What Norwood scale and how many grafts needed?

First day back on Proscar after a 18 month gap, did use it for 13 years, will it be effective again after restarting? Going to combine with Dutasteride. Here are my issues, following so many transplants according to Dr Frechet I have 2 more max HT's left. So need to get it right. :(

Best options? Appreciate any advice and if any surgeons reading this their thoughts on the way forward please.

Donor.jpg.84795b4d1ea210f07655792a9b9f932e.jpg

5b32e62f0697f_Donor1.jpg.940c59d8fb690cdddf61c5f23b39bad3.jpg

5b32e62f1a15d_Donor2.jpg.8362eed5635a798b795f48566afa0018.jpg

NW 3-4. u need about 3000-3500 grafts to give the top of ur head density.

looks like u hav a poorly healed FUT scar. ull need FUE to repair the scar as well so ull need another 500 grafts or so for that. maybe more. how many times did ur scalp get cut?

Thanks for the replies. I've had 6 transplants and an extender. Presently growing a beard. My concern is lack of donor and no surgeon advising another transplant. That would be a real blow mentally and physically.

Hi Durhamboy,

Essentially after 6 surgeries then worth having personal consultations. You have fine hair so if considering beard then let it grow and send photos also to see if can be used in your case as a filler and if colour, coarseness are compatible with the scalp but after the amount you have had then wise to be seen in person and go from there.

All the best.

I represent Dr. Bisanga.

Dr. Christian Bisanga is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

You should really seek some in house consultations directly with several Doctors to assess your case. It is unsure how much the back of your scalp will yield much and you need hair to cover the scars. I think it would be a waste of scalp hair to fill them in at this stage. If they really bother you and you want to work a way of getting a shorter cut then beard hair might be the best option for you.

Hopefully the sides would yield some grafts if the scarring is not so bad here? It's difficult to tell from the photos. You say how many grafts needed? It might be more a case of what you have left. What bother you the most?

After so many surgeries you really need an experienced Doctor to give a verdict and they really need to see you in person.

Edited by Garageland

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

Can I ask about your previous surgeries? How many grafts did you have into which areas? His come you quit proscar, did it not work for you for 13 years? 6 surgeries is a ton and from your name I assume you're from England, so you must have spent a lot! Hope you get some good advice

You should really seek some in house consultations directly with several Doctors to assess your case. It is unsure how much the back of your scalp will yield much and you need hair to cover the scars. I think it would be a waste of scalp hair to fill them in at this stage. If they really bother you and you want to work a way of getting a shorter cut then beard hair might be the best option for you.

Hopefully the sides would yield some grafts if the scarring is not so bad here? It's difficult to tell from the photos. You say how many grafts needed? It might be more a case of what you have left. What bother you the most?

After so many surgeries you really need an experienced Doctor to give a verdict and they really need to see you in person.

Hi Garage

Yes the sides are much better, the back is not so good now. And that's the main concern really, a.) not having anymore surgery and b.) to lose the hair I do have which is transplanted hair. The butchers job Norton did in the 90s left terrible insertion holes which if I lose much more will be noticeable. Fortunately previous transplants have been able to cover this very well.

6 days of beard growth, early days on that front. Maybe they can do something here.

IMG_4946.jpg.823ee7f107d15e0e8927e62347a6e2f4.jpg

IMG_4947.jpg.acb0c2679e6a5677ecbda5d9f6df119d.jpg

IMG_4949.jpg.c5359da3341b73410f929ca1cd855e0a.jpg

Can I ask about your previous surgeries? How many grafts did you have into which areas? His come you quit proscar, did it not work for you for 13 years? 6 surgeries is a ton and from your name I assume you're from England, so you must have spent a lot! Hope you get some good advice

Unfortunately previous amounts and dates were stored on my old laptop and lost. I've had transplants in all areas, the Frechet Extender worked well by tightening the scalp, grafts were then inserted covering the scar. Surgeries between 2002-2005 worked well, last one in 2013 was not a success.

I stopped Proscar 18 months ago as Dr Frechet said it would no longer be effective after such a time. Restarted it yesterday with Dutasteride.

Seems like 1 or 2 of them Drs left you hang out to dry in the past.

If you want to go down the BHT look into Drs in europe & Asia they seem to be on top of there game.

Face / body hair can be very effective with the correct Dr who does this type of work.

Not all is lost but have a chat with several top Drs & better if you can have a one on one with them so tbey can have a really good look of what they can or can't do for you.

I wish you well.

You look like a NW4 but are probably a NW6 when accounting for those frechet procedures.

It certainly looks like a challenging case.

I'd suggest 800 FUE grafts to improve the hairline plus some test grafts in the scarring at the back. 200 maybe? Just to see if they grow.

I think what you need to attempt is to get to a position where you can cut your hair shorter.

I would have thought the likes of Lorenzo, Vories, Umar would be willing to give it a shot. I'd suggest Karadeniz as well since his price point is very good and is passionate about his work.

Agree with David (Garageland) that it is imperative you see a few doctors in person.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Thanks guys

Pretty desperate to squeeze one more HT and maintain that with Dut and Proscar. Emailed Dr Bhatti photos and a video and he's requested beard photos. Sent a pm to Dr Vories too. Matt as you say it appears a very challenging situation which I do hope one of the top docs is willing to take. I will look at the other ones you mentioned.

If anyone can fix it Dr. Bhatti can as he has a could track record.

Also it may be worth a call to Dr Umar who does a lot of BHT & just recently posted on this forum with a video on a huge BHT which was a crazy amount of face hair.

I believe HT has come a long long way ever since you did your first HT in the early 90s

I also think that even though a challenge for any Dr but fixable in your situation.

stick with your Meds.

Best wishes.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys

Quick update as not been on much lately. Went to see David and Dr Wong of Hasson and Wong last weekend. Enjoyed meeting them and they were very professional in their advice which was to cut out the 2 bad scars I have round the back and not to use beard hair to insert into the scars as it would be a waste of potential grafts for the future. They advised using the side of the head and optimistically could yield 1500 grafts FUT to thicken up the frontal/mid area of the head.

My concern and from feedback from other top surgeons was they would want to shave my head in order to do the work necessary which is something I'm loathed to do with bad scarring thanks to Dr Norton back in the 90s.

I've also got an appt with Dr Bisanga in London on 11th July so be interesting what his expert advice suggests.

Keeping up daily Dutasteride and 1.25mg of Proscar plus a daily vitamin D tablet. Will add vitamin B too.

Looking to get surgery from one of the top guys in September.

Will keep you all informed, thanks for the support and pm's. :)

Hi Durhamboy,

Your doing the right thing by speaking to some of the top guys out there to

Maybe fix your problem....well done.

Me on the other hand would be gun shy to have another FUT, why H&W can't try BHT

& some FUEs ? I Haven't a clue but there the pros & not me.

Maybe somebody else can chime in here to at least educate myself & others why BHT & FUE can not be used instead of another FUT scar....don't make sense to me.

Anyways i. Wish you well.