Concerns re Donor Density

Im booked with Dr Demirsoy in January. I'm just concerned regarding my donor density. My individual hairs are quite thick, but to me, the density per cm2 seems low to me. I don't want to arrive there and be told I can't proceed, if there is less hair than my online consultation pics show. He recommended 3000-3500 grafts to restore the hairline and some crown. Also concerned about the donor being over harvested.

Opinions would be appreciated. Apologies for the pic quality.

Hair at the back is roughly 3/4 guard length.

20151019_131340_Richtone(HDR).jpg.9ae0587e0e0b0cb2798e710f582d16d9.jpg

20151019_131254_Richtone(HDR).jpg.314d831d10ca5488facc0c6d8d54315e.jpg

20151019_131055_Richtone(HDR)-1.jpg.57758cd1a717106770ae3d3f4bce3fc0.jpg

20151019_131012_Richtone(HDR).jpg.70c3d130e02a08c1864acf42b67a5129.jpg

I think this is fairly difficult to tell from photos alone. Have you consulted with anyone in person regarding your density concerns? I feel like this is something you'd want more hands-on recommendations. You might also be able to set up a virtual consultation over video. Try to consult with several surgeons you have faith in and see if they can weight in on your potential donor density.

It's always hard to judge donor quality precisely by photos alone. If you can, get a face to face consultation as this is the only truly accurate way to check.

I am an online representative for Farjo Hair Institute

Dr. Bessam Farjo is an esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions shared are my own.

Dolph,

A couple of things. First, you are undoubtedly considering FUE based on the surgeon(s) that you are considering. And IMHO, that's a better choice of methods since a strip would need to be ear-to-ear in order to harvest that range of proposed grafts. And having a lower level of donor density would make it harder to hide the strip scar unless you intend to wear your hair length much longer to hide it.

Although it is best to get an in-person evaluation, it does appear that you have a lower level of donor density based on the multiple photos. I enlarged them by downloading into separate frames to arrive at this observation. You may want to consider staying on the conservative side regarding the size of the proposed session due to your donor density concerns. And it sounds like this would be your first procedure right?

Regardless whether you have either method, you want to see how the healing and subsequent scarring may show. Even with FUE, if you have a large session, the scarring might be more visible than expected and why the smaller session would be well advised. Be careful though, some docs may not be as concerned about it however it's your head and if the scarring was more visible than expected, you cannot reverse it.

You definitely want the extractions spaced adequately apart as to not end up with an over-harvested appearance. You also are wearing a shorter hair style and if you will want to continue wearing your hair short, then the issue of post-op appearance of your donor zone is all the more important.

And if things turn out well Dolph, you can always have more work done...;)

If it were me, I would wait on the crown for now. Management of your available limited donor reserves is critical especially if your total graft availability is on the lower side of the scale. And obviously MPB is progressive over a lifetime...you are still young and more hair loss is on the horizon as much as none of us want that to occur.

It is always a good idea to get multiple opinions because some are going to be on the aggressive side and some with a more conservative approach.

Best wishes to you Dolph and thanks for sharing your pics and story with us...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Forgot to mention that it appears that you may have some retro-alopecia going on from the base of the neck going upward. This observation is based on the 4th and last photo.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm 46 and my hair has just receded slowly and seems to have stabilised. I'm concerned about a "moth eaten" appearance with the grafting and to me, it does seem that my hairs are spaced per cm in the donor area. I'm not planning to lower the front point of the hairline, just enhance the front and have an age appropriate hairline, that doesn't look as receded as it does now. Subtle, and not over aggressive. I'm booked with Dr Demirsoy for January 16 and have e mailed some more pics to his rep Clemens. As this is my first procedure, I want to make sure it's going to go right and i'm not going to turn up and be told it's not possible to proceed.

There's also a fair bit of grey hair at the back, which may look lighter in the pics.

Dolph,

It's nice to see that you have done your homework and research before proceeding. And I do think your goals are realistic and achievable especially with not lowering your existing hairline. It won't take a real high graft number to fill in those temporal lobe areas of recession. You will be surprised at how much of a difference filling in those areas will make. You definitely will look younger as a result.

You are aware of your donor density issues and as long as you are careful as to the harvesting of your donor and your limitations, then you can take control of how much work will be done.

And also a bit surprised that you are 46 as you appear younger in the pics...:)

Best wishes to you in your upcoming procedure and keep us in the loop as to your progress and results...;)

Gillenator

Thanks... :D:D I think good genetics, working out and moisturising has helped. :D

I definitely don't think a very low hairline would look right on me. I'm sort of used to the high forehead, which I think is more aesthetically appropriate in middle age.:o

I've sent Clemens Weber some more pics for Dr Demirsoy to look at. He seems a very ethical, professional surgeon and that's why, after researching this endlessly, I opted for him.

Gillenator (as always) gave very sound advice, so it seems you're on the right track. Personally, I would do whatever I could to get an in person consultation first so that you can get the most accurate evaluation possible. Even if it's not a doctor you're considering, if you can simply go to them to get their thoughts on donor density, etc. it would be helpful. Based on the photos, I see your concerns about the donor density seeming low. The bottom line is though that you seem to have really done your research, so I trust that whatever decision you make will be well informed.

And no - you don't come across as 46. :cool:

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Thanks for the kind replies. :o:D

I'm waiting to hear back from Clemens, who is going to show Dr D the recent pics. Worst case scenario, I fly out and end up with a few days trip in Istanbul.:(

Having seen norwood 5/6 cases on here, with not great donor area get good results, I hope I can at least get a good hairline put in to frame the face and lose the Bruce Willis look.:)

I don't really have a lot of body hair either, apart from my legs. I'm not really a very hairy person, so i'm open for any suggestions.

I hope I am being realistic, in that I don't want a very low hairline and will probably opt for a slightly receded look, that will fit in with my age. The point of the hairline is 7cm to my brows and I don't think it would look right lowering this.