Need to find good Dr, closest to Memphis

Hey guys I'll be short and sweet. From the little bit I've seen I know to stay away from Bosley. Although I did go today for a free consult to hear what they had to say. I live in Memphis and their closest Dr is in Atlanta, his name if Dr. Richard Lorenz. I'm unsure if he's any good, if anyone has had good experience with him then please let me know.

But if I want to steer clear of bosley then where's the closest Dr and what's their name? I'm fine with traveling, just don't want to go cross country. If I'm going to do this then I want to do it right.

Thanks for any help.

Oh and if it matters, my crown is balding/thinning out, and working alittle towards the front. The hairlines still good tho. I'm not completely bald on the crown or anywhere for that matter. The bosley rep told be 1000-1400 max grafts.

Generally in the crown, 1000 grafts in the crown won't make a lot of impact, so you either have very minor loss, or you were under quoted.

I think everyone should do a couple of months researching doctors before you decide.

I lived in west TN and I bit the bullet and drove up to Chicago to Konior because thats who I wanted to do my surgery.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Unbelievable that we still find patients going to Bosley...

Take your time, research and do not go cheap on your surgery, not only on price but driving or traveling to another state or even country. You can regret your decision forever like me and then you will spend way more money and time repairing the mistake.

Konior is a good option as Spanker said but make sure they clarify the number of grafts you need for a full restoration of your balding area and very important on how many surgeries. If you want to travel then look around Turkey or India. The prices are very reasonable compared with USA and you can get high density results while visiting a new country at the same time.

Good luck,

Minoxidil 5% twice a day

Propecia 0.5mg every other day

Ketoconazole Shampoo twice a week

Biotin, MSM, Multivitamins supplements.

1st Surgery October 2013: 1973 Grafts. ARTAS Robot. HORRIBLE DENSITY, DAMAGED DONOR AREA.

2nd Surgery Sept 2014: 1926 Grafts. Manual FUE. Little better results but still poor density (specially in the crown) compared with other top doctors.

3rd Surgery Nov 2015: 2880 Grafts. Dr. Lorenzo in Madrid, Spain. Amazing results!

I'm fine with traveling, just don't want to go cross country. If I'm going to do this then I want to do it right.

Mate, the two sentences above contradict each other. If you want to do it right, then you should absolutely be prepared to travel across the country or even across the world. It's a huge mistake to let travel drive your decision. Rather pick the best surgeon for you without any regard to location, and then if you have to travel across the globe, then you suck it it up and travel. If you are looking to have crown work done, then the best surgeon for that is Dr Wong in Vancuaver, but if you are going to write him off because he is too far across country then I can't help you. I would rather cut off my balls before I go to Bosley for a procedure. Good luck!

On the upper right of this page is "Find a great surgeon in your area" box so you can scroll down through different states. If you want someone closest to you probably Cooley in NC is a guy who has a decent amount of reviews here. I see some names of guys from OH and GA (states close to you) but I don't see many reviews of them by patients here. I had a guy from my own state who is among those listed surgeons as recommended but he had very few patient reviews so I went the route of looking for someone within a decent distance but more thoroughly reviewed.

I'd look through that list at states nearest to you. Find a group of doctors. Read up on reviews of them here, then do online consults and see what you think from there.

I'd also say if you are going to drive to your surgery it is one thing but if you are going to get on a plane I dont see much difference between a 90 minute flight and a 2.5 hour flight so you might as well expand your search if you are going to get on a plane even if its not 5 hrs cross country.

The crown sounds like a tricky place because a lot of grafts seem to "get lost" there as opposed to other parts of the scalp so you might get quite a different estimate from each doctor as opposed to someone who is just focusing say on a hairline.

Jan 2016 - 3800 graft FUT with Dr. Konior

NW 5A to 6.

Docs whose results I am most consistently impressed with: Konior, Cooley (FUT), Hasson (FUT), Diep (FUE) (yeah I like the zig zag).

Sound advice all around.

1) Avoid Bosley. Glad you dodged that bullet.

2) Take advantage of the Recommended Surgeon Locator tool on this site and let that be your starting point as you research.

3) Don't cheat yourself by writing off really great surgeons simply because the travel time may be slightly increased. I understand not wanting to leave the country, but you're located relatively central to the entire US - which means you should consider branching out to either coast or even to Canada. You'll have a lot more options that way, and you want to make sure you choose the surgeon that is the best fit for you. In the grand scheme of things, traveling a little further for such a big investment shouldn't be an issue.

4) Stay active on this board and ask questions... And happy searching. :)

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56