Cutting thinning hair short MYTH

• Administrators

I just wanted to dispel this myth that seems to never die out, the myth is that you should cut your hair short when your hair is thinning, this is absolutely ridiculous and wrong, first of all their is a difference between short and shaving, most men cut their hair maybe a 2 guard all around doing this will make you look balder. If you're going to cut your hair short you better buzz it no guard or shave it with a razor no imbetween. You're way better off growing your hair out and leaving the sides short, this will allow your hair to layer on top of each other and cover the scalp (illusion of density) keeping the hair short on the sides will keep the contrast between the thinning hair and the sides at a minimum.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

HTsoon,

You raise a good point. I think that it's important to find the "sweet spot" between too long and too short for the best appearance.

A skilled stylist can certainly assist in creating an appearance of greater density.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

• Administrators

This is a perfect example of what I'm talking about, with longer hair you couldn't tell he was bald, once he cut it to about a 3 all around you could see he is significantly thinning, this is the worst thing you could do, either buzz it shave it or keep it long.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

This is a perfect example of what I'm talking about, with longer hair you couldn't tell he was bald, once he cut it to about a 3 all around you could see he is significantly thinning, this is the worst thing you could do, either buzz it shave it or keep it long.

Funny thing is he would probably have a killer HT result with that persistent forelock.

Agreed. Though as David mentioned, finding that "sweet spot" is crucial and I assume it's slightly different for everyone. Before my HT, I had the perfect length I could keep on top to disguise my receding hairline. It needed to be just long enough to style, but once it got too long, the recession would get extremely noticeable as the hair wouldn't want to stay up in the front. It would start laying flat and you could see clearly that I was missing a considerable amount of hair up front.

So glad I don't have to worry about that anymore... :cool:

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

• Administrators

Yea I agree about the sweet spot, just long enough to style and conceal, I think the guy in the video had a decent length that disguised his hairloss quite well, but then he must've been told by someone non balding more than likely to cut his hair short. As you an see when your hair is short you will look balder, even when you have a hair transplant, in order for the transplant to look good you have to grow it out, otherwise the illusion of density is lost and you'll see that you still look thin, even the best hair transplants are like this.

View my thread

He was doing a pretty good job of styling his hair. We didn't get to see the top view prior to buzzing but he probably would have benefited from Toppik or similar. He also seems like a good candidate for Propecia and Rogaine. Wonder if he gave drugs a shot.

It would be interesting to have a follow up and find out if he kept the buzzed look and what his impressions were afterward.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

• Administrators

I saw another vid he posted looks like his hairloss has progressed and he's continued to cut his hair short, some of the comments on the video even told him he shouldn't have cut his hair short he looked better before, when you're in the beginning stages of minitiaurization like him, you should keep your hair at a length that can conceal, you should get on hair loss medications, and you should use hair thickening products, the last and I mean LAST thing you should ever do is cut your hair short, once you do there is no going back, you will see how bad your hair loss really is and everyone will see it too, so forget about concealing it anymore. It really does upset me when clueless people give advice to young guys like that guy, the first thing they say is cut your hair short, basically they're saying show everyone how bald you've gotten.

View my thread