How long do new hairs sprout after HT

I know that new hair growth usually starts at 3-6 months, and that it can take 12-18 months to see the full effect of HT, but at what point do "new" hairs stop sprouting? 8 months? 10 months? Do some grafts not sprout until 1 year?

Hey,

I start seeing some very early growth after 7weeks..

And i can see new growth up to the 4 month 1 week mark where i am now.

I think month 5-7 will bring me to my expactions..

So id say for most guys 7 months!

But its important to note most of that hair will be either stubble or very short hair, so you wont get any cosmetic benefits till the hairs have grown longer around the 10-month mark

I think 6-7 month you can really see a big big difference and of course no endresult, but the possibility is there to be happy at that point and the "rest journey" flies by!

And of course, after 4 months my new growth is VERY short amd i think more growth to come so i cant expect a great density at that point.

But if all those baby hairs grow to 2-3 inch... They'll start to make a big difference in the coverage and density!

And hey, those baby hairs make the skin look not that shiny.

Ist not a big cosmetic improvement, but im already in the fun stage now and the longest month are over.

Just my thaughts on this topic.

So i say: 7 month and you should not expect a great amount of NEW growth.

There are slow growers of course.

But for tje majority the growth starts between 3-4 months .

I would imagine, and this is pure speculation, that if you don't see the root hair at least peaking under a magnifying mirror by the 6 month mark, growth will not be achieved in that specific area. That said, I've seen some incredible growth and thickening happening as late as the 10-12 mo mark on some people. So many anomalies.

Lol - I was just re-reading an old Zeiring phamplet from 2 years ago when I consulted with that clinic in NY. They offer a procedure called a revolutionary "sneak peak" transplantation where the HT surgeon will transplant fully grown (non cut) hair into the recepient site so that patients can see what there hair will look like at the end. LMAO. I'll take a picture of that page and try post it here. The sad part is that I'm sure a lot of patients fall for this nonsense.

Spex, just watched your video. Very nice.

So, two questions-

1) You say "growth" but I was asking about new hairs sprouting-somewhat different things. In your opinion, do new hairs sprout even as late as 9-12 months?

2) If you say hold of on any planning for a 2nd HT until you see the full result, do you mean wait a full 12 or a full 18 months before considering a 2nd HT?

Thanks!

LJ

Some good advice by Spex. I would say that new hairs can still sprout at the 9 month mark however the majority of patients has seen new hairs sprout by then. These hairs may be still very short and need to mature so the full result will not be seen at 9 months. In my experience the crown takes longer to see growth than the front and mid scalp.

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

I agree with what Spex said. Garageland also made a great point that in my experience the crown takes longer to even start growing in. Everyone is different. I hope that helps.

Waiting at least twelve months or longer between procedures is important not only for the regrowth but also waiting for full maturation of hair caliber. For many individuals, this does not occur until after the 9th month and can even take up to 15 months or so post-op.

In achieving the illusion of coverage, great consideration is given to the degree of coarseness (caliber) and some docs view this as the single most critical factor considered in achieving the illusion of coverage, even above density.

Many of us tend to be focused on density and/or how much of the regrowth has manifested however in the end result, it's both the regrowth as well as matured hair caliber that produces the ultimate or optimal illusion of coverage.

I remember my third procedure (2400 grafts) when I could still see a little bit of scalp until I reached the 14th month or so post-op. It was almost like magic that the visual coverage seemed so much better. My surgeon informed me that because I have an above average degree of caliber, that it simply took this long for it to fully mature and that's what made the end result.

For many of us, it's having the patience post-op that can be the most challenging aspect of HT surgery...but in the end, it's worth it!...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Waiting at least twelve months or longer between procedures is important not only for the regrowth but also waiting for full maturation of hair caliber. For many individuals, this does not occur until after the 9th month and can even take up to 15 months or so post-op.

In achieving the illusion of coverage, great consideration is given to the degree of coarseness (caliber) and some docs view this as the single most critical factor considered in achieving the illusion of coverage, even above density

And the way to achieve illusion is by spacing the transplanted hairs further away from each other then they were before, am I right??

Question:

Post-op, native hair continues to grow at what we'd probably define as our "normal" hair cycle, where as the newly transplanted hair seems to have a mind of its own once it arrives--one week the front will grow fast and seemingly out of nowhere the side will jump head. etc etc

Does this normalize, or will there always been a different pace of native vs the transplanted hair growth, even when its all eventually grown out and cut at the same length?

Question:

Post-op, native hair continues to grow at what we'd probably define as our "normal" hair cycle, where as the newly transplanted hair seems to have a mind of its own once it arrives--one week the front will grow fast and seemingly out of nowhere the side will jump head. etc etc

Does this normalize, or will there always been a different pace of native vs the transplanted hair growth, even when its all eventually grown out and cut at the same length?

From my own observation, hair follicles behave intermittently with their cycles. And in my own experience, my native hair as well as my transplanted hair all cycle well together. I have never noticed one specific area appear thinner because of the disparity of the growth cycles. It's all very even...;)

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

From my own observation, hair follicles behave intermittently with their cycles. And in my own experience, my native hair as well as my transplanted hair all cycle well together. I have never noticed one specific area appear thinner because of the disparity of the growth cycles. It's all very even...;)

Follicular collaboration? I like it.

Dutchie,

I would not necessarily say that the illusion of coverage is attained by spacing the hair further apart than what it used to be. It depends on how far apart and how acute the angles of the recipient sites are made, and obviously the size of the grafts used and where they are placed.

There are many considerations made when approaching each case. We all have different hair characteristics as well as varying degrees of hair loss. We also need to be vigilant in comprising our goals while working within our own limitations.

IMHO, the primary basis of achieving success in HT surgery is because most of us, if not all of us, do not need to have native levels of density to "looked restored". The premise is that if we can surgically achieve 50% of our individual native density, we will "look restored". Obviously there are going to be some exceptions.

Reputable honest doctors will inform you that's it's not possible to replicate virgin levels of density and at the same time will tell you that it is not necessary.

I remember roughly 10 years ago many guys were talking about getting mega density sessions because there were several docs offering this. IMHO, it's just not necessary to look restored and to look great.

Besides all this, we can tend to forget that MPB is progressive and an extremely high percent of us will need more than one or two procedures in our lifetimes as we continue to lose more native hair.

So the wise or prudent thing to do is to manage our donor reserves for the future so we don't run out of scalp donor for additional procedures down the road...;)

Gillenator

Follicular collaboration? I like it.

And I sincerely believe that just about every individual that had the procedure done will tell you the same thing. Everything evens out and mixes well...:)

Gillenator

Lots of sites show people having subsequent procedures at the one year mark. Gillenator, do you think this is too soon?

It depends of the individuals rate of regrowth and individual hair characteristics. For many, 12 months is fine however the higher degree of hair caliber would justify waiting an additional 3 months IMHO. You just never know how much of a visual difference there would be at the 15th month mark. There sure was for me.

Here's the other thing. Some guys are in the advanced classes of MPB meaning, class 5 or higher. Their goal may be to get as much coverage over a broader/larger bald surface area rather then achieving higher density levels in a smaller zone. So going in for a 2nd or 3rd procedure at twelve month intervals is fine if they are trying to make the overall visual transition of having hair sooner than later.

Gillenator