Conflicting Recommendations from Reputable Doctors

As of now I am a NW 3v with crown thinning (almost total coverage but definitely noticeable thinning) and more significant frontal thinning. There's no hair on the original hairline but there's reasonable coverage just a bit further back, and a little toppik produces a satisfactory appearance.

I've had consultations with 3 clinics. All three are reputable, with Clinic #2 having a reputation for high integrity and conservative treatment of hair loss. Clinic #1 has highly respected surgeons and from what I can see nothing negative said about it as concerns doing what's in the patients best interests. Clinic #3 is extremely popular and with good reason, having what seems like standout results. I did not go to Clinic #3 in person, just sent pics. Clinic #1 has in-person pics from '09, '14 and '15.

1 and 2 gave me the same recommendation: get on propecia and 1900 FUT. (I had been been on Propecia a few times since '09 but always ended stopping it and resuming later, which was a bad idea because it may have actually done something and it seems dumb to not at least try it, given its proven effects for many. I'm on it now and plant to be indefinitely). 3, the one I did not go to in person, wants to wait a year and reassess, citing future loss as a concern. Aside from not having seen me in person (maybe a big factor, obviously), I can't think of any different information that 3 would have had on which to make an assessment. I sent the pics to 3 a month after getting back on vitamin p, which has caused a shed, so maybe I was a bit thinner than, but not irregularly so. Also clinic 3 appeared to be more interested in the fact that I was a smoker than the other places. I smoked for 8 years and am a month smoke-free.

Is it normal to get conflicting recommendations from reputable doctors? Anyone else been in a similar situation?

Yes. That's normal. Different docs have different ideas for treatment. It's not unusual at all.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

It is super normal - there is no flat rate book out there that a physician opens up, looks at a chart, and gives you a pre-set number of grafts.

It is not like asking for a transmission for your Pinto.

(2 days and $1200)

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

As long as all 3 docs are reputable and you trust their judgment, I would go with the one whose approach feels the most right to you personally. Every doctor is going to have their own opinions based on various factors, and I don't think there's ever one "right" approach.

You've clearly done tons of research, which is fantastic. I think biting the bullet and making the final decision is always the hardest part.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

As of now I am a NW 3v with crown thinning (almost total coverage but definitely noticeable thinning) and more significant frontal thinning. There's no hair on the original hairline but there's reasonable coverage just a bit further back, and a little toppik produces a satisfactory appearance.

I've had consultations with 3 clinics. All three are reputable, with Clinic #2 having a reputation for high integrity and conservative treatment of hair loss. Clinic #1 has highly respected surgeons and from what I can see nothing negative said about it as concerns doing what's in the patients best interests. Clinic #3 is extremely popular and with good reason, having what seems like standout results. I did not go to Clinic #3 in person, just sent pics. Clinic #1 has in-person pics from '09, '14 and '15.

1 and 2 gave me the same recommendation: get on propecia and 1900 FUT. (I had been been on Propecia a few times since '09 but always ended stopping it and resuming later, which was a bad idea because it may have actually done something and it seems dumb to not at least try it, given its proven effects for many. I'm on it now and plant to be indefinitely). 3, the one I did not go to in person, wants to wait a year and reassess, citing future loss as a concern. Aside from not having seen me in person (maybe a big factor, obviously), I can't think of any different information that 3 would have had on which to make an assessment. I sent the pics to 3 a month after getting back on vitamin p, which has caused a shed, so maybe I was a bit thinner than, but not irregularly so. Also clinic 3 appeared to be more interested in the fact that I was a smoker than the other places. I smoked for 8 years and am a month smoke-free.

Is it normal to get conflicting recommendations from reputable doctors? Anyone else been in a similar situation?

Can you name the clinics? It will help us to dispense advice.

There are actually more consistencies between them than not.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I'm currently weighing FUT vs FUE from two of the top surgeons in the world. One feels he can produce equivalent yield and results with FUE, the other maintains FUT remains the better option. How do you reconcile? Not sure, go with your instincts.

There are actually more consistencies between them than not.

Yeah, that's why I've felt confused since getting #3's recommendation. #2, the conservative (ultra-conservative?) clinic, had no problem recommending 1900 FUT and they had not seen me before. So it seems weird that Clinic #3, not known for being conservative by any means, would say "let's wait a year to get better information on what your pattern is". One (very) speculative explanation is that while I don't have the finest hair, I do have hair that is on the fine side, which is liable to yield a less aesthetically impactful result, i.e. a less usable before/after. Clinic #3 is also extremely popular and hence could be very choosy w/o impacting its bottom line much if at all.

I understand. Clinic #3 may see that you have a diffused thinning pattern that is advanced and therefore waiting awhile may prove beneficial to see if you begin to lose the thinning hair sooner than later.

Once the loss manifests in a defined pattern, it will provide a more clearer idea of how much work is needed.

Otherwise it's hard to say what the reasoning might be.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY