finasteride vs dutasteride

zyzz

• 2 weeks later...

I was on finasteride for 7 years and ive been off for 7 years now.

Regrets? Hard to tell.. glad I gave my body a break but will never know if it would be what it is today.

Anyway, I'm wondering the same thing... I almost feel like trying dutasteride just cause I never tried it... Im only starting to research it, but I found out about it thru someone's signature about the twins where one took it and the other didnt.

The numbers days dut works best to suppress dht and has slightly more sides. however, I've seen some guys on the board try it and it not do as well. If love to try it but I'm a little nervous to. Guess I'll wait it out and slowly adding it when the fin wears off.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I recall reading somewhere years ago that dut can cross the blood brain barrier which always put me off it. That aside, I'm not convinced that the potential of small gains (compared to fin) is worth the added risks from obliterating all the dht in my body. It is an extremely powerful drug that stays in your body for a long time and, correct me if I'm wrong, does not have the same long term safety profile as fin. For me the bottom line is this. Is the thing I am taking for my hair loss something I would feel comfortable taking for the rest of my life? For me, Fin and minox are both a yes. Dut, though, is a resounding no.

I see that some people take both..

For sample take EOD of Fin @ 1.25 a day & Dut 0.5 EOD

Is this effective? I've no idea but for me at this time I'm sticking with the Fin for a while more.

• 2 weeks later...

Both medications work in the same way, however Dut is considered to be more potent as it inhibits two types of enzymes: type 1 5α-reductase and type 2 5α-reductase while Fin inhibits only type 2 5α-reductase.

It is usually recommended to start with Fin, and to switch to Dut only if Fin is not effective for you.

My doc recommended i start at 1/4 tab per day but I have to say in my eagerness to get results, I'm tempted to go for 1/2 tab a day. Not to mention, sometimes the second cut makes 1/4 tabs seem a little less than they should be....

I had been on fin for around 10 years, and switch Over to Dut 3 months ago. I have been side effect free and even experienced a libido bump for what it's worth.

Have you noticed any improvement/regrowth or stabilization taking dut?

I take both. Dut lowered my shedding somewhat, and I wanted to keep as much hair on my head as possible.

Re: sides, dut definitely takes a certain edge off my sex drive. People talk about sides like a binary instead of the sliding scale that they are. You can have side effects that are very mild and tolerable, which is the case for me. I'd say that dut shaves about 20% off my libido, which, in practical terms, means I'm somewhat less horny and take somewhat more stimulation to achieve an erection. I haven't found that troublesome and it's more than worth the tradeoff for me. I experimented once and came off the dut, and the sex drive resurged easily and relatively quickly.

I did not notice an increase in shedding when I went on either drug.

It's probably redundant, BUT there is a study floating around out that there indicates that the results are somewhat better when the drugs are combined. It's mainly a cost issue; if you're willing to foot the bill for the finasteride on top of the dutasteride for the mere possibility of better results, go for it. I am.

Sorry I missed the above question.

Yes I noticed a significant decrease in shedding since starting Dut, but I also made some other changes to my regimen ie minox, keto shampoo every day, and I discontinued use of creatine. It's pure speculation on my part but I believe that creatine nuked my hair and brought on a big shed. It's quite possible that the introduction of Dut would be plenty to stop my shed/compensate for dht increase from creatine but the risk isn't worth the reward to me. Fin did serve me well for roughly 10 years for what it's worth