Post-FUE: Can I play already play football/soccer on the beach?

Tony,

Glad you are asking.

First, yes IMHO you can resume all sporting activity except weight lifting if you had FUHT (strip). Running, soccer, swimming, etc., wnon't hurt your grafts.

But you must keep your scalp covered from the sun rays with a cap, no exceptions. Do not expose your recipient area to direct sunlight UVA rays.

Have fun on your vacation...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

OOPS, forgot you had FUE, sorry.

No worries about stretching your donor scar...WHEW...;)

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Thank you!

And how about when I'm gonna swim? I can't use a cap in the water.

If I keep putting my hair wet is it enough to protect my scalp from the sunlight? Do I need to dive my head every 5 minutes or so?

Get a swim can ~ tell everyone you're training for the Olympics!

Seriously, the UV rays and reflection off the water is sunburn city.

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Get a swim can ~ tell everyone you're training for the Olympics!

Seriously, the UV rays and reflection off the water is sunburn city.

So it's worse to get into the water than staying out of the water?!

I'm not gonna get a swim cap, I don't trust them. It presses our hair a lot.

Now I'm scared to go to swim and ruin my FUE procedure...

In Australia I see people go swimming with a baseball cap all the time. Skin cancer can be a b!tch - even without a hair transplant. It may look odd to the uneducated but those who know how to protect themselves will have the last laugh.

It is up to you whether you want to risk it, but you spent all that money and time .. why not play on the safe side. I am sure at 3 months, you are safe to apply a generous amount of sunblock on your scalp... but you should ask your Dr to be sure.

Do not expose your recipient area to direct sunlight UVA rays.

Hi Gillenator,

Just curious, is there a reason why you specifically mention UVA? What about UVB? Are you aware of something that suggests UVA is more harmful?

It is up to you whether you want to risk it, but you spent all that money and time .. why not play on the safe side. I am sure at 3 months, you are safe to apply a generous amount of sunblock on your scalp... but you should ask your Dr to be sure.

Trust me: I'm one of those "paranoic freaks" concerning post-FUE. I always play safe.

But since it's Summer vacations I wanted to have a bit fun. And the reports about the cautions we should have in the beach seem to vary from doctor to doctor.

My doctor said that there's no problem at all going to the water but I should wet by hair time from time; he said that the only two concerns I should have is:

- always using cap in the beach and when I'm not in the water

- avoiding to use ir hit the head while playing sports such as football/soccer

But I always loved to hear/read second opinions.

;)

Edited by TonyStark83

I went on a Cruise to the Florida Keys and Mexico approx. 30 days after my HT. I kept a baseball cap on whenever I was out on deck or land - If you are careful when swimming and keep your exposure minimal, it will probably be alright, but just be aware of the damage the suns UV ray can quickly do in general. I think you should be okay - but no head butting whilst engaging in soccer!!

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Hi Gillenator,

Just curious, is there a reason why you specifically mention UVA? What about UVB? Are you aware of something that suggests UVA is more harmful?

My bad. Scientifically, all three types which are UVA, UVB, and UVC are potentially harmful so I really should have included all three types. Please allow me to expand my prior comments. In general terms I think we are most acquainted with UVA exposure such as what is provided in many daily weather reports. Typically, the sun rays are represented in UVA exposures, however here's a quick summary:

UVA: long wave ultra violet rays that can potentially age the skin

UVB: short wave ultra violet rays that can potentially burn the skin

UVC: most damaging short wave ultra violet rays however they are supposedly completely filtered by the earth's atmosphere and probably why we don't hear much about it.

Overall, UV rays are closest to the earth's surface at the equator and no doubt presents the highest potential of damage to the skin. Clouds do not prevent the effects of the harmful rays as some may tend to rationalize.

Yet whether we are discussing UVA or UVB, my recommendation is to completely cover the scalp post-op to protect the scalp, especially the grafts from the sun's exposure. And the cap material should not allow the harmful rays to penetrate the cap.

I am not a big advocate of sun block lotions post-op because there can be huge differences in the ingredients and efficiency of the various products. Not all sun block lotions are the same. Obviously the higher rating, the more potential protection however most sun block lotions eventually become non-effective after several hours and must be re-applied often. The quicker/higher the rate of perspiration and/or exposure into water such as swimming can delude the protection.

A cap provides continual protection as long as the individual wears it...;)

Thanks Options for inducing me to clarify because UVB rays can IMHO be potentially more harmful to the "grafts" than UVA exposure because of the burn factor.

Gillenator

Yeah. I'm just scared that water isn't enough to protect my scalp even underwater.

Tony,

Water will not protect your scalp, just the opposite IMHO.

Gillenator

Tony,

Water will not protect your scalp, just the opposite IMHO.

Well for now I've never entered into the water and I'm always using a cap whenever I'm not under shadows.

Only after 20h (20:00PM) I take my cap out.

I'm not risking anything at all. Obviously I'm exaggerating and being a bit paranoid... well...

:D