicle.gif

When I first attacked the area to remove the crusting resting on the hairs I got a bit worried at the amount of hairs that had fallen out. Now I'm worried if the remaining will shed or not. If they don't shed then they hinder the growth of new hairs and if they do shed then you're crossing your fingers for them to grow.

If you look at Shera's thread he didn't really shed his hairs and had probably one of the best growths ever.