looking for opinions

I assume by not mentioning the doc, after several times it has been insinuated that he shares the name of a popular fashion designer, we can now safely conclude that it is indeed the work of said doc ?

If so, then you need not look very far for many other patients who have suffered the same fate as you -- yes, right here on this forum.

How long was the session where 3000 FUE grafts were extracted and implanted ?

You mention that this so called "top doc" has plenty of great outcomes in photos. Really ? Is that all that you needed to make your decision to choose him ? If so, then you did not do proper research at all IMO.

If it is indeed this doc there are PLENTY of red flags posted on this site (and others) to warn any potential new patient of the possible risks of his FUE megasessions. Just doing 1 or 2 searches in a 2 minute period would have brought up enough negative information to make anybody doing proper research stay far, far away !

Originally posted by labrat69:

I assume by not mentioning the doc, after several times it has been insinuated that he shares the name of a popular fashion designer, we can now safely conclude that it is indeed the work of said doc ?

If so, then you need not look very far for many other patients who have suffered the same fate as you -- yes, right here on this forum.

How long was the session where 3000 FUE grafts were extracted and implanted ?

You mention that this so called "top doc" has plenty of great outcomes in photos. Really ? Is that all that you needed to make your decision to choose him ? If so, then you did not do proper research at all IMO.

If it is indeed this doc there are PLENTY of red flags posted on this site (and others) to warn any potential new patient of the possible risks of his FUE megasessions. Just doing 1 or 2 searches in a 2 minute period would have brought up enough negative information to make anybody doing proper research stay far, far away !

easy man, no need to kick the guy when he's down. I'm no fan from what I've seen of Dr. Armani either, but I'm not sure why a couple of you guys are jumping to the conclusion it was him. Even if it was, it sounds like this poster is sincere so let's try to offer him some quality advice as opposed to criticizing his possible past mistake.

To be honest all I can say is it might get better as the hair matures. I haven't come across any desriptions of tar like hair, but if you do a search for frizzy, uncontrollable etc..I'm sure you'll find a lot of similar situations.

best of luck

I have seen the hairlines designed by your doctor. He sometimes uses varying angulation in the hairline.

If you let the hair grow out to length, it will probably help to straighten it.

Other than styling products or perms, your options are to have the offending hairs removed (FUE or laser), or maybe get another HT to help hide the problems.

YOu need to post pictures to get good advice.

Originally posted by newcomer:

And i did do a lot of research, i have seen only a couple bad results from the clinic and mostly good ones from what ive seen. And i havent seen ANY with these types of extremely kinky hair.

Use the search function in this forum and you'll find a lot of others that experienced weird angled transplanted hair.

Couldnt say if its permanant or not, but I only had a few, and when I see them, I pluck them out.

Dont start saying things like you wanna kill yourself, things can be fixed. I went through depression with my bad HT but I'm in the process of being repaired. My temples have still got totally mis-angled hairs, and now that my hair is short and spikey, they stand out like cats whiskers. I'm going to get my hairline sorted in April and I'm counting the days.

There is light at the end of the tunnel, please dont say things about killing yourself, its not worth that.

Brother,

First off, slow down for a moment and take a deep breath, and get your head together! There really is no such thing as a "high class clinic". There's only good ethical clinics that do great work, and clinics that do shabby work but spend alot of money on flashy advertising to make themselves appear "high class." In the end all that matters is RESULTS !!

The fact that you had 3000 FUE grafts both extracted and implanted in a 12-14 hour period is already a major concern. It's simply not humanly possible to extract AND implant that many grafts via FUE in that short period of a time without compromising the quality of the work. And you are not the first person that Dr. A has done this to. Just type in Armani in the search engine on this site and you will immediately see a bunch of threads pop up from patients that have had horrible outcomes from these FUE megasessions. Two names immediately come to mind: Balboa and Chanyouzhe.

At 9 months post-op are you seeing what appears to be close to a full yield of 3000 grafts grown out ? Or does the yield seem alot less than 100% ?

If the yield seems low then that is probably a good indicator of damaged grafts. If the grafts are damaged then they may still produce hairs, but those hairs will be of poor quality and would probably look weird like you are describing.

I've had a few zig zag hairs, in fact I have one now from a FUE surgery 5 months ago.

In my experience they do relax and straighten after a few hair growth cycles. It may take a couple of years but they usually will normalise.

However, the colour won't change.

• Moderators

Kinky, wiry hair is normal after a HT. Some people seem to get it more than others. It will slowly go back to normal in 18 months to 2 years after the HT.

As for the color difference, could your hair in the donor area be a slightly different color than native hair at the hairline? Some people's hair isn't always the same color throughout. Perhaps yours slowly changes to a darker color as you go back, so it's not noticeable. But taking hair from the back and putting it in front might show the change easier. Also perhaps you see it more than others because you know where the transplanted hair is. Anyway, you can always color your hair to make it all the same color.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

The hair at the back of the head will have thicker shafts and hold more pigment (i think that makes sense). It's usually always coarser, thicker and darker than the thinner miniaturising hairline hairs.

I'm very sorry to hear that your transplant is not progressing as you would have hoped and I can only imagine being in your shoes. Hang in there.

Your hair should have pretty much the same characteristics (i.e. look and feel) as before they were extracted and transplanted. Even after two years post-op, I have a few hairs that are darker, thicker, kinky and wirey but I choose to pull those out since they don't cooperate like the rest of my hair and for me, that's an easy solution. In your case however, because you are saying the majority of your hair is like that, then that isn't really an option for you.

I highly doubt that the guard on your hair clippers are causing your hairs to become more kinky. In all likelihood, it has been caused by trauma to the follicles during the extraction process. From my understanding, I'd have to say for hairs that were not subject to significant "trauma", they do tend to be able to sort themselves out in time. In other words, they soften. At nine months, I would expect that your hair should be, for the most part, softened and more like your natural hair, but could still potentially need a bit more time.

Using a chemical relaxer may help with the kinks, but it won't change the coarse feel of your hair. Since you have such short hair, it may not be practical to use this kind of product...

If you are not satisfied with the current clinic and how they are responding to your inquiries (which it sounds like you are not), perhaps it would be worthwhile to consult with another hair transplant physisican, even if it is to simply assess the stage you are presently at with your procedure from 9 months ago.

I'm sorry I don't have much to offer in the way of advice.

Originally posted by shanti:

The hair at the back of the head will have thicker shafts and hold more pigment (i think that makes sense). It's usually always coarser, thicker and darker than the thinner miniaturising hairline hairs.

This is why I am very happy that my hair shaft diameter falls in the middle. It's not coarse, but it's not fine either. Coarser hair will provide more coverage, but at the hairline even today's best surgeons will admit that it's very challenging to recreate a hairline that looks natural -- some even say it can look "pluggy."

Actually, if I had coarse hair I think I would probably avoid getting a HT alltogether if I needed a hairline recreated.

Whereas the majority of the result should be visible by 12 months after hair transplant surgery, recent studies conducted by leading hair restoration physicians have shown that some growth can occur between 12 to 18 months. Additionally, hair does continue to soften and mature after the year marker.

The above is only FYI and isn't necessarily specific to "newcomer's" case. Hopefully however, with time, his hair will soften naturally.

Best wishes,

Bill

newcomer,

I have read that when follicles are partially damaged, that they can cause decrease in shaft diameter or kinks in the hair.

I know from watching my tranplanted hairs grow, there are some interesting things going on.

FOr instance, there are some hairs from the first HT that kept growing, but got radically thinner from the day of HT#2. You can see the hair is thick and then all of a sudden gets thin.

As far as kinks, I believe they will work themselves out over time as the follicles heal and adjust. If not you will be able to style around it.

Good luck.

newcomer,

You've gotten two pages of replies on this thread. Your last post didn't contain any questions, so I'm not sure what you're expecting.

There's only so much patient members of a discussion forum will be able to tell you. Thus, in my opinion, speak to your hair restoration physician or get a second opinion with another leading physician to garner their feedback.

Also, please watch the use of profanity on this forum as its in violation of our terms of use.

Best wishes,

Bill

Hi newcomer,

I am fairly new to this site and cannot give you any advice except, on a purely visual level, I do not think your hair looks that terrible based on the pictures you have supplied! I do see what you mean about the kinkier, coarser hairs, but please don't feel you're walking around with some hideous mutation sticking out of your head! I had a bit of difficulty seeing what you meant at first and I, like most people on here (yourself included), am hair obsessed at the moment!

I would, like Bill said, speak to a professional. It does look however like this hairs might just shed and gradually grow finer and better in quality.

I am only going by the photos so perhaps the situation is worse; I am just saying you sound very alarmed and I would keep things in perspective. You don't look like you have pubic hair on your head; the hairs are definitely different but don't appear hideous or to have taken over what looks to me as a really good head of hair!

I hope you figure out a solution but for your own sake take a breather and put this in perspective. I doubt few people will notice them and based on what I see I don't see any obvious and massive issues. I was expecting your entire head to look like wire wool!

Best of luck in finding out more information but in the meantime I hope you cheer up a bit and can stay encouraged. I am sure the problem is temporary or that, at least, you can get information and assistance for it.

Best Wishes!

newcomer - better, higher res images would certainly help us to evaluate and shed more light on the situation. But I agree with Bill, have you spoken to your doctor?

1662 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Spring 2006

1105 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Fall 2009

M&M Weblog