Hairline 2700 Grafts - 22months Later -Hair Shedding

Hi,

I had a transplant almost two years ago, about 22 months actually.

Hair looked amazing, thick, just awesome.

On Nov 7th I started using a new shampoo (an argan oil based shampoo, however it also has Ketoconazole - same stuff in Nizoral) .. called Pura D'Or.

20 days later, after spiking my hair up for the longest time i noticed slight thinning. I realized the only thing i changed was my shampoo, went from head and shoulders to this Pura D'Or shampoo.

So i immediately stopped, and went back to head and shoulders. It is now March 5th. Past 3 months now - have been shedding. Transplanted hairs are falling everyday and now I have resorted to using dermmatch concealer.

I'm very concerned, is my body rejecting my transplanted hairs after almost two years?

My donor area is fine, I had FUE btw. My health is okay, other than maybe a little less sleep due to work.

What can i do? My doctor just gave me a typical "hairloss progresses so you should be on propecia etc..."

I AM on propecia, for over 8 years now and have never stopped.

Could this be shedding from the shampoo, if so why would it be shedding for past 3 months?

Edited by Irry88

your transplanted hair goes through the same hair cycles as the rest of your head.. they are probably just going through the shedding phase, some 2 years later,... On another note, I would stay away from head and shoulders.. just full of chemicals... Just stick with the sulfate and paraben free stuff.

Were you diffuse in the area that was transplanted into or bald? If you were diffuse that could just be the non transplant hairs falling out. That's what happens if you are a moderate (NW3+) or high norwood - you get more hair loss over time. Hence why they advise the medicines.

EDIT - Ok I see in your profile you are norwood 1, so most likely your hairline is receding to norwood 2 etc and you are losing some of your original hair.

Jan 2016 - 3800 graft FUT with Dr. Konior

NW 5A to 6.

Docs whose results I am most consistently impressed with: Konior, Cooley (FUT), Hasson (FUT), Diep (FUE) (yeah I like the zig zag).

Were you diffuse in the area that was transplanted into or bald? If you were diffuse that could just be the non transplant hairs falling out. That's what happens if you are a moderate (NW3+) or high norwood - you get more hair loss over time. Hence why they advise the medicines.

EDIT - Ok I see in your profile you are norwood 1, so most likely your hairline is receding to norwood 2 etc and you are losing some of your original hair.

Hi the area transplanted was slick bald. Hopefully it's just regular shedding

your transplanted hair goes through the same hair cycles as the rest of your head.. they are probably just going through the shedding phase, some 2 years later,... On another note, I would stay away from head and shoulders.. just full of chemicals... Just stick with the sulfate and paraben free stuff.

Thanks yes hopefully just a shed, will change to a natural shampoo for sure

Would love to hear what some of the hair loss experts might have to say.. gillinator?

hi , well i had in my earlier post informed that d few of my friends had a similar shedding post 14 months , and Yes they did go for FUE .

it seems strange but a lot of guys are witnessing a shedding of Transplanted hair from aprrox . over a year or so after surgery and almost all guys that do complain are the FUE guys .

Also noteworthy is that Dr. Feller had earlier commented on this issue raise by me , that indeed there is a possibility of the body rejecting the FUE grafts as the blood supply gets cut off , I don't know how exact this is !

But the point is that yes we are facing a new issue of Transplanted hair being Lost after a year or so .... the question really is ... DO THEY GROW BACK ?

My friends went from a dense growth to almost skin showing thin hair in just 14 months after FUE and none of the 2 guys have recovered the transplanted hair that they Lost .

we need more inputs on this , from fellow fue guys , pls post your experience esp. if you are 15 months to more , after FUE

hi , well i had in my earlier post informed that d few of my friends had a similar shedding post 14 months , and Yes they did go for FUE .

it seems strange but a lot of guys are witnessing a shedding of Transplanted hair from aprrox . over a year or so after surgery and almost all guys that do complain are the FUE guys .

Also noteworthy is that Dr. Feller had earlier commented on this issue raise by me , that indeed there is a possibility of the body rejecting the FUE grafts as the blood supply gets cut off , I don't know how exact this is !

But the point is that yes we are facing a new issue of Transplanted hair being Lost after a year or so .... the question really is ... DO THEY GROW BACK ?

My friends went from a dense growth to almost skin showing thin hair in just 14 months after FUE and none of the 2 guys have recovered the transplanted hair that they Lost .

we need more inputs on this , from fellow fue guys , pls post your experience esp. if you are 15 months to more , after FUE

Thanks, I have posted on that thread with Dr. Feller asking if using mixox can help this situation.

So frustrating, after so much money down the drain.. still bald.

I think FUE grafts are somehow fragile and damaged in some way so when the body senses that the skin had healed from the surgery and it cuts off the blood supply to normal levels , the original nerves that are punctured by massive FUE grafts never really have the strength to support the already fragile grafts of FUE , once the blood supply is Normalized ! its reality i guess so No denying the fact that so many FUE guys with amazing results are suddenly Loosing all that they gained after 2 years .... oh lord baldness is a Pain in the arse for sure !

mikeey, have your friends tried any treatments to rejuvunate those grafts to maybe bring the hair back?

It's probably your native hairs dying out....that's the crappy reality for us....the MPB doesn't go away just because we get HT's. It's also the main reason that most guys with HT's are never 100% satisfied with the density.

Not native hairs, I was slick bald in the areas that is losing. Non transplanted sections are in perfect condition.

Would love to hear what some of the hair loss experts might have to say.. gillinator?

Irry,

Got your PM and the link to this thread you put up. Ok, here's the deal.

First of all, have not heard of the phenomenon of guys losing their transplants after several years of having the "FUE" procedure. I have heard of some guys who do end up losing their transplants but some of them had FUHT and they lost them at different time intervals such as 5, 7, 10, years later, etc. But they are the exception and certainly not the rule of what most patients experience post-op.

If the grafts get damaged during the procedure, chances are they won't grow at all (transection). But if you do experience a good initial yield and regrowth, that in itself is a good sign.

Now what I have heard more of in a number of cases are guys who start using a medicated based shampoo or other topical products and as a result experience an acute shed cycle. This happened to me when I switched from minoxidil liquid to the foam version and it freaked me out because not only was the shed acute, it took me almost 2 years to recover.

I have also heard of Nioxin having counter-productive results inducing sheds as well though more the exception and not the rule.

I tend to favor nature based shampoos that do not contain chemicals especially the alcohol based ones.

Another observation. Guys who have the HT procedure tend to experience periods of generalized shed cycles. Not sure why this is other than the possibility that once the grafts grow and the regrowth cycle kicks in, the initial growth period is a shorter window period to start with. But it's the secondary growth cycle that lasts longer and as time passes, the shed cycles are less frequent.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY