3500-4000 grafts needed - how long between sessions?

marknash99

Hey guys

First post on here. Been suffering hair loss for about 15yrs. I'm lucky in that it's been slow and I've reached 42 without feeling like I need to act. Always knew I'd lose my hair, thought I'd accept it gracefully but as its got worse I've found its really started affecting my confidence. To be honest it's my bloody forehead :) Wrong shape for going bald, looks massive :D

Right, so I've just started doing my research, contacted plenty of clinics, both here in the uk and abroad. Gradually getting replies and building up my impression on how easy they are going to be to deal with. I'm leaning towards a certain clinic / Dr, but I'm keeping an open mind for a bit.

So my question is this. Based on photos I've sent to the clinics I'm being told I'll need between 3500-4000 grafts. FUE is my procedure of choice. Now from what I'm reading that should be carried out in two sessions. Now can this be two sessions back to back over two days? Or should there be a significant gap between procedures?

Thanks in advance for any advice, and sorry for what will no doubt be loads of questions on the forum. Promise to give back with photos and advise based on my experience.

Yes most doctors will do about 2K max in one FUE session and they would do 4K back to back. From what I read the 2nd day is a bit tougher as you are worn out from the first. If you decide to go local you may choose to put some time in between of course as well but I guess that depends if you want to have your hair buzzed twice in X amount of months or just for a few weeks.

Once positive with FUE is you can really do them at any time as long as you are fine with the hair shaving vs FUT where most advice a year of downtime to get the donor area healed up.

Jan 2016 - 3800 graft FUT with Dr. Konior

NW 5A to 6.

Docs whose results I am most consistently impressed with: Konior, Cooley (FUT), Hasson (FUT), Diep (FUE) (yeah I like the zig zag).

Hi Mark, I had 3305 grafts implanted in 1 day, it wasn't really too much of an ordeal.

I'm sure my doctor, Dr Bhatti could have stretched it to 4000 if that was the requirement.

Have a read about my experience in my link below, it may well address some of your concerns.

If you need any other advice or guidance or even a consultation with Dr Bhatti who will be visiting the UK in coming months, then please do not hesitate to contact me.

Hi Mark, most doctors cap the limit to 2,5 - 3k grafts in one session. If you require 4k, maybe the doctor will spilt it into days. I believe it is much safer to transplant less than 3k in one session. This will ensure graft survival and can lead to better yield. My doctor, Koray Erdogan caps his FUE session at 3k grafts (I belive). His clinic uses manual punch like other top FUE doctors. It does take more time with manual punch. My own surgery took 9 hours for 2400 grafts. I say, take your time and research wisely each doctor, the methods they use, their results (both clinic posted and patient posted).

Good luck

Hi, Marknash99. Each case is different. Each individual's goals and expectations are also different too. Usually, if you need crown work, the procedure can be done in two sessions. If you need mostly frontal work, you may want to do it in one session.

As a good decision, waiting at least 6 months would be good if you need to treat the crown or two separate regions of the scalp. If you desire to treat the same area, waiting 12 months would be good.

Some clinics do more in-depth mapping of graft locations and densities, so the timeline for subsequent surgery may differ.

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians