How many of you are experiencing loss behind your hair transplant?

I always knew the time would come when my native hair behind my hair transplant would become more diffused . Such a pity as I was rocking my new hairline to the max for a good 3 years! Now I'm back to using concealers for now .

My question is at what point do you commit to a second HT ? When the diffused loss is almost bare and a noticeable gap is showing ?I KNOW SHOCK LOSS is a risk so that why I ask this

In my mind I'm thinking 2 options .

1 wait for it to become so receded behind my HT and then just shave and move on

2 Go for another HT . My first session was 2000 grafts and fully restored my front .

Thank you for the advice guys I really appreciate it

image_6.jpeg

image_8.jpeg

image_7.jpeg

Yeah I've been on Fin and rogaine for over 5 years . I got amazing thickening results but it's slowly going back to baseline I guess .My HT + the meds has done wonders up to this point

Are you taking Fin or Dut? Fin has really thickened up my crown in the past 18 months. IMHO meds are a must for anybody that is concerned enough about their hair loss to go down the transplants route...

Yes at what point do you go for a second shot ? I pretty much know the meds won't turn it around as I've been on them for 5 + years (with incredible results the first 2 years)

Huge issue. Huge! Would hope to hear from some Drs & senior members from the group in regards to this...

If option 1 is even an option for you then that is always the best option imho. For those who can't simply let go of their hair and think option 1 isn't an option, then obviously option 2. It's really about what makes you feel comfortable with long term.

Yeah I definitely want to extend the life of my hair so I'm thinking a second pass would do the trick . I'm not sure how many grafts are required for mid scalp though

If option 1 is even an option for you then that is always the best option imho. For those who can't simply let go of their hair and think option 1 isn't an option, then obviously option 2. It's really about what makes you feel comfortable with long term.

Peapoddy I know you very well, your famous thread on another Hairloss forum was very inspiring! Because of your results from medications it inspired me to start the same! 3 years down the line I am still maintaining my hair, though my main concern was temples but it did thicken up my overall hair with slight growth around temples.

No doubt you had great results but sadly now you are loosing the gain.

There is a high chance of shock loss in the area where you are thinning.

I would advise you to have online consult from top doctors and seek their advice. Few thousands gafts may do the trick!

Thanks Rawkerboi , yeah I had wonderful results from fin and Minoxidil .I'm glad your hair is doing well !!!But yes I'm slowly losing the gain I held onto for many years , it was a good run though so I can't complain . Even when I had my HT the doctor told me my mid scalp was weak, and I would need more work in the future so I knew it was coming .

I know shock loss is a risk but those hairs are on the way out already , would be nice to replace them with stronger , healthier hair .

Peapoddy I know you very well, your famous thread on another Hairloss forum was very inspiring! Because of your results from medications it inspired me to start the same! 3 years down the line I am still maintaining my hair, though my main concern was temples but it did thicken up my overall hair with slight growth around temples.

No doubt you had great results but sadly now you are loosing the gain.

There is a high chance of shock loss in the area where you are thinning.

I would advise you to have online consult from top doctors and seek their advice. Few thousands gafts may do the trick!

• 1 month later...

I was thin on the crown at 21 years old. Now 45 years old & no deterioration in the past 24 years. My own experience is that if hair is present it can be looked after. I have had HTs for frontal recession & ironically the only loss I have had in 20+ years has been from shock loss.

Im a huge supporter of ionil t shampoo, fin & rogaine foam. About to try a capillus lasercap to hopefully improve a small gap from shock loss but thats approx 12 months now so not expecting I will be lucky enough to achieve it. Too scared to go for more surgery atm as I know first hand, on small jobs it can sometimes be worse.

• 1 month later...

It's really Peabody's mid-scalp that is slightly thinning.

Changing hairstyles by either brushing front to back or to the side can easily hide the thinning. You really can't notice it unless Peabody is extremely short in stature or if he bends over. Viewing him from the front, it would be very hard to notice or when his hair is completely wet.

Yes, there is always the risk of shock. But how much depends on how much trauma would be induced to the area and keeping the next session to a much smaller number of grafts is critical to keeping the related level of trauma as low as possible.

The challenge is that there is still a fair amount of native hair in the proposed recipient area where the thinning is occurring. The instruments used to create the recipient sites (blades) are a very important consideration and chances are, the area would need to be shaven to avoid transection to the existing hair.

If it were me, I would change hairstyles and hide the thinning or use concealers until there is enough loss to support adding more grafts to the thinning area. I would not do any more surgery for now, but that's me and Peabody may feel differently.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Yeah, I seem to be in the same boat as peabody. I had a HT 3 years ago (c. 2100 grafts) and the area right behind the hairline has weakened. I'm not on fin as I had sides but am using minox and nizoral. I also supplement with nettle root. The loss is not noticeable at all when I style my hair but its enough to annoy me!!

So, I'm due to have another HT with Dr. Bisanga next month. Ive been quoted c. 500-750 grafts so its a small op. I prefer the idea of maintaining a HT with smaller FUE sessions rather than waiting another few years and going for a bigger op. Plus smaller ops allow the recipient to be non-shaven which makes recovery so much easier (not to mention keeping it hidden from others!). I realise shock loss is a concern but I'm willing to take that risk (plus any hairs that are permanently lost are on their way out anyway).

Sounds like a viable plan and if you do not have to shave down the area first, that's a real plus...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

It's really Peabody's mid-scalp that is slightly thinning.

Changing hairstyles by either brushing front to back or to the side can easily hide the thinning. You really can't notice it unless Peabody is extremely short in stature or if he bends over. Viewing him from the front, it would be very hard to notice or when his hair is completely wet.

Yes, there is always the risk of shock. But how much depends on how much trauma would be induced to the area and keeping the next session to a much smaller number of grafts is critical to keeping the related level of trauma as low as possible.

The challenge is that there is still a fair amount of native hair in the proposed recipient area where the thinning is occurring. The instruments used to create the recipient sites (blades) are a very important consideration and chances are, the area would need to be shaven to avoid transection to the existing hair.

If it were me, I would change hairstyles and hide the thinning or use concealers until there is enough loss to support adding more grafts to the thinning area. I would not do any more surgery for now, but that's me and Peabody may feel differently.

This is pretty much bang on. changing hairstyles cud get u another year or two easily. Depends on ur level of hair greed ultimately. For me, to be confined to having a particular hairstyle is a big step up from having no hair at all. Best of luck mate.