Blonde hair transplants

Hey guys (and I guess there might be some girls here too?)

I'm on a huge downer about my hairloss at the moment, it's been basically shedding and thinning for over 4 years now (im 25) and my family and doctors have always discouraged me taking action (it was apparently all in my head). Not the case. I'm NW4, recently confirmed by some smug dermatologist (well you should have handled it sooner). Really pissed at everything just now.

HT is the only way I can see a positive outcome here, but even then I am becoming really disheartened with some of the results I have seen posted of transplants with blonde hair. I know to be realistic and set achievable expectations, but I'm really worried that blonde HTs just look so unsuccessful. As a young blonde guy, this is really upsetting.

So i'm turning to the community - anyone out there have blonde hair and HT experience? Or can anyone show me some good blonde HT's? Am I right in perceiving there to be a discrepancy in outcome of HTs on blonde guys?

Cheers for your input

Hi gbhscott. First off ...love the avatar. Hilarious.

Wait a minute....that's me. take it down now! :D

Seriously, as a dishwater blonde myself, I had no real concerns about the color - although us blondies do seen to have finer/thinner hair, so that is a consideration in the the overall plan. And that is also key - your ultimate plan. Many surgeons feel that light brown/blonde hair actually is ideal or easier to deal with as the closer in tone to the skin under, it can blend better. Just imagine a white/tan scalp and jet black hair. Ouch...

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Glad you like it - thought it would be good as a reminder to everyone that even with hair, we can look ridiculous...

What do you mean by a consideration in the overall plan? If I were to be considering a HT, what would I need to consider? Would really appreciate any advice1

What do you mean by a consideration in the overall plan? If I were to be considering a HT, what would I need to consider? Would really appreciate any advice1

If you are a confirmed NW4 at 25, where do you think it will end? I would advise you look at some maintenance products immediately (Propecia, Minoxidil) and gauge their effectiveness on your hair loss. Only when you feel your baldness has sufficiently slowed it's progression, can you realistically plan your next step. Suppose you were to get a HT today and regain yourself to a NW1, but the progress of your native hairs accelerated? Hair color won't matter much then!

The hair color won't make a difference, you just want to be sure you select a good competent talented doctor...:)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

The hair color won't make a difference, you just want to be sure you select a good competent talented doctor...:)

I couldn't agree more, Gillenator.

I was just saying that the blonde hair won't make much difference except that blondes have more fun....

Hmm okay, I guess I just haven't seen any good transplants on blonde guys. I'm kind of hoping to go back to the kind of surfer hairstyle I had a couple years ago (albeit the malnourished version) but hav never seen that done following HT. A good surgeon is definitely my main concern - i'm in europe and have a few in mind. Thinking mainly of going to Turkey with Dr Karadeniz at AEK or Dr Civas. I know over in the states there is more choice of great quality but it's just too costly to fly over.

I currently don't take Fin as I am terrified of the sides, but I know the risks that might pose for getting a HT then having further shedding. I'm half thinking of going for a 3500 graft session, hoping it can get me through the next ten years or so by which stage, SURELY they will have a cure for this?!?!?! That or i'll be married with kinds and just not care any more....

Here's my hair.

It is hard to see but I do have blond fine hair. Of course, being 65 I opted for an age appropriate hairline - but I also plan to get a 2nd procedure next year and address the midscalp and crown and finish the hairline. Blond/grey hair didn't make a diff in the procedure.

5b32e6f5c1103_oneyear.jpg.dd85dc9dbbfa18d229b05b7687a96719.jpg

Hi, could you explain what it is exactly about blond hair that you feel makes the transplants unsuccessful? Is it just the lack of successful transplants that you've seen online where the guys are blond?

Think about it rationally, of course, the colour should have no effect on the success. If you go for consultations with surgeons, they can examine you properly and tell you before you make a decision if they feel your hair has the right characteristics to make a transplant successful.

Also, I'd rethink your views on finasteride. If you're not prepared to take it, I wouldn't bother getting a transplant. The side effects are very rare. In my opinion, finasteride should always be your first call, and it really does work. Most people see their hair loss stop (although few experience new growth). Good luck and keep people updated. You'll find a lot of users here very friendly, helpful and knowledgable.

Hi, could you explain what it is exactly about blond hair that you feel makes the transplants unsuccessful? Is it just the lack of successful transplants that you've seen online where the guys are blond?

Thanks for the reply - It's more the awareness that blonde hair is generally finer combined with the lack of successful transplants i've seen online. Deductive reasoning leads me to assume that the result i'm hoping for isn't realistic based on that, even if I have seen some HT's in different hair colours which truly do look exactly like what i'm hoping for.

I think dismissing getting a HT if i'm not willing to take Fin is a bit extreme... a lot of guys on here have had HTs without anti androgens with good results. I understand hairloss can progress of course, but for that reason, I would start with an FUT and ensure I had enough donor hair left for future procedures. I'm 25, still have a lot ahead of me in terms of kids, partners etc, and I just really don't want to risk messing up my hormones. Despite how safe Merck claims it to be, evidence suggests side effects are much more prevalent than first though (this was actually in the news this week where I am, funnily enough) If there are alternatives to fin, I would definitely consider them though...thinking S5 or topical spiro, saw palmetto etc.

I'm constantly amazed at what can be done, even with young people with advanced hair loss.

Check this guy out.

I've no affiliations with the surgeon or clinic, but found this researching. it gives anyone hope. The transformation is amazing.

http://www.transplantacja-wlosow.pl/en/gallery/male-hair-restoration/patient-dl-2/

Cheers Dolph..funnily enough I was in contact with Dr Saifi already concerning a HT and got a very good feeling about him! That is a great result, and the best I have seen on a blond guy for sure. Thanks for posting it! Very encouraging!