A lot depends on a lot of factors, I suppose. With FUE, there is no scar like there is in FUT. But if you need another procedure down the line and you already had an FUE, the graft density for FUT will be a little less because of the grafts picked in first surgery. If you do FUT first, there is always an option to go for FUE for second procedure. But if you need less grafts right now, and your hairfall is stable then why bother with a scar, FUE would be great.

So, in my opinion, it all depends on your planning for future procedures after this one along with the number of grafts you need right now. As you are norwood 2A, somewhere around 1500-2000 would be your target, for which I would have chosen FUE if I had the option. Some senior guy please correct me if I am wrong anywhere above.

This website is a gold mine for your research, as I found in my case. You can pick surgeons of your liking, see his/her work to check if it suits your needs and can plan a consultation. Check out the list of recommended surgeons in here.

HT with Dr Radha - 30th June 2015

Total grafts: 3168 (1's: 930, 2's: 2090, 3's: 148 )

Total hair: 5554

Pre-op pics

My regime:

1mg Finpecia daily

Multivitamin tablet daily

Cod liver oil capsule twice a day

Minoxidil 5% solution (1ml) once a day

Nizoral Shampoo 1% (once a week)

My doctor doesn't recommend or do FUE because you lose too many hairs in your limited donor supply. You might be a NW2 now but you might be a NW6 10 years from now and you can't afford to be throwing away tons of your hair like is done in FUE. My doctor was/is Dr. Paul McAndrews.

With FUE you aren't throwing away hair. You have those hairs growing in your recipient area just as you would with FUT. If you have FUE it just means that any future FUT strip has fewer grafts within it - but not drastically fewer.

As always, family history of hair loss and treatment use/success are factors to consider.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

My doctor doesn't recommend or do FUE because you lose too many hairs in your limited donor supply. You might be a NW2 now but you might be a NW6 10 years from now and you can't afford to be throwing away tons of your hair like is done in FUE. My doctor was/is Dr. Paul McAndrews.

I think everyone, their dog and their wife know your doc is Paul McAndrews. ;)

Dude, nowdays FUE ratio of transplanted grown hairs is very very high, practically there is no difference to FUT.

If you go to a top FUE doctor, of course.

You speak about an unknown doctor who probably prefers FUT because it is much easier for the doctor, but much dangerous for the patient, because of the scar. Never mind that a bad doctor may screw it up even with FUT.

So be aware!

I personally wouldn;t choose FUT in 2015, it seems like an almost barbaric procedure, to literally cut out a big a portion of your scalp.

I wouldn't do it, or if i would do it, i won;t go with an unknow doctor.

FUT with an unknown is a recipe for disaster.

Edited by dreamermerlin

Ryan,

I just posted a response on another topic to Goozer that I thought would help you, so I am posting it below here.

---

goozer,

Welcome to our forum community. If you use the "search" feature of this forum, you will find various answers. FUT or strip surgery versus FUE is a hot topic and heavily debated on this forum by patients and physicians alike. The simplest of answers is that FUT or strip generally produces more viable grafts for transplanting than FUE. This is because grafts harvested via the FUE technique are removed or extracted by feel and experience, not by sight. This is what's referred to as "blind dissection". Grafts harvested by FUE undergo several forces that strip grafts do not including traction, torsion and compression. You can read more about this by visiting the Hair Loss Q&A Blog article "Will FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction) Ever Fully Replace Strip (FUSS) in the Future?" That said, many expert FUE practitioners such as those hair restoration surgeons recommended by our community have developed the skills and experience to harvest viable grafts with minimal transection and in many cases, growth yield is equal to strip. Thus, physician selection is also vital in ensuring a successful result.

I encourage you to take your time and research this community. I think you will find the members here very helpful but do keep in mind that while everyone has an opinion, you shouldn't always take the information you read here as facts. Always follow up with your own research and question everything :-).

Best wishes,

Bill

• 2 weeks later...