Dr. Diep 2500 standard for front half of scalp

Dr. Diep in one of his videos made a comment that about 2500 grafts via FUE should be good to cover the front half of the scalp. In his videos he has excellent results. Very dense.

I am a bit surprised

Even if you were only able to pack 40 hairs/sq cm (which is considered on the low side), a standard American business card 8.9cm x 5.1cm = 45.39 sq cm would take 1815 grafts.

That means 2500 grafts at 40 grafts/sq cm would give you about 1.38 business cards worth of coverage. Hardly enough to cover the front half of your head.

Furthermore, you can look at photos on leading hair transplant clinics and 2500 doesn't seem to cover that much.

I have seen all of his video met him in person. He usually says 2500 for the frontal third not the front half. He says that number in most of his videos. I have said some negative things about certain things but I honestly don't think he is trying to be deceptive.

The average hair transplant surgery in the US is still usually between 2000-2500 grafts (despite some of the very large sessions we see on these boards), and many people do not get crown work done. In this range, you can get good front coverage and top coverage with a mature hairline i.e. somewhat high. If you want a lower hairline or dense front reconstruction that may not be enough grafts for you.

• Administrators

I think you're hung up on something petty, he probably meant to say midscalp I don't know what doctors results you've been seeing but 2,500 grafts to the front third and midscalp with good yield should give good density, remember the graft count doesn't matter, what matters is the yield i.e growth of the grafts, nothing out of the ordinary at all, is there any agenda against Dr. Diep?

Here's Dr. Konoir result 2,500 grafts to the front and midscalp, notice this guy was almost completely bald, now look at the density and coverage he got. Again I don't know who's before and after a you've been looking at but nothing screamed too good to be true about Dr. Dieps results.

2500 Grafts by Dr. Konior - Hair Loss Surgery - Before and After Gallery

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Dont be ridiculous i have nothing against diep. i am actually interested in using him as my HT surgeon.

However, I am trying to make sense of things and 2500 seems too little.

Btw, I have been looking at a lot of H&W pics and their results are supposed to be one of the best and most of their results seem to need more.

Btw that Konlor result's after pics has decent coverage but its greatly aided by the fact that the hair is dry, coarse, curly, and flat against the head.

if it was wet it would make a big difference.

• Administrators

2,500 may be to little for you I don't know, have you been examined by a hair restoration physician, hair characteristics skin to hair color contrast, and head size all play a role in how many grafts you'll need, just because 2,500 grafts may be to small for someone doesn't necessarily mean its not enough for everyone.

Generally though 2,500 grafts should be enough to cover the hairline to midscalp, Dr. Konoir's result was legit because he did not use favorable lighting and he also did a topview shot which really shows you what the results are and his patient was almost completely bald.

Here's Dr. Rahal's 2,500 grafts to the front to midscalp again this patient is even balder than Dr. Dieps patient was, so I don't see how you think Dr. Dieps results are unbelievable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXnYXMBYtVk

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Looking at the Diep video of the patient which has different lighting I see it is not as thick as I thought it was. This is consistent with Konlor's patient. Rahal's photographs are fuzzy but I can kind of tell the density is about the same.

Dr. Diep in one of his videos made a comment that about 2500 grafts via FUE should be good to cover the front half of the scalp. In his videos he has excellent results. Very dense.

I am a bit surprised

Even if you were only able to pack 40 hairs/sq cm (which is considered on the low side), a standard American business card 8.9cm x 5.1cm = 45.39 sq cm would take 1815 grafts.

That means 2500 grafts at 40 grafts/sq cm would give you about 1.38 business cards worth of coverage. Hardly enough to cover the front half of your head.

Furthermore, you can look at photos on leading hair transplant clinics and 2500 doesn't seem to cover that much.

You may be confusing grafts/cm2 and hairs/cm2. Not sure, but they are different.

Some people may get away with 2500 grafts in the front half more than others.

Usually grafts in the hairline will have 1 hair only so 40 grafts = 40 hairs. As you move back you need less grafts but the grafts will more likely have 2 or 3 hairs.

So 20 grafts/cm2 at the back of the head could contain as much hair as at the front.

If you don't have a lot of 2/3/4 hair grafts in your donor the more likely 2500 will be insufficient to cover the front half.

In my own case I had about 45 grafts/cm2 at the front and as low as 20 grafts/cm2 at the back.

If you also have thick/wavy hair strands the more dense it will appear.

Anyway, hope this makes sense.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

It would best for you future-ht to try to meet some patients from the clinic you decide on.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.