Am I in the beginning of hair loss?

• 3 weeks later...

So, I have a lot of hair and on that picture everything may look okay, but I can feel my hair thinning on the top of my head. I just got my hair cut a bit today and the person cut my hair noticed the same thing. The last person who cut my hair though used some kind of thinning tool to thin out my hair--this was three months ago, and the sides and back seem fine. What should i do about this?

Edited by dc1386

dc,

What you are seeing is diffused loss in the center of your scalp. Diffusion is progressive loss of hair shaft diameter (caliber).

As the years go by the diffusion continues until the degree of hair caliber becomes very thin and then it eventually sheds.

You are a superb candidate for low dose finasteride (Propecia) because where you are diffusing is where finasteride is the most effective including the crown area.

So the best thing to do is to go in and get examined by a reputable hair loss doctor and get the advice and oversight of getting on effective hairloss meds. Even Rogaine Foam can potentially thicken that area back up again so that's another option. Any of the doctors at my signature can examine you and provide you with some sound medicinal advice for treating your situation with effective hair loss medications.

For many men, finasteride effectively inhibits the DHT that causes the hair loss. Rogaine does not but rather can potentially increase the degree of hair caliber and also potentially rejuvenate growth that was recently lost. Propecia requires a prescription but Rogaine Foam does not and Rogaine can be purchased at many retailers.

Many men use a combination of both to manage their genetic hair loss.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

For many men, finasteride effectively inhibits the DHT that causes the hair loss. Rogaine does not but rather can potentially increase the degree of hair caliber and also potentially rejuvenate growth that was recently lost.

How would you define "recently" in this case? Do you think combined fin / rogaine treatment could return your hair to the state it was a year or two before use?

It's hard to tell based on the photo alone. For your own peace of mind, I would set up an appointment with a doctor close to you just to get an initial consultation. They'll be able to check the miniaturization levels of your hair and find out if what you're experiencing is MPB. They'll also be able to write you a prescription for Finasteride should you be a good candidate for that.

Try not to stress and worry too much. You seem to have a lot of hair, so even if it is thinning, you should have options. All of this is something you can discuss in person with a qualified doctor. Use the recommended list here to find one that's close to you. And for the sake of your sanity, the sooner you can do this, the better. I know firsthand how easy it is to become obsessed about your potential hair loss once you suspect it may be coming.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Always hard to tell from a picture alone but it looks ok to me. As you have a family history of mpb though I would just suggest keeping an eye on it. Worth taking pictures every few months under identical lighting conditions to see if it progresses.

I am an online representative for Farjo Hair Institute

Dr. Bessam Farjo is an esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions shared are my own.

DC,

I'm on the fence. From the thumbnail, it looks like a normal crown with no thinning. However, there does appear to be some miniaturization in the crown when the photo is enlarged.

Could you share a few more? Do you notice thinning anywhere else on the scalp?

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

How would you define "recently" in this case? Do you think combined fin / rogaine treatment could return your hair to the state it was a year or two before use?

I would define recently as hair lost in the past 12 months. And although the chances of your hair returning to its state more than 12 months ago is not likely, anything that we can do to slow down future progression is highly advisable.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

• 3 months later...

dc,

Do you have any pics when your hair is dry and combed/brushed?

Gillenator