FUE or STRIP for a big case?

FUE is cheaper in Europe. I was just poking around at some and I saw Bisanga has 5 euros for first 1k grafts and then 3 euros for each after. The dollar has risen quite a bit vs the euro the past year so it makes the surgery much cheaper there than say 2 years ago. Its basically 1 to 1.08 or so so a 6000 euro surgery is like 6500 dollars.

This is very different than even 2 years ago - in early 2014 the exchange rate was close to $1.40 USD to each euro meaning a 6000 euro surgery 2 years ago was costing an American $8400. Today it's $6500.

You would never pay $90K for "mostly FUT" - FUT is cheaper in the U.S. than FUE by a decent margin. I mean even going with the most expensive US/Canada guys with FUT for 10K you probably would be talking under $45K (I am assuming 2 or 3 FUT surgeries). And that's the most expensive ones.

Back to Bisanga, FUT was even a bit cheaper with 3 euro for first 2000 grafts than only 2 euro for each after. So you could do 4000 grafts in 1 sitting for about $10,500. Plus your travel costs. Again with the exchange rate nowadays 3 euros is like $3.15 a graft and 2 is like $2.10 a graft. In the U.S. you usually go with $5 a graft for the first X thousand grafts (usually 2 to 3 thousand grafts depending on clinic) and then it drops to $3 for additional grafts for the top top reviewed guys. Honestly the Bisanga rate is a substantial reduction vs H&W, Konior, Shapiro where you will pay probably $15Kish for similar (+/- $1000 for each doctor) FUT.

I am not recommending or not recommending him - just giving you an idea of the price difference. The US dollar rising the last year has made "out of country" prices cheaper to Americans.

If you are considering Rahal in Ottawa he is actually relatively cheap too as the dollar has risen vs the Canadian dollar as well but not as cheap as the 2 European ones I looked at. But people here like his FUE in general if you want to go that route.

But yes as everyone says for "maximum" yield out of your head you basically will do 2 FUT (some people can manage 3) to get you 8K+ grafts (some people more) and then FUE to finish it out. Most people (not all) would be able to get 10K grafts if this is your process - obviously NW7s and certain candidates would be exempt. If you go FUE ONLY most will say you wont get 10K without substantial risks and just gambling hairs are not going to be transplanted from areas where MPB won't eventually hit. And "mothball" look potential from donor area. Seems like many think 6-7K grafts is a good target for FUE ONLY to ballpark it but every person is different.

I was more saying that if i went the FUE only route, and took out all my grafts max depleted everything, and if I paid the 9.00 a graft like some of the US doctors quoted me I would be paying that high high range.....

Are there any FUE doctors who specialize in massive cases like this?

Are there guys who used to shave their heads, got FUT, and now really regret it because they lost too much hair? What a risky procedure!!!!!!!

• Administrators
I was more saying that if i went the FUE only route, and took out all my grafts max depleted everything, and if I paid the 9.00 a graft like some of the US doctors quoted me I would be paying that high high range.....

Are there any FUE doctors who specialize in massive cases like this?

Are there guys who used to shave their heads, got FUT, and now really regret it because they lost too much hair? What a risky procedure!!!!!!!

There was another thread in open hairloss topics about celebrity HT's there's this Dutch guy who got a transplant strip, he went Norwood 7 and now has a tuft of hair with a significant gap between his transplant and lateral humps.

Manderson I whole heartedly believe that you should worry about the future but don't let it dictate your life, tomorrow is never promised, we can question every move we make as a what if, but ultimately we have to just live and make decisions, I think as long as you know that there is a possibility you'll have to shave your head one day, then you can plan accordingly, even if you got FUT and went Norwood 7 you could technically FUE body hair in to the strip scar and shave down, will it look 100% natural no, but it's better than having an unnatural tuft of hair with a strange bald pattern.

Should I become Norwood 7, I now have a hairline to frame my face, I'd smp my FUE scars and shave my head rocking the zidane look. This was one of my reasons for choosing FUE of course you should do what best fits your goals as long as you choose a good doctor you can't go wrong with either one.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I think that you have to be very careful with using beard hair. It should only be used as a filler and very conservatively. Beard hair is also more inconsistent. It is therefore difficult to predict growth. The texture of beard hair is often different too. Mine has three colors, including black. My scalp hair is blonde! In my opinion, beard hair should only be used after you have used up all of your scalp hair.

Beard hair growing on top of one's head just doesn't look natural on most men, in my opinion.

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Some great replies in this thread.

I'm a big proponent -- as are many others -- of optimizing with FUT first (if you're a good candidate for the procedure). I would normally give reasons, but many others did an excellent job explaining earlier.

Best of luck with your upcoming surgery.

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

OK, phew, lots of good information here.

I think the take away here is....FUT, because I will need a lot of grafts, dont even think about FUE until Im tapped out.

So....how horrible will the 6 months be of no growth and everything? I'm mostly worried about the recovery from FUT? Will I look like krusty the klown?

• Administrators

Not gonna lie, it's gonna look bad, hopefully you can wear hats at work. If you can't then you'll just have to bite the bullet and deal with looking bad for a few months before you look better, that's how this hair restoration thing goes sometimes.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

• Administrators
And for FUE.... It will just be fine.... ??

Should I be coming up with an excuse to my work on why I need a hat on for 4 months?

For my first FUE I shaved my head for the first 5 months to a zero guard, the scars were there but no one ever paid attention or noticed them, they really only become visible if your staring directly at your donor area from a foot away.

Personally, man I would, having a thin diffused head with thick sides only highlights your baldness, it will age you tremendously, I would talk to my boss and be straight up and say look I'm getting this surgery and id like to wear a professional hat for 5 months. One you have hair on top like for your second procedure it won't be as bad.

View my thread

Htsoon I mean that sounds pretty damn ideal!!!

Shit I WANT FUE and I shave my head so it would be ideal, like very easy to pull off, but I know I need a lot of grafts :-(.

But then again, I may get 9000 fues and using some beard I might get 10,000? That should be enough for me right....

Sigh.

• Administrators
Htsoon I mean that sounds pretty damn ideal!!!

Shit I WANT FUE and I shave my head so it would be ideal, like very easy to pull off, but I know I need a lot of grafts :-(.

But then again, I may get 9000 fues and using some beard I might get 10,000? That should be enough for me right....

Sigh.

Currently you don't need that many grafts, the problem is thinking ahead to the future if your hairloss progresses, your pattern is norwood 5A currently it could become six, which would mean your crown expands and the lateral humps near the crown drop.

However, currently, 4,000 grafts would completely rebuild your hairline and midscalp leaving the crown as is, I wouldn't recommend touching the crown anyways, its still small and it could expand tremendously in the years to come, it also looks like your head is quite small, I have a small head which has helped in terms of getting more coverage with less grafts. I think my hairloss was worse than yours and 4,000 grafts has really transformed my look, of course my crown is still bald, but it doesn't bother me as much for high norwoods FUE take a look at Dr. Lorenzo in Spain he does FUE, however he is VERY adamant about taking Finasteride, he is under the belief that without fin your destined for norwood 7. Good luck with whatever you decide, like I said before as long as you choose a good doctor you'll get a good result with either procedure.

View my thread

HTsoon,

Do you think that if i sapped ALL of my grafts by going to erdogan (for example, or whoever you think is best) would I see the same end result as if I just went to H + W, for lets say, 3 procedures?

Assuming that you and I go to FULL norwood 6's, (forget the 7, if that happens I'm not planning for it as if it doesnt seem likely now, I'm not gonna live thinking its a possibility. Plus when you and I turn, there will be SOMETHING available to at the very least HELP) do you think that the END RESULT from those two doctors, obviously one being FUE and the other FUT, are comprable?

Have you seen FUE Norwood VI cases that look awesome? From which doc?

It seems like you are so undecided I think you need to go to a few of the top docs on this forum and get a few opinions you seem to be very excited but slow down and learn from the doctors what they think is the best plan for you don't rush into this do your research .Good Luck with your choice.

Hairjo -

I actually have. I wear my hair short and feel comfortable with FUE - so they start out by talking about fue, but then after listening to me and feeling laxity they start saying how much more then can get with FUT, and how the results would probably be better.

In the end, they leave it up to me. The best ones, at least.

Plus, some of the top ones that I want to go to are all out of country.....and photo consults really arent that reassuring.

• Administrators
HTsoon,

Do you think that if i sapped ALL of my grafts by going to erdogan (for example, or whoever you think is best) would I see the same end result as if I just went to H + W, for lets say, 3 procedures?

Assuming that you and I go to FULL norwood 6's, (forget the 7, if that happens I'm not planning for it as if it doesnt seem likely now, I'm not gonna live thinking its a possibility. Plus when you and I turn, there will be SOMETHING available to at the very least HELP) do you think that the END RESULT from those two doctors, obviously one being FUE and the other FUT, are comprable?

I whole heartedly believe that the results would be comparable, would FUT provide slightly higher yield, I think it would, do I think it would make a significant visual impact I don't think so, I was basically Norwood 6, I mean I had some whispy miniaturized hair but it was on its way out, below is a picture showing how bald I was and where I'm at now 4,000 grafts all FUE. I'm not saying I have the best and I believe your results would be better cause you have more hair, but it's just to show that FUE is possible even on high Norwoods you just have to split the procedures up.

O7lgcui.jpg

View my thread

Wouldn't you want the most hair you can get for the money . I still think HT strip is the way to go you can still wear your hair pretty short . In the end it's up to you good luck what ever procedure you choose I just feel there is less damage to the grafts with a strip.

• Administrators
HTsoon,

My posts keep getting flagged, anyways I think the results are comparable, I'm a Norwood 6 got only FUE, at 4,000 grafts I really doubt I would've had any better results if I chose FUSS, my results aren't even the best either. You'd probably have a better result cause you have more hair.

This guys hairloss looks just like yours check it out

Edited by Melvin-HTsoon

View my thread