HT Scalp Numbness Survey

Hi All,

As a clinical researcher, I'm all about addressing questions with data whenever possible, and I'm hoping several of you might be willing to help me explore a question I've been pondering: How common is post-HT scalp numbness, and how long does it typically take to resolve? (I'm motivated by the fact that I'm nearly 4 months post-HT, and I still have considerable numbness.)

If you have a few seconds to spare, please pass along the following data about your HT:

1) Using a 10-point scale (where 0 = no numbness at all and 10 = the entire affected scalp is completely numb), please rate the degree of your post-HT scalp numbness immediately after your procedure.

2) Using the same scale, please rate your numbness at 3-months post-HT.

3) Using the same scale, please rate your numbness at 6-months post-HT.

4) Using the same scale, please rate your numbness at 12-months post-HT.

5) How many months did it take for your scalp sensation to completely return to pre-HT levels?

6) Please give details of your procedure (FUT/FUE, #grafts, graft placement, etc.)

Also, if you've had more than 1 HT, please feel free to supply the above data for each one.

Many thanks in advance!

1) immediately after your procedure = 9

2) 3-months post-HT = 7

3) 6-months post-HT = 5

4) 12-months post-HT = 0

5) scalp sensation to completely return to pre-HT levels?

approximately 10 months

6) Please give details of your procedure (FUT/FUE, #grafts, graft placement, etc.)

Strip surgery, 2460 grafts along the hairline and temple regions.

(By the way, I'm female. Just thought I would let you know so I don't throw off your results. icon_smile.gif)

Sparse,

I'll be happy to take your survey. Since scalp numbness lasted the longest after my third procedure (even longer than my fourth one), my answers will be about number three.

1. 8

2. 7

3. 6

4. 2

5. I always felt that my scalp never turned 100% back to normal after the third procedure, but I'd give it 95%. Ironically, I'm 8 months after the 4th procedure and I'd say the feeling in my scalp has already returned to 95%.

6. 3700 grafts via FUT spread throughout the entire scalp

Since you are only 4 months out from your procedure, it's perfectly normal to be experiencing some numbness. More than likely, feeling will slowly come back over the next 6 months.

Best wishes,

Bill

1.immediately post op : 10

2. 3 months :7

3. 6 months :5

4. 12 months: 2 (surgery on Dec. 17th, 2008)

5. scalp sensations have not come back to pre HT levels (recipeint AND donor areas)

female strip surgery 1925 grafts - top of head

Dr Rahal

• Moderators

1) post-HT scalp numbness immediately after your procedure. 10

2) 3-months post-HT. 10

3) 6-months post-HT. 10

4) 12-months post-HT. 10

5) How many months did it take for your scalp sensation to completely return to pre-HT levels? 20 years and counting. Still nearly completely numb over entire recipient area and some numbness in parts of donor area. I would rate it an 8 now.

6) Please give details of your procedure (FUT/FUE, #grafts, graft placement, etc.) Graft sizes from 2 to 3 hairs up to 2.75 mm. I believe around 1400 grafts total.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

I would say that it took at least 10 years to get the sensation back in the area where the strips were taken.

Just a constant numb sensation. Sometimes it would itch and it was almost impossible to relieve it by scratching.

I would say I now have about 90% sensation back

1) immediately after your procedure = 8

2) at 3-months post-HT = 0

3) at 6-months post-HT = 0

4) at 12-months post-HT = 0

5) return to pre-HT levels = 3 weeks

6) 1st HT: Strip: 2,050 gfts // 2nd HT: Strip: 2,100 gfts (same scale for both HT procedures)