Softening Up The Hairline

I've had multiple 90's style plug procedures in the past which luckily weren't that bad density wise. But left me with a rather harsh and obvious hairline and not much donor hair left. I'm debating between adding density and softening the hairline.

As to the hairline. How many on average would I need to soften up the hairline and round off the temples ?

I agree that in order to give a better feedback, you should post pictures of your hairline. The more clear the pics the better. :)

Just looking at a rough estimate at this point. I'm told I have about 1600 left. And want to see where I stand.

In order for us to get a good idea and give you advice, the pictures would be really helpful. To keep your anonymity, take the pictures from the forehead up.... Or you can take a picture of your whole face and simply black your face out with a photo app. Otherwise, we're just guessing. :)

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

OK I see... I hope they are clear enough.

Though I just noticed the hairline actually looks better in the photos for some reason than in person. So just take that into account.

Thanks again...

1.jpg.7853fdfb4fe5116eb8231212027727b2.jpg

2.jpg.817484b9e0821797ec6158221c92cb48.jpg

I think if you add some singles to soften the hairline and add a little density that would be great. You hair looks good. I am surprised that you have little donor left. Have you had a lot of surgeries?

I think if you add some singles to soften the hairline and add a little density that would be great. You hair looks good. I am surprised that you have little donor left. Have you had a lot of surgeries?

Yes unfortunately I had multiple procedures back in the 90's. Of which I'm sure there was a lot of waste.

As I said the photos are deceiving, the hairline in real life looks rather harsh. Its hard to describe, I think because its so thick (relatively) at the edge instead of gradually thickening that makes it jump out so much and make it so unnatural. I've noticed when I comb it back peoples eyes go up as opposed to when I comb it down as I usually do. That and the spaces between the plugs and it's overall shape are a dead give away.

As I have a limited amount of donor, at least according to one doc I would appreciate a number as to what Id need to soften this up to look more natural. And to where they should be placed for the most benefit.

Best case scenario Id hope to be able to soften the hair line and add some much needed density behind it...

So guys how much do I need and where should they be placed ???

Thought about your response. A few single hairs using fue perhaps might suffice. But how many ? The cost could get out of hand, as this sometimes appears to be a bottomless pit !

Isn't it interesting you receive more responses asking for photos, than responses actually just answering the question..... even after you've posted the photos.

I think you could soften the hairline with a few hundred grafts to 500 if that's your only goal. Doctors like Dr K that only does one pt per day no matter what the size will be more expensive than of you find someone you can piggy back off of. However, I do think he'd be a good person to consult on this, if just for the advice.

Also, he could look at you and suggest doing fue to thin the mini grafts rather the just adding to the hair line. Its a tough choice and I think your in a delicate situation. The hairline may not need to be dropped. Hard to tell from pics. I think you should see a trusted hairline doc in person. Let us know what you decide.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I would agree with Spanker that 300-500 grafts could be enough to help soften your hairline. However, I do believe your best approach is to see one of the recommended surgeons here in person. They'll be able to get a much better idea of what your options are by being able to see your donor supply as well as what your hairline actually looks like in person (as opposed to photos). Given that you said that it looks much different in person than in pictures makes it even more difficult to get a good idea of what you should do. I think that's perhaps why people are being hesitant to comment, as no one wants to steer you in the wrong direction.

Based on the photos, however, I will say that you look to be in pretty good shape, and I would be surprised if this wasn't somewhat of a relatively easy fix. Start doing some research on surgeons on this forum, and see which ones spark your interest. Then look into setting up a consultation with them and formulating a game plan.

Best of luck.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

I think you could soften the hairline with a few hundred grafts to 500 if that's your only goal. Doctors like Dr K that only does one pt per day no matter what the size will be more expensive than of you find someone you can piggy back off of. However, I do think he'd be a good person to consult on this, if just for the advice.

Also, he could look at you and suggest doing fue to thin the mini grafts rather the just adding to the hair line. Its a tough choice and I think your in a delicate situation. The hairline may not need to be dropped. Hard to tell from pics. I think you should see a trusted hairline doc in person. Let us know what you decide.

Thanks Spanker, 500 fu to soften the hairline and finish it off sounds doable. Yes it is a delicate situation, I do have a lot to think about.

Thanks again....

I would agree with Spanker that 300-500 grafts could be enough to help soften your hairline. However, I do believe your best approach is to see one of the recommended surgeons here in person. They'll be able to get a much better idea of what your options are by being able to see your donor supply as well as what your hairline actually looks like in person (as opposed to photos). Given that you said that it looks much different in person than in pictures makes it even more difficult to get a good idea of what you should do. I think that's perhaps why people are being hesitant to comment, as no one wants to steer you in the wrong direction.

Based on the photos, however, I will say that you look to be in pretty good shape, and I would be surprised if this wasn't somewhat of a relatively easy fix. Start doing some research on surgeons on this forum, and see which ones spark your interest. Then look into setting up a consultation with them and formulating a game plan.

Best of luck.

Thanks pkipling.

I just wanted a rough estimate as to what it would take to soften a hairline. I thought it would go way above 2k of which I would not be able to cover donor wise. And therefore if that were the case I would save myself the trouble and just call it a day.

I'm actually surprised at the +- 500 number, and will in fact start to consider another procedure.

Thanks again....

Edited by Torn