Dr. Alan Feller- Hair Transplant Primer for Newbies

It occurred to me that most people still have no idea as to even the basics of hair transplantation. So here is a very short video that introduces modern hair restoration. Enjoy:

Dr. Feller

Great Neck, NY

FUT, FUE, mFUE

Edited by Blake_Bloxham

I saw the you you tube video and i thought it was an excellent approach to inform new patients who don't really understand what goes on during a hair transplant By the way the picture you posted was incredible the guy looks great . I'm sure he's one happy guy. I would like to see the photos on the open hair loss site and if you can put up more before and afters so I can see someone who has a similar hair loss to mine. If I come that good I'll be over the moon

Doc,

Was going to drop you a few pics in an email if that's ok? Wanted to get your opinion of bringing my 2 scars together and a bit of a touch up in the process.

Thanks

Hair Transplant Dr Feller Oct 2011

Hair Transplant Dr Lorenzo June 2014

Wwizz,

I'll include an mFUE one as well. That's a good idea, too.

I won't create separate topic threads, but rather edit them into the first post I made on this topic so you don't have to search for them.

Remember, these are just primer videos. I'm trying to exclude surgical pictures that may frighten the uninitiated. But I will make more videos with real world surgical photos and video as well for those who don't mind watching such a thing.

Dr. Feller

Great Neck, NY

Sparky,

I've always wrestled with how much surgery to show publicly but usual decide to show more than less. Availability of surgical information is pretty wide spread thanks to the internet so most people are becoming desensitized. However, I still think showing the strip portion may be a bit much. Showing the area with the surgical staples or stitches is fair play though.

I just looked at your profile page and see you had multiple strip procedures that didn't work out. I"m sorry to read that. It is all too common. When you started you rarely saw a procedure that even reached a 1000 grafts in one procedure, so they did you piecemeal. Each time you surgically go back into an area it gets more and more "insulted" and more and more scarred.

I didn't see your results, though. Did you post them? I'd like to see how it looks after all that work if you feel so inclined.

Thank you for joining the topic.

I did post them before but as I am quite disheartened about what happened to me I took them down.

I was only just past an NW1 when I had my first bad HT by 'Dr' Norton in the UK, then had three more at Wellsbourne. The grafts that did grow are at terrible angles and the scar is messy with stitch marks. The scar doesn't go all the way round my head, it's about 13cm long, they took them all from the same place with poor technique.

I have had fue into it, a lot, and I could maybe cut to 20mm without it showing now, although the stitch marks are still there! however I think that fue first was the wrong choice and that a revision should of been attempted first although it is a bit low, just touching the underside of the occipital bump.

I will try to compile some pictures to send to you if you would like to see them.

Hi Sparky,

I get where you are coming from by pulling the photos.

A donor scar on the lower side of the occipital bump is correctly placed, so don't worry about that. It's when it's WAY below the bump, essentially on the neck that the problems really begin.

Most scar revisions (the process where it is cut out and pulled together again and stitched) rarely works out well so I wouldn't be to disappointed with yourself opting for FUE into scar. Problem with scar is that it is poorly vascularized and so FUE grafts, or any grafts for that matter, tend not to grow well.

You may want to look into SMP to darken it. That should help a lot...IF IT IS DONE RIGHT!!!

Hi Sparky,

A donor scar on the lower side of the occipital bump is correctly placed, so don't worry about that. It's when it's WAY below the bump, essentially on the neck that the problems really begin.

Most scar revisions (the process where it is cut out and pulled together again and stitched) rarely works out well so I wouldn't be to disappointed with yourself opting for FUE into scar. Problem with scar is that it is poorly vascularized and so FUE grafts, or any grafts for that matter, tend not to grow well.

You may want to look into SMP to darken it. That should help a lot...IF IT IS DONE RIGHT!!!

Dr. Feller, any recommendations on where to go for SMP that gets done right?

Hi Sparky,

Thanks for the response, I will get some pics sent this week, been away this weekend so haven't had a chance yet.

Would really rather not have smp, but would probably prefer to shave down my entire head and fill in the problem areas with fue. My main problem is the terrible direction of hair in my receded temple area, even when it's longer it's still apparent to me, so hoping there's a way to blend them to the centre hair which is untransplanted, or remove the really chunky ones and hope that new correctly angled hair will hide it somewhat.

If you are based in NY then you should certainly consider consulting with 'HairThere' a veteran poster who runs a SMP clinic in NY called SMPlooks as he was trained by Milena Lardi and uses the temporary SMP technique which in my opinion if you are going to get SMP is the safest option. His direct email :smplooks@yahoo.com

I hope this helps.

Spex

Thank you Spex

Although I agree about not wanting to frighten people, they should know what a strip removed looks like before they commit themselves to it.

You're right. But I may not have gone through with it if I knew and I'm so happy that I had my surgery. I saw a hair transplant on a UK tv show the other day (Botox, boobs and bums or something) and was horrified at the strip section. So glad I didn't know what it's like before hand.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

I feel the opposite, I wish I hadd seen all the gory pics as it would of put me off and I wouldn't be in the situ I'm in now.

It's great that you are happy though, congrats. I hope to one day feel the same but think it's not meant to be.

Yeah, ultimately you're right. People should know exactly what it entails and what it looks like before they make the choice. You would have avoided a bad situation, I would have avoided a very good one. That's what makes it so tough, it's impossible to know how it's going to turn out.

I'm sorry it didn't work out for you. I hope it works out eventually, keep trying!

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

Enjoyed the video Dr. Feller. Great work. Thanks for sharing.

ps: Dr. Feller it looks like you've lost weight...if so congrats.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.