Dr. Rahal - FUE 2532 grafts

zx_toth

Hey, thanks for posting about your procedure with Dr. Rahal.

I agree the placement of the grafts look like you will have some pretty amazing density! And I love the hairline design with the widow's peak. I will be having my FUE procedure with Dr. Rahal on Monday and am hoping he can design a somewhat similar looking hairline for me as well.

And it sounds like you had a great experience at the clinic and with Dr. Rahal and his staff, which is very encouraging to hear. It's reassuring to hear such great reviews and feel like I definitely made the right decision in choosing him for my transplant.

Thanks again for sharing. I'll definitely be following you for updates!

I hope you had a good day on Monday with your procedure. Glad I could be of some assistance.

Attached are some pictures from two weeks post op. Ill do some proper comparison pictures once my hair starts growing at 3 months. But for now these were just for some fun so no standard angles. The black and white pics were me just wondering what it would look like without the redness ruining the visual appeal of the hairline so I took them.

Scabs are out after washing my hair and some gentle massaging.

Have been using Rogaine since 14 days post op and I haven't had any reaction to it. Some say the recipient area may become very red but I haven't noticed that though the area remains red just from surgery, which will take time to lessen. I have noticed from 2 weeks post op to getting closer to 3 weeks the redness is down several shades.

5b32e5e43f51b_Photoon2015-04-22at11_08AM.jpg.e33f290107fd6ca416f70de833c31c71.jpg

5b32e5e459027_Photoon2015-04-22at11_14AM.jpg.33850de45a202a20dcfb793c3cad5d1c.jpg

5b32e5e4833b8_Photoon2015-04-22at11_11AM.jpg.9e12e8a2b1febb09ea560cb2a251a2f0.jpg

5b32e5e49a569_Photoon2015-04-22at11_09AM.jpg.6f94a7b4b70f492765c110089be45a46.jpg

Where you using Minoxidil before HT? If yes how many weeks before HT you stop using it

No I hadn't used minoxidil in the past. I had used finasteride about 10 years ago for 2 years with good results but was having some mild side effects and just wasn't a fan of taking a med daily. It seemed that at the timey hair loss bothered me a bit less after the results from propecia and I discontinued it ... Of course I would have lost the gains made from the medication but my obsession over my hair lessened for a few years.

This time around I am considering staying on the minoxidil and looking into topical finasteride as per available in Europe and prescribed by Hasson and Wong of Vancouver which is compounded at compounding pharmacies rather then more simple dispensing pharmacies. The systemic effects seem to be minimized from the topical application as per Dr Hasson, lower dose needed and results are comparable to oral. Just to clarify I hadn't talked to the Hasson and Wong clinic this is just from what I have read from what their clinic has anecdotally done and a blog reply that Dr. Hasson wrote.

http://hairlosscure2020.com/topical-finasteride/

Edited by zx_toth

Hey zx the two weeks post op is looking like a win so far! Good to see you sticking on Minox as well!

Are you wearing a hat or beanie when out? Good trick is to get your hands on a trucker mesh hat as they breathe really well for the scalp.

"The road to success is always under construction"

:cool: I represent Dr Rahal and the associated clinic as a paid patient advisor.

I am also here to assist fellow Australian/NZ Hair Loss sufferers both on and off the forum.

Hair Transplant Surgery:

June 3rd 2011

2800 Grafts to frontal 1/3

By Dr Rahal in Ottawa, Canada

Current Hair Loss Arsenal:

Dutas .5mg every day 1.5 years and Proscar 5mg (Cut into 1/4): x1 Daily 10 years

Hair-A-Gain Generic Minox: x2 Daily 13 years

(Applied wet in mornings)

Other Random products put to use during my hair loss battle (not in use):

Spiro Cream 5mg

Minox 15%

Dr Proctor's Nano Shampoo

Various Herbal supplements

Toppik/ Nanogen

Saw Palmetto

Provillus - LOL

Nanogen Shampoo

Laser Treatments (Epic Fail)

10 long years of HT and general HL research.:cool:

*I am not a medical professional, I only offer my own advice from personal experiences and years of detailed research*

• 3 weeks later...

It has been 5 weeks since my FUE with Dr. Rahal. Not much to report.

- 90% of my grafts have fallen out.

- I still continue to have redness in the recipient area which I loath. I use my wife's concealer and powder to take away 95% of the redness to the point people don't even notice redness.

- I have been using Dermmatch to thicken some areas so I don't look so bald, though I look terrible with short hair and significantly receded temples which I always hid before with longer hair.

- People I know have take double takes when they see me, which I hate because I know they are thinking 'whoah, I didn't know he was so receded ... and he is going bald'. I am keeping my chin up as much as possible. By that I mean I am trying to keep my spirit's up not physically elevating my chin to hide my hair ... haha.

- I wear a hat as much as possible ... which is all the time unless I am working in the emergency department where I can't wear it, though my colleagues see me so I am not enjoying my run ins with my colleagues because of my hair or lack there of .... oh well. I just have remind myself to keep confident as I always have and 'own this' ugly duckling state.

- I have some grafts which have remained, not fallen out and grown. I know this because they are hairs in areas I never had hair before and they have grown long. However for the most part because things look patchy I have shaved areas where there is not any density worthy of keeping these hairs.

No pics at the moment, will wait until there is something to see.

I should mention pimples .... 4-5 on the right temple area and 1 on the left temple ... man I hope they are a result of hairs ready to bust out because otherwise as a usually acne-free person they are really irritating/annoying. Great look eh? look of deep recession, shaved head and pimples .... luckily I am already in a relationship as I wouldn't be getting any dates anytime soon otherwise.

I should mention pimples .... 4-5 on the right temple area and 1 on the left temple ... man I hope they are a result of hairs ready to bust out because otherwise as a usually acne-free person they are really irritating/annoying. Great look eh? look of deep recession, shaved head and pimples .... luckily I am already in a relationship as I wouldn't be getting any dates anytime soon otherwise.

Happend to me for the first 4-5 months then it just all grows in and you will slowly stop obsessing over your hair. I am at over 8 months and I already barley pay attention to my hair other than putting rogaine in it twice a day and taking my morning slice of proscar

Hi zx, I'm glad you had a positive experience with Dr Rahal. Your hairline placement looks great and I'm sure you'll have a fantastic result.

I agree, it's best to just shave completely. A daunting idea for some people but in my opinion it's the best option. It keeps everything even.

All the best to you and I hope to see your updates!

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

• 4 weeks later...

Here are some pics from 9 weeks post op now, so a little more than 2 months. Ill post more frequently now as I just needed to stop obsessing so much about my hair and the first 2 months was hard where you are always hiding it and stressing about it. Now it doesnt bother me so much though I still put on some cover up/make up to hide the redness you see in the picture.

So some early growth, sprouting here and there. My left side is coming out faster than the right side. My Right side is the one that is more deeply recessed and 'uglier' so looking forward to this catching up.

As a side not I worked with a physician who OBVIOUSLY had FUE. He was a Norwood 6 and had an obvious wall of hair in the front placed with decreasing density behind which was quite sparse. It looked a little artificial but I didn't think to much of it. Then I saw that he had some strange artificial thinning areas in his donor which looked really odd/artifical. He was examining a patient and I was behind him so I leaned within 6 inches of his donor area and noticed he had obvious FUE scarring in the area where they had over harvested .... BUSTED.

Too bad they over harvested. His created hairline does give a sparse framing that is more aesthetically pleasing than without but I wonder what others not in the know about FUE think is odd looking about his hair.

5b32e6c6ed532_Photoon2015-06-18at12.47PM2.jpg.0af8bef66d52dfd7fdeb974dada59687.jpg

5b32e6c7242f1_Photoon2015-06-18at12.46PM3.jpg.3df03dda6ce0ee2523c55b7e4f46be23.jpg

5b32e6c73883c_Photoon2015-06-18at12.46PM2.jpg.c767887b4803ac3387a843a2cd06f943.jpg

5b32e6c8500ce_Photoon2015-06-18at12_46PM.jpg.beef49833c18307fd6944cd1dd4f687e.jpg

Hi zx, I'm glad you had a positive experience with Dr Rahal. Your hairline placement looks great and I'm sure you'll have a fantastic result.

I agree, it's best to just shave completely. A daunting idea for some people but in my opinion it's the best option. It keeps everything even.

Welcome back Matt, almost after two years!

I still remember how closely I was following your HT journey until month 4 or 6 you just disappeared!!

Guess you enjoying your new hair and look!

• 3 weeks later...

Everything right on track!

Few more months and then Boom!!!

Patience is true key!!

Good luck! Do keep us updated

Thanks guys! I am less than a week from 3 months now and will post pictures on the 3 month mark. I have actually stopped using coverup as I don't notice any significant redness and furthermore a sparse amount of grafts have covered any residual redness that may be there anyway. The hairline is really starting to take shape, to the point where when I look in the mirror that is the hairline I see ... not my old hairline.

Went out to the bar with two of my best friends 3 weeks ago and they were making fun of me for wearing a hat the whole time knowing that I have been receding over the past few years ... they haven't seen me since my HT procedure ... I quickly rebutted with my own insult slinging at them - one is going prematurely gray, the other is prematurely wrinkly, so I have my own material at them - along with reassurances that they don't need to worry about me as I was using everything at my disposal to create a miracle. They had no idea what I was talking about but continued to pick on me wearing the hat.

Went out a couple of times again with these bozos I call friends and applied Dermatch and it shut them up pretty quick. One of my friends was staring at my hairline either wondering 'where did his receded hairline go?' or 'What kind of paint do you have applied to your scalp?' ... thankfully I know him well enough that if he detected any faux hair/color he would be the first to announce it to the world so I am thinking it is the former. They won't see me until Christmas now so I will be at 6 months at that point and will be golden.

I have also gone without any Dermatch when in public and around people I don't know ... so I am becoming less and less conscious about the whole hair thing as time goes on ... its hard to put a price tag on that type of budding freedom.

Z

I had my FUE procedure with Dr. Rahal nearly 10 months ago now, and just met him in NYC for a follow up consult. I am so happy that I went with Dr. Rahal and his clinic. Like I told him, I only wish I had my procedure years earlier.

3 month update. I find it hard to take high quality images - of course my macbook air built in camera is the reason for the lower quality image - hopefully it shows the progression that I see in the mirror over the month. Though it is in person where you can appreciate the changes the most.

I am very much looking forward to month 4! because it seems some people are getting some really good progress at 4-6 months. I might be able to stop with Dermatch altogether if month 4 goes well.

Z

5b32e72b340ef_Photoon2015-07-08at4_53PM.jpg.1eb2c0ba856a802761c324fad2fb40e0.jpg

5b32e72b4800d_Photoon2015-07-08at4_57PM.jpg.f13047fe84226a5c70ddd7629ec600bb.jpg

5b32e72b5e834_Photoon2015-07-12at11.34AM2.jpg.f3b10fb7490d6990444a56a1baa895d8.jpg

5b32e72b6da29_Photoon2015-07-12at11.58AM3.jpg.b99ae682285a476247b2d087f1bfe15a.jpg

Month 2 to 3 direct comparison. I am pretty pleased with what I see ... month 2 definitely sucked for me in terms of self-confidence and worrying and hiding my hair. Month 3 is better because my hair all over is longer so I can hide things easier by pulling forward hairs from behind to give the illusion of density with the assistance of the Dermatch when needed.

5b32e72b7d632_ScreenShot2015-07-12at12_08_45PM.jpg.e3b879310b58b03c2aaf63a85ee5da00.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
you will see a noticeable difference in month 4 .. it only gets better from here..

Thanks ... looking forward to this.

I was with a medical school classmate of mine who is interested in practicing in cosmetic medicine on the side i.e. botox, fillers and so on. I had told her before my surgery that I was undergoing a hair transplant. I told her because we are pretty good friends as well as because I knew she would be very fascinated by my procedure. Long story short I saw her a week ago and she said that already at 3 months it looked quite good - the new hairs created a distinct hairline. Of course I was quite suspicious of her compliments saying 'I know it is still sparse but I am at only 3 months with 9 months left of growth'. I told her that I had from time to time used a product - Dermatch - to thicken the appearance up, had not used it that day but whether she thought I should use something to thicken it or whether it looked ok. She said it looked fine so I decided to give up using the Dermatch.

Although I know it still is sparse looking, to the 'non-critical' eye - which is an important clarification - they would not really notice anything 'weird' about my hairline. Yes if one was critical and looked they would notice the sparseness.

But I think I want the freedom to not have to do any daily colouring with Dermatch. One day I was really sweating from the heat and touched my hair ever so lightly and my fingers were covered in brown colouring ... that I can live without ... the rest of the day I was paranoid it was going to run down my face. It didn't but I was worried that I would look like a freak if it did.

Looking at the date today I see that it is exactly 3.5 months ... cool. Start a heavy rotation at school - general surgery - 100 hr work weeks ... so I will likely not even think about my hair for the entire month. Further my hair will be under a surgical cap for most of the month as well. Ill try to do updated pics at 4 months but it will be crazy busy so I might not be able to until 5 months. Will see.

Z

Its only 3 months and your hairline is looking good. Very excited to see what happens in next few months. Do update us.

Exciting times now......

Thanks Rawkerboi!

I thought I would add a picture of pre-op versus now. Because I see it on a daily basis and I needed a reminder as to where I started and thought I would share. It is hard to get the exact same level of forward leaning as in my pre-op picture but I tried the best I could. I also tried to use harsh lighting to make the hairline as see-through as possible ... so I had light above me and directly shining on me as well.

5b32e76d858c1_ScreenShot2015-07-25at9_20_52PM.jpg.cf435dc46bc1ac614a7ff8a5f84f3005.jpg