BHT into donor area after FUE?

Hi People,

Has anyone had body hair transplanted into the donor area after FUE (or FUT scar). I am considering this option as my Donor is over harvested after a FUE op a little more than a year ago. In addition I have some concerns about the following

-> Would this have any effect on future hair transplants using the transplanted hair in the donor?

-> Have any users here been through this procedure ? would be good to read reviews and see before and after pictures.

Also can you guys please recommend surgeons who are performing this procedure?

Many thanks

• Administrators

I'm very interested in doing this myself, yes this would affect future transplants, body hair should be used last resort once you've completely depleted scalp hair, as for surgeons who are doing this, there's one surgeon in Atlanta who can't be mentioned here who calls this procedure "donor recharging" I've asked Dr. Umar, and he prefers to transplant body hair to the recipient area. In my opinion body hair would best used in the donor area just to add density to a depleted donor, if doctors performed this procedure more there would be less fear of over harvesting or depleting the donor which I wouldn't mind if I could use body hair and smp to disguise it.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I'm very interested in doing this myself, yes this would affect future transplants, body hair should be used last resort once you've completely depleted scalp hair, as for surgeons who are doing this, there's one surgeon in Atlanta who can't be mentioned here who calls this procedure "donor recharging" I've asked Dr. Umar, and he prefers to transplant body hair to the recipient area. In my opinion body hair would best used in the donor area just to add density to a depleted donor, if doctors performed this procedure more there would be less fear of over harvesting or depleting the donor which I wouldn't mind if I could use body hair and smp to disguise it.

Yes absolutely, it would be good to see results of such procedures which is a bit difficult to find online now. I have checked Dr. Mwamba;s website in Belgium, he is a recommended surgeon on here and he seems to be talking about 'Donor recharging' but I have not seen any before/after pictures of his work in that area.

I m thinking th same in the future ( use body hair chest or shoulder in donor area) and beard hair on the knot above donor area? Do you think this will work?

what are the characteristic of body hair to look natural? And usually how long can be grown?

Some docs refer to this as "donor replacement technique" whereby a BH graft is concurrently inserted in each extraction site made in the scalp during a FUE procedure..

There was a fair amount of hype on this roughly 5-7 years ago and it seemed to die off largely due to the inconsistency of results. Too many BH replacement grafts did not produce any growth and the reasons are numerous.

And HTsoon is spot on regarding the doc in Atlanta who IMHO has done more research and test sessions using this type of donor replacement methodology. I think he no longer performs this but I could be wrong. He is very upfront about the inconsistency/reliability of using BH whether in donor replacement or any BH procedure.

From what I have read, chest donor and now beard donor would be the best sources for BH grafts although I would never recommend using it in the hairline.

And I agree that it should only be considered as a last resort starting with a smaller test session to see how the individual responds to it.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I'm guessing if you can use body hairs with a strip scar then you can do it with a FUE scars also? SMP is another option which I was considering but for the fact that I may need to go for another HT in a couple of years on my crown area...I am a bit skeptical about going in for permanent SMP, which probably would give doctors a hard time to differentiate between the pigment and the hair follicle?

As far as I am aware no one in the UK does temporary SMP.

But I think I would rather prefer to have hair put into those dots to make the donor look better even with a buzz hair cut. It would be good if established HT Surgeons could probably do some (more) clinical trials to recharge the donor area with body hair as well. At the moment only a handful HT surgeons are talking about 'Donor Recharging'.

100 or so. Click on my name and look for my post. With a little initiative you can find everything.

Thanks bro, as a newbie here on this site, I was not aware of the shortcuts (ie. clicking on user name to view posts etc), but however I did scan through your posts and I was able to find one post where you mentioned you had about 100 beard grafts implanted by dr. Bhatti, but could find any of your before/after pictures. Any chance of posting your latest pictures of your hairline?

Scalp hair is always preferred over body hair. The characteristics between the two are highly visible to a trained professional. We perform donor re-stocking, also known as 'recharging' or 'farming', the purpose is to extend the use of scalp donor supply. The process is not commonly practiced by most FUE clinics. Mapping and examining every individual patient's donor statistics are important. In the donor area, body hair can minimize the appearance of an overly harvested donor area, reduce the appearance of scarring, and add changes to skin pigmentation. There are positive and negative aspects of using body hair. These cases are unique, and not all individuals are candidates. Not one case is the same, but BHT into the donor can offer benefits with its limitations. On the road to surgical hair restoration, starting off with proper FUE and effective donor management is important.

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Scalp hair is always preferred over body hair. The characteristics between the two are highly visible to a trained professional. We perform donor re-stocking, also known as 'recharging' or 'farming', the purpose is to extend the use of scalp donor supply. The process is not commonly practiced by most FUE clinics. Mapping and examining every individual patient's donor statistics are important. In the donor area, body hair can minimize the appearance of an overly harvested donor area, reduce the appearance of scarring, and add changes to skin pigmentation. There are positive and negative aspects of using body hair. These cases are unique, and not all individuals are candidates. Not one case is the same, but BHT into the donor can offer benefits with its limitations. On the road to surgical hair restoration, starting off with proper FUE and effective donor management is important.

Thanks for the info, do you have any before/after pics of patients that have undergone Donor- restocking at the clinic that you represent?

Hi, I would also like to hear more about this technique you have described. So if I understood it correctly in a case of FUE overharvesting, you can utilize body hair to make it look less obvious? What kind of body hair are you able to use? Beard, chest, abdomen or leg hair?