A ruined fue operation

We have implanter pens and have had several kinds over the years. They still have to be loaded so they still are manipulating the grafts. In addition they become dull. Dr. Cooley uses either custom blades or needles to make all sites, both FUE and FUT. And unlike what REV 333 said, he does have a part in the overseeing of the preparation and in actually participating in the implanting. In our clinic not everyone can implant, it is a highly skilled part of the process. Each step in prep is important from the removal of the strip or FUE, slivering if FUT, to creating natural follicles (intact units of 1's, 2's 3's and 4's) trimming excess tissue, Each is crucial to that end result. If the grafts are mishandled they can be damaged and impact final results but in the idea of natural results, how the incisions are created, how large the grafts and incisions are and the placement will all impact the end result. Please do your research.

Ailene Russell, NCMA

Clinical Supervisor for Dr. Jerry Cooley

Carolina Dermatology Haircenter

Charlotte, NC

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An update after 9 months. The yield rate is around %50 as expected. I still clean the hook shaped grafts manualy. I confirm that the grafts that were folded while planting had no growth. I will post a picture soon.

I am happy with the overall result. It looks natural and a huge upgrade to my previous look. However I am really sad with the fact that the result could actually be much better.

An update after 9 months. The yield rate is around %50 as expected. I still clean the hook shaped grafts manualy. I confirm that the grafts that were folded while planting had no growth. I will post a picture soon.

I am happy with the overall result. It looks natural and a huge upgrade to my previous look. However I am really sad with the fact that the result could actually be much better.

Sorry to hear that Walky and thanks for updating the thread .I suppose at least it wasn't a complete failure , so small mercies and all that .

It does highlight the dangers of the tech' clinics though .

Scar,

The problem is that we've seen instances where I fear this may have been the case here.

Technicians play an important role in the hair transplant procedure. No doubt about this. In fact, you can't do a procedure without them. However, I do not believe their role is unsupervised surgery. I think they should be part of a team that is led by a competent physician. I also believe the physician needs to take responsibility for hiring, training, and monitoring the performance of the technicians.

To me, this is ethical.

Dr. B - you are right on point with your statements, "...there is no physician input whatsoever. Technicians are in charge of everything from hairline design to post-op instructions..." My HT procedure is US actual proof of an unsupervised surgery. The doctor did not come into the room ANYTIME before, during or after my HT. AND - the tech who came into the room after the procedure had started, began working on my HT along with the senior tech had been at the facility less than a year. Conveniently, I was already sedated and therefore my ability to clear think was certainly foggy at best. The deception was real, unfortunately.

I have not mentioned the name of the facility where my surgery was performed, with what I believe is good reason. The mechanics/conditions of the HT is history and cannot be changed or altered in any way. What determines the future direction is the quality of the results. Understanding, that even the best result does not excuse the lack of integrity and deceptive practices of the facility, my goal from start to finish was to overcome my hair loss. If that is accomplished, my goal has been achieved.

With all that said, forums such as this is the BEST and perhaps the only tool a potential hair transplant recipient has to research and educate themselves in an effort to protect themselves from some of the very questionable HT facilities.

• 1 year later...

No I dont. But i can tell you even today if I get my hair cut 1-2 mm then the harvested area is easily noticeable.

I guess the yield is around 50-60% How do I know? I counted the hair in an area of 2 cm and compared with post op pics