Transplanted Hair Won't Go In The Direction I Want It To

I have a little problem with the direction of my transplanted hair. It's thick and looks like regular hair, that's not the problem.

I style it short with a small fringe going to the right. This style is OK but my temple point is weaker on the left and I'd like to try styling it to the left to cover this but when I do the hair sticks straight up and it's a battle to get it to lay down going to the left whereas it looks totally natural when it goes to the right.

Is this a normal characteristic of hair and will the direction change if I blow dry it to the left everyday? Or has my transplanted hair been designed to only go in one direction and this will never change?

It's been about a year and a half since I had my hair transplant.

After a year and a half you are probably not going to see the hair change it's direction.

I use this firm hold hair spray from Aveda and my hair will stay where I want it. Highly recommend it!

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

I blowdry'd it in the opposite direction and it seemed to stay which I was pleased about. It doesn't look as good that way though, or maybe it's just the cut. It is difficult finding the perfect hairstyle after a hair transplant I think, I keep changing mine!

It's difficult to change the direction of hair once it's been growing in the opposite way.

Maybe try some gel, let it dry and then brush back through. This will help to train the direction of the hair in the way you want it but it takes time to tame the hair direction.

And the longer in length that the hair is, the easier it is to train. It's more difficult with shorter hair length.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• 1 month later...

If I want to, for example, comb my hair to the right, does the doctor need to know that and place the hair in such a way to make it possible? I ask because it seems like almost every "after" photo shows the front of the hair combed almost vertical. I would never style my hair that way.

Are these "after" hair styles intended to provide the most visibility to the transplanted hair, or are the hairs transplanted in such a way that they force this near vertical frontal hair style?

I think this is related to the type of your hair and the direction when the surgent cut the skin and put the grafts. I found many people struggling with their hairstyle after HT even worse some people have suddenly kinky hair. So that s why people using so many products to force the hair to go to the direction they want.

With my old hair i used t keep it without any product as it it is fine and it fall naturally on my head now after HT I m still waiting to see if the the situation will be changed or not. I hope no surprises on the road.

Most of the time the new transplants are put in at a "neutral angle" not much different than the angle of the original hairs when they were the there. The problem is that in the hairline the original hairs were softer because they were thinner, and this made them more pliable and "styling compliant". Unfortunately, BECAUSE the original hairs in that area were thin, they were prone to falling out if male pattern baldness was in your future, which it obviously was. NOW you have put in new hairs from the donor area which are comparably thick and not as flexible or "style compliant. The good news is they are not prone to fall out.

It's great to try to plan for a particular hair style before a transplant, but I have learned that it's best to tell patients to stick with which ever style looks the best after the first year and stick with it, even if it's not the original style the patient may have been hoping for.

This is not a new concept for any of us since as we were losing our hair we changed our hair styles to maximize coverage. So go with what looks best with an open mind rather than trying to force it into a particular style. Remember, an HT is about the illusion of having more hair than you really do and styling plays as much a roll in this deception as do the hairs themselves.

Grow well.

Dr. Feller

If I want to, for example, comb my hair to the right, does the doctor need to know that and place the hair in such a way to make it possible? I ask because it seems like almost every "after" photo shows the front of the hair combed almost vertical. I would never style my hair that way.

Are these "after" hair styles intended to provide the most visibility to the transplanted hair, or are the hairs transplanted in such a way that they force this near vertical frontal hair style?

Many guys style or comb their hair that way after a HT procedure for several reasons. One reason is that combing/brushing the hair straight back provides for extra visual coverage especially if the mid-scalp is thinning which is the case for many of us. You can call it a vertical comb back but it works.

I style my hair this way to help create more visual volume which does make my hair look like more coverage or hair mass than what is actually there by actual density.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Many guys style or comb their hair that way after a HT procedure for several reasons. One reason is that combing/brushing the hair straight back provides for extra visual coverage especially if the mid-scalp is thinning which is the case for many of us. You can call it a vertical comb back but it works.

I style my hair this way to help create more visual volume which does make my hair look like more coverage or hair mass than what is actually there by actual density.

I guess I'm so used to trying to conceal my scalp, and combing my hair back is the absolute worst way to conceal it. So, it's hard for me to imagine doing it.

I'm actually scheduled for a 3000 unit FUT procedure next week. I've got some very thin hair on top, but not much, especially around the hairline. Within a year or so, should I expect a procedure of 3000 grafts to allow me to comb my hair back without being able to see the curvature of my scalp?

My doctor said that my donor area density is right in the middle(not the highest, but not the lowest), and I would say my hairs tend to be thin to medium, but not thick.

• 1 month later...

What about combing the hair forward, in a caesar style? Does transplanted hair generally work well for that, or not? With little or no loss in the crown and vertex. Its rare to see an 'after' picture styled like that, they all show off the hairline.