What medications did you use after fue or fut?

What treatmeants were you on?  

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I started to use Rogaine foam approximately 2-3 weeks after my surgery. In addition, I added the following supplements - Saw Palmetto, Vitamin E, Glucosamine Chondroitin MSM combo, and a hair stregthening supplemental containing Biotin, folic acid, zinc, etc. I continue this regiment today.

Thats a nice list home1212. I am also using some of the same, plus nizoral and head and shoulders.

I plan on using rogaine foam only after and I am between a nw 2-3. Does anyone know if it will be ok to use minox for a couple of months just to spur growth more quickly then get off it a year, or should I just let growth happen naturally

In my opinion finasteride is the only thing that works. Rogaine will get some thickening but if you stop it you will lose all of the growth. Hair drugs are for life

and when you stop you will lose any of the gains and never get them back.

Been taking low dose finasteride since 1996 with good results. I used minoxidil post-op on my last procedure however it did not seem to make any difference in the regrowth. The minoxidil actually caused some shedding in my frontal zone and regretted using it post-op.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• 1 month later...

At Darling Buds India, Dr. Bhatti asks our Patients to take/use Finasteride (Propecia), Biotin and Minoxidil (Rogaine) post-op.

Recommendation is to start Finasteride and Biotin 3 days post-op.

2% Minoxidil is to be started 14 days post-op and switching over to 5% Minoxidil 6 weeks post-op.

Best regards,

California

DarlingBuds FUE's profile photo 

North America Representative and Patient Advisor for:
Dr. Tejinder Bhatti, Darling Buds Hair Transplant Center, Chandigarh, India.

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

stopping minoxidil has absolutely no efffect on the transplanted hair ... its only on any "new" or miniaturized native hair that may have grown as a result of minox that could potentially die off if you discontinued...

Edited by home1212

Would minoxidil not result in loss of hair once it is stopped, per your recommendation?? Or one needs to take it for lifetime ? Then why undergo a transplant?

There is a common misunderstanding about the role of Rogaine (minoxidil) in hair restoration.

Hair transplanted from the permanent donor supply at the back and sides of the head will continue to grow for a lifetime. No drugs required. However, as with any medical hair loss treatment, minoxidil must be used for life (or at least the foreseeable future) in order to maintain any new hair growth in non-transplanted areas of the scalp that are vulnerable to the effects of androgenic alopecia.

Stopping the drug will result in what is known as "catch up hair loss". In other words, if you see an improvement in density of native hair from using minoxidil and then stop, your hair will eventually (and possibly rapidly) return to the level of baldness you would have had if you had never taken the drug in the first place. But, it will not make you balder than you would have been had you never used it.

The potential problem for hair transplant patients is that progressive hair loss could leave you with an unnatural appearance in the future as native hair separates from transplanted hair leaving an isolated island up top. So, as far as I can see, there is nothing to lose by starting it. It's cheap, has very few side effects, is easy to use and can only enhance the appearance of a hair transplant.

Ideally, hair loss drugs like Rogaine and Propecia (finasteride) should be considered by anyone contemplating hair transplant surgery. Starting them as much as one year prior to surgery could save you money by reducing the number of grafts required to achieve your hair restoration goals. Continuing to use them indefinitely may improve the appearance of your existing native hair and slow the progression of hair loss.

That does not mean that hair transplants without meds are off the table but anyone planning to undergo surgery without using these valuable drugs should make that clear to their hair transplant surgeon as it should be taken into account when planning the procedure.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Ok...sounds reasonably correct.

But what about the side effects from long term usage of finasteride. The typical suggestion from the aurgeaons is to use finasteride daily for 6 months post op...What about after 6 months? Should one still take finasteride daily and will that not have side effects?