3rd week post-op, FUE HT

Hello everyone,

I had a FUE HT, 3 weeks ago in Turkey, 3000grafts and a PRP treatment.

As far as I know scabbing should be done by week 2, but when i look at my hair, I still have plenty of dead cells, skin etc. attached to my follicles.

Truth is, I'm very gentle with washing and touching my recipient are, since it's a weird hedgehog like feeling and I don't feel putting my fingers in there.

What worries me is that now, when I'm entering the hair loss period, I'm noticing few hairs falling with I believe what is scabs still attached to them.

What I notice is that the new hairs don't seem that dense :( You can see at the attached photo.

Shall I be worried about the progress so far?

Does anyone have any tips for me?

Thanks in advance

123.jpg.6d7fb9e8c0356b7fc5b0e774308259b1.jpg

Hello everyone,

I had a FUE HT, 3 weeks ago in Turkey, 3000grafts and a PRP treatment.

As far as I know scabbing should be done by week 2, but when i look at my hair, I still have plenty of dead cells, skin etc. attached to my follicles.

Truth is, I'm very gentle with washing and touching my recipient are, since it's a weird hedgehog like feeling and I don't feel putting my fingers in there.

What worries me is that now, when I'm entering the hair loss period, I'm noticing few hairs falling with I believe what is scabs still attached to them.

What I notice is that the new hairs don't seem that dense :( You can see at the attached photo.

Shall I be worried about the progress so far?

Does anyone have any tips for me?

Thanks in advance

I will be two weeks post-op starting tomorrow (2500 grafts FUE), and yesterday night (my 12th day post-op) I am 100% scab free. When my scabs came off, a lot of them did have small hairs attached to them, but from what I was told and read, that this is normal as long as the scab wasn't forcefully pulled out and there was no significant bleeding. At 3 weeks, I think you have more scabs than you should have which I guess is due to your extra gentle washing.

I think you need to soak your head under a shower, get a gentle shampoo (baby shampoo or something moisturizing), lather up your scalp and very gently rub your scalp with your fingers in a circular motion and let the scabs slowly fall out. Do this for 5 minutes or so and rinse your head again under the shower and you'll see a huge improvement. This is what I did and it worked.

Don't worry about the hairs falling out with the scabs, but I did read that if scabs are left in for too long, it could have a negative impact on your grafts. Good luck!

1st Procedure, Oct. 2012 - 1,704 grafts FUT w/Dr. True

2nd Procedure, Sept. 2015 - 2500 grafts FUE w/Dr. Vories

FUE Progress - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/180966-my-experience-w-dr-vories-2-500-grafts.html

FUE 1 year result - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/184716-1-year-results-2-500-grafts-w-dr-vories.html

If those photos are at three weeks then you've been too light fingered by far. As said here, start massaging and getting the scalp clean now.

It's always hard to know on the first op what to do and many are over cautious but really get washing and massing well now. Speak to your own clinic if you have concerns and let them guide you if needed but should see massive improvements in the next days if you wash well.

I represent Dr. Bisanga.

Dr. Christian Bisanga is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

It's quite common for a lot of guys to be so afraid of dislodging grafts that they're often way too conservative and careful when cleaning the scalp after a transplant. At this point, your grafts can't be damaged, so you definitely need to take care of the scabs. Each doctor will have their own method/protocol for doing this, and it's best to follow your surgeons advice, but a hot shower and letting shampoo suds soak on the scalp for a while will help soften them up and make them really easy to remove.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

boyhairfue,

Welcome to our discussion forum and social community. Don't worry, you have nothing to worry about. in my opinion, you look good for 3 weeks. As another member said, you could gently massage your scalp in a circular motion using your finger tips (no nails) in the shower to help work off the scabs. Don't worry about seeing hairs along with some of the scabs. The hairs may shed, but the follicle is embedded deep beneath the scalp.

Heal and grow well :-)

Bill

Thanks all!

It is my first op indeed, and I'm quite nervous about not screwing it up myself, that would kill me :/

In fact I take hot showers, with shampoo and gentle motion for the last few days, but I don't wanna screw it as I said, I'm letting water do its magic. Hopefully it will all turn out well :)

You need to massage those scabs off. A bunch of tried and tested ways to do it posted on this forum.

Could you possibly provide a link, cuz I can't seem to find the posts?

What you are seeing are "crusts" and when they come off they usually have the graft hair with them. So they are not scabs but the tips of the grafts which is dead tissue and really serve no purpose at this point in time post-op.

Most surgeons want their patients to remove those crusts when they are 12 days or so post-op. And it does help to first soften them up with shampoo in the shower. Simply allow the suds to sit on your scalp for 5-7 minutes and then use your fingertips to loosen them, and then rinse off.

It's okay to get more aggressive in rubbing them off...you won't hurt your grafts.

Congrats on your recent procedure...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY