VIDEO- Scar Search-Episode 3- Feller/Bloxham-Great Neck, NY

Time for another episode of Scar Search, the video series that shows what your average FUT scar should look like when properly performed under normal circumstances; and often times when not performed under normal circumstance.

Take this patient who has a low density donor area. Lots of space between hair. He's ten months out from his procedure. His donor incision closed beautifully and it completely obscured by his hair.

1.jpg.929959d6999a4b9bd29f97cbf8b09b24.jpg

2.jpg.01875c4de6b732192a9114d25cec930d.jpg

3.jpg.3c3d41628b194fc2b164fce7bc937c82.jpg

4.jpg.13b9adf85af2a0529cafaca5e01c0da0.jpg

5.jpg.5cd950c3905b2314a5b3267300fbe4bf.jpg

Edited by Dr. Alan Feller
Add still photos

• 2 weeks later...
I watched the video and the scar, or the indentation as you called it, is obvious. Maybe low density donor areas are bad for strip. If he's happy, that's all the matters, but no amount of verbal coaching during the video saying how good it looks will change the fact that it's a strip scar that is glaringly obvious when you lift the hair. In fact, I bet it's visible when the wind blows his hair around because it isn't very short.

Low density donor areas usually don't make for very good FUE candidates because each and every hair becomes that much more precious and cannot tolerate the consistently lower yields produced by FUE procedures.

FUT procedures are ideally suited to patients like this because the grafts will have the highest yields possible known to medicine and surgery.

The fact that someone would have to lift up the hair to see it speaks volumes as to how tiny the scar is, even more so since he has a lower density donor area to begin with.

Using FUE instead of FUT is a trade off. No amount of online hype is going to change that. If you don't want a linear scar, and that's fine, you either have to accept that doing the procedure as an FUE is going to compromise growth yields and needlessly damage healthy donor area. OR, you can go mFUE route and achieve strip yields, but also have more donor damage than you would with FUT.

To my mind, the most rational choice is FUT. In fact that's what I chose for my procedures, my family members procedures, and friends.

Here is a video of a patient I repaired using 3000 grafts. There is no way this many grafts could be taken on this patient using FUE without damaging the entire donor area, thus decreasing the hair available in the future should he need it.

beside this being a very detectable scar, why does the patient appear to have not had a transplant,

June 2013 - 3000 FUE Dr Bhatti

Oct 2013 - 1000 FUE Dr Bhatti

Oct 2015 - 785 FUE Dr Bhatti

Dr. Bhatti's Recommendation Profile on the Hair Transplant Network

My story and photos can be seen here

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/Sethticles/

• Administrators
Low density donor areas usually don't make for very good FUE candidates because each and every hair becomes that much more precious and cannot tolerate the consistently lower yields produced by FUE procedures.

FUT procedures are ideally suited to patients like this because the grafts will have the highest yields possible known to medicine and surgery.

The fact that someone would have to lift up the hair to see it speaks volumes as to how tiny the scar is, even more so since he has a lower density donor area to begin with.

Using FUE instead of FUT is a trade off. No amount of online hype is going to change that. If you don't want a linear scar, and that's fine, you either have to accept that doing the procedure as an FUE is going to compromise growth yields and needlessly damage healthy donor area. OR, you can go mFUE route and achieve strip yields, but also have more donor damage than you would with FUT.

To my mind, the most rational choice is FUT. In fact that's what I chose for my procedures, my family members procedures, and friends.

Here is a video of a patient I repaired using 3000 grafts. There is no way this many grafts could be taken on this patient using FUE without damaging the entire donor area, thus decreasing the hair available in the future should he need it.

I can see the indentation of hair where the strip scar is, this is obvious to anyone who knows what to look for, will most people notice absolutely not, but the same could be said about A shaved donor area with FUE scars.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Hey everybody,

I think someone asked about where he had the transplant or the results themselves. We actually made a second video of this same patient because we did not include the results the first time.

The following video shows the results of his first FUT procedure.

As you can probably tell by the footage of his donor, the patient has a very fine hair/follicle. This is often a "double edged sword." While it's difficult to get good, thick coverage with these types of hairs, it often creates a very fine, soft, almost "feathered" appearance that usually looks very natural.

He was in for work in his mid-scalp/crown on the day we did the "scar search" video.

I think the comments about all hair transplant scars (FUE and FUT) being difficult to detect when properly performed and good physiology is involved rings true as well.

Hope you all find the videos interesting!

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

that's the crease(can't remember what you called it) I'm seeing in that photo that dr Bloxham points out in the video. but in the video the scar is more obvious.

I must disagree. Here is the raw cut of all the uncombed hair sequences. I think you would need x-ray vision to see any scar under that hair. Which is the point. Hair transplant scars are completely obscured by donor hair. That's what makes it such a great procedure and almost always pointless to have an FUE procedure.

hmm I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you there. I can still see the indentation where the hair lays over the scar and the scar on the sides looked wider then the back when you lifted up the hair on the first video. but as you said in your video a casual on looker wouldn't be able to notice but us hair geeks do. another flip side to it is all one has to do is get his hair wet and it will be more obvious due to low density. so no swimming for this guy.

as for your FUE comment this isn't FUE its FUT so let's not go down that road.I'm simply saying what I see take it or leave it.

hmm I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you there. I can still see the indentation where the hair lays over the scar and the scar on the sides looked wider then the back when you lifted up the hair on the first video. but as you said in your video a casual on looker wouldn't be able to notice but us hair geeks do. another flip side to it is all one has to do is get his hair wet and it will be more obvious due to low density. so no swimming for this guy.

as for your FUE comment this isn't FUE its FUT so let's not go down that road.I'm simply saying what I see take it or leave it.

Ha. Fair enough. Thanks for the considered comments. Hair Geeks. I like that.

Dr. Feller

I'm yet to understand how this is a good result, the guy looks pretty bald to me with a noticeable scar, everyone can see the scar and everyone can clearly see his crown. plus he looks like he had a very low density donor area, overall pretty poor case for HT, very good chance this will become more noticeable within a year or so. if this is the standard what they call GOLD Standard for FUT scarring I am so so so relieved I went with FUE,

June 2013 - 3000 FUE Dr Bhatti

Oct 2013 - 1000 FUE Dr Bhatti

Oct 2015 - 785 FUE Dr Bhatti

Dr. Bhatti's Recommendation Profile on the Hair Transplant Network

My story and photos can be seen here

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/Sethticles/

Hey everybody,

I think someone asked about where he had the transplant or the results themselves. We actually made a second video of this same patient because we did not include the results the first time.

The following video shows the results of his first FUT procedure.

As you can probably tell by the footage of his donor, the patient has a very fine hair/follicle. This is often a "double edged sword." While it's difficult to get good, thick coverage with these types of hairs, it often creates a very fine, soft, almost "feathered" appearance that usually looks very natural.

He was in for work in his mid-scalp/crown on the day we did the "scar search" video.

I think the comments about all hair transplant scars (FUE and FUT) being difficult to detect when properly performed and good physiology is involved rings true as well.

Hope you all find the videos interesting!

thanks for the video :)

1. How many months after op is this? Is the scar still to get whiter?

2. How many grafts was the op?

3. Does he has more donor to use?

Thanks once again.