Best post op redness treatments

Hey Guys,

I'm at day 10 and my scabs are gone and things are looking good.

I'd like this redness to go away and I've heard that distilled witch hazel can help.

Does anyone have any experience with this or other products? Aloe vera gel or juice?

Dan

Had 3k With Umar on Feb 16, 2009

My Hair Loss Website

Hey Guys,

I'd like this redness to go away and I've heard that distilled witch hazel can help.

Does anyone have any experience with this or other products? Aloe vera gel or juice?

Dan

My Hair Loss Website

Congratulations, I used distilled witch hazel for around 2 month, the redness did fade some what, if it was down to the witch hazel or not I don't know.

I'd try it, it can't harm just don't expect too much.

Ask your doctor if its too soon to use products, mine advised me not to use Aloe Vera on the receipt for 1 month.

For the first month I used pure vitamin e oil on the recipient per docs instructions.

Following that, I used Aubrey Organics Pure Aloe and lily of the desert 80-Organics Soothing Aloe Gel. It helped soothe the area, but my pinkness stayed around for a while due to a number of other factors. I feel these products assisted in the healing and slowly helped with reducing the color.

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

Thanks Eman and Maxxy.

I feel like the witch hazel can't hurt so I'm going to give it a try.

I've heard mixed things about vitamin e oil. What is the consensus these days on using it on the recip area? I know it helps with reducing scars.

Anybody else have suggestions, I'm open.

Thanks !!!!!

My Hair Loss Website

For the first month I used pure vitamin e oil on the recipient per docs instructions.

Following that, I used Aubrey Organics Pure Aloe and lily of the desert 80-Organics Soothing Aloe Gel

Wow Eman, you're a real naturopath! icon_smile.gif

take care...

Redness "generally" worsens in all scars for 6 weeks or so then begins to fade. Trends that I have noticed over the past 13 years are:

1. The older the patient the better the scar and the faster the fading(less collagen pull on the scar).

2. Redish complected people take longer for redness to fade.

3. All scars tend to get lumpy for 6 weeks and one minute of massage on the scar before meals helps. Doing too much may slow things down, and doing nothing at all also slows this down.

4. Fancy lotions and potions have no role in nice technical closures in patients without a history of abnormal scarring.

5. Early intervention into any scar problem OFTEN can prevent a bigger problem. Hence, I like patients to come in at 4-6 weeks for a scar check; and almost noone(hair patients) ever comes for that free visit unless they specifically came for a scar repair.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

dr. Cooley said not to put anything on the recipient or donor. I don't think anything can help with the redness, just time.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

• 6 years later...
Redness "generally" worsens in all scars for 6 weeks or so then begins to fade. Trends that I have noticed over the past 13 years are:

1. The older the patient the better the scar and the faster the fading(less collagen pull on the scar).

2. Redish complected people take longer for redness to fade.

3. All scars tend to get lumpy for 6 weeks and one minute of massage on the scar before meals helps. Doing too much may slow things down, and doing nothing at all also slows this down.

4. Fancy lotions and potions have no role in nice technical closures in patients without a history of abnormal scarring.

5. Early intervention into any scar problem OFTEN can prevent a bigger problem. Hence, I like patients to come in at 4-6 weeks for a scar check; and almost noone(hair patients) ever comes for that free visit unless they specifically came for a scar repair.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

Dr. Lindsey,

Is this referring to the recipient area? I've been having issues with lingering redness,scaring in the recipient area. The skin is very rough still and I can see the individual small scars from where the implanted follicles were. I'm 2 months out and he redness is still visible. Is it possible to send you a picture and have you comment?

Thanks in advance.

bhallic24....you must have searched long and hard to find this thread....looks like I put it up in 2008 when I was a young man.

This is dealing with the donor area. In April I got another 15 sutures in my eyebrown and did a little you tube video discussing scar care. Feel free to check it out. Go to youtube and search Dr. Lindsey Hair Transplant and its maybe 10 or 12 down from the top.

As to your situation:

1. First, simply check with your doctor. You may be completely normal or you may be having a problem...ask the guy who worked on you.

2. Its RARE to have any scarring visible in the recipient area with the tiny blades the doctors here use. Its a common preop question but I see 90% of our cases at a month and without strong magnifyers, no scarring is ever seen.

3. Redness is common and worse the younger and redder your skin is. In general it peaks at 6 to 8 weeks.

Take a look at the video and check with your doctor.

IF you send me pics, tell me about yourself, who did your case, how many grafts etc.

Thanks

Dr. Lindsey

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

The lasting redness was definitely the worst (or only bad) and most inconvenient aspect about the surgery. I would have easily thrown in another 1000 bucks if I would have been allowed to keep the length of my native hair to cover up the recipient site. After the longest 3 months of my life my native hair was finally long enough to cover up that red Batman logo on my forehead... It was such a relief when my native fringe was long enough again.

The lasting redness was definitely the worst (or only bad) and most inconvenient aspect about the surgery. I would have easily thrown in another 1000 bucks if I would have been allowed to keep the length of my native hair to cover up the recipient site. After the longest 3 months of my life my native hair was finally long enough to cover up that red Batman logo on my forehead... It was such a relief when my native fringe was long enough again.

This is my situation described here. I'm one month post-op and I have that red Batman logo on my forehead too. In 2 days I'll be exposed to friends in school and work without and option of a hat. The redness is indeed the worst thing about a HT..

I might say that I got a sunburn, but who will believe that after another month?

Well you can get a doc's certificate that would allow you to wear a hat.

Here's what I did and I wish I would have thought of it much sooner:

I bought a wide flesh toned dressing used for sport injuries. I made a very loose fitting head band out of it and stuck double sided tape (for band aids) to my fore head. The head band was not even touching the grafts but it was sitting high enough to hide that red mess. It was much more comfortable than wearing a cap or wearing make up.

Whenever someone asked I claimed it was a sports injury. End of story.

Hey Guys,

Dan

Hi Abedogg,

This is Nick here, I work with Dr De Reys. We always give patients a series of high-strength Aloe Vera creams, tonics and salves to use after the operation.

Used in the right order, this deals with redness.

@Zeoranger

For the hat question, I've done a post on that on this forum. You can find it here:

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/178332-hats-concealers-post-op-questions-dr-de-reys-3000-grafts-2300-grafts-fue.html

Nick

Dr. De Reys is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Dr De Reys - Hair Transplant Surgeon in Belgium.

Hi

Has anyone tried using make-up to hide the redness? I know it's a bit drastic, but I have my HT booked in Oct and i'm worried about the redness. It must be so obvious you've had a HT if it's just the temples etc that are red.

You could get some skin coloured make up and brush it over the redness?

Thoughts?

CJ

From my own observations, a good quality Aloe Vera cream/gel works the best up to 3-4 months post-op. I have heard of witch hazel having some level of effectiveness but not as much as Aloe.

If the redness persists, contact your doctor for some advice on applying a steroidal cream. There are some over-the-counter creams yet they are generally at lower concentrates as 2% or lower.

You don't want to use steroidal based creams too early as they can potentially make the scar worse.

In many cases, time alone to heal will do the trick...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I did not have much luck with aloe vera... I put it on and it dried up within an hour then i had to wash off the dried up residue... Was I just using the wrong brand?

I have a similar experience. The aloe vera dries up so soon and just leaves this green pasty goo on my head. I've also tried witch hazel like many are suggesting and it initially actually turns the recipient area much redder than better. After a couple minutes it resolves but I don't notice any big difference.

I'm 2 months out and recipient still red and skin looks rough. Hoping this doesn't last long term.

• 1 month later...
bhallic24....you must have searched long and hard to find this thread....looks like I put it up in 2008 when I was a young man.

This is dealing with the donor area. In April I got another 15 sutures in my eyebrown and did a little you tube video discussing scar care. Feel free to check it out. Go to youtube and search Dr. Lindsey Hair Transplant and its maybe 10 or 12 down from the top.

As to your situation:

1. First, simply check with your doctor. You may be completely normal or you may be having a problem...ask the guy who worked on you.

2. Its RARE to have any scarring visible in the recipient area with the tiny blades the doctors here use. Its a common preop question but I see 90% of our cases at a month and without strong magnifyers, no scarring is ever seen.

3. Redness is common and worse the younger and redder your skin is. In general it peaks at 6 to 8 weeks.

Take a look at the video and check with your doctor.

IF you send me pics, tell me about yourself, who did your case, how many grafts etc.

Thanks

Dr. Lindsey

Hi Dr. Lindsey,

So I waited and gave it some time but no improvement in the recipient area. I actually contacted my doctor and have been in contact with him. He has not been able to explain my postop redness and discoloration in the recipient area. He basically advised aloe vera gel and then perhaps seeing a dermatologist if it continues. Can you message me an email or way to send you attached picture/detail so you can take a look? I can also come in person for a consultation whatever works best. .Thanks in advance.

Hey Guys,

Dan

Received say 800 in front hairline. It was reddish for 3 weeks. I am fair to medium complexation. This was only time it stayed red and only time in front hairline area. You should be ok.