shaving vs non-shaving

Transection of existing hair has a higher possibility if you don't shave. They typically don't place as many grafts in an existing area too because of the difficulty getting them in there.

When I talked to Dr. Shapiro about my upcoming procedure, he said he could leave the area that was about 10 FU/CM2 unshaven but he didn't feel comfortable working in an area 30 FU/CM2.

Jotronic sometimes posts the ultimate manifesto on why "to shave"; it's floating around in a few threads, and was written by Hasson, I believe. Not sure where it is, but prolly findable and maybe if Jotronic sees this thread he can post the link if he has it readily available.

Many doctors don't shave, however, in fact I'd say most who are "reccomended" do not.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

hair_care,

I've posted this on another thread in the past, but here's my point of view for your reference:

--------

There are varying opinions on the topic.

In my opinion, I believe there is a time when shaving is necessary, and almost critical. However, these cases are reserved for transplanting hair in between and around an abundant supply of natural hair.

Because paralel (sagital) incisions make sliding in between and around existing natural hair easier, surgeons who regularly use sagital rather than perpendicular (coronal / lateral) incisions may be able to get away without shaving.

Some physicians will religiously shave because they believe it provides an optimal working environment and promotes better hair growth yield while minimizing shock loss. Others won't shave and believe they can produce results on-par with surgeons who do shave. Surgeons who don't shave the recpient area when transplanting hair in between or around existing natural hair typically take a longer time to complete the surgery, but believe it does not negatively impact hair growth yield or facilitate shock loss.

There are a number of threads on this topic. Feel free to use the "find" feature to search for them. I'm sure others will chime in with their point of view as well.

Best wishes,

Bill

This is always my favorite topic, I myself having done both can say that I saw no difference whatsover between the two...The biggerst difference I can say is post op recovery, cosmetic wise that is, shaving will have you looking like a strawbery for quite some time, it will almost be impossible to hide the redness, and looking in the mirror will just increase anxiety...I firmly beleive that surgeons who perform surgeries of 4000, 5000, 6000, grafts and charge a resonable price, can not do those surgeries without shaving, it would take a full 24 hrs to perform, but then again, if you need that many grafts there's probably not much to shave anyways....Another quite disturbing comment made by a few posters is that shaving is required when there's an abundance of hair, to avoid transection, if there's an "abundance" of existing hair, what the hell do you need a HT for!

Just a thought from the peanut gallery....

if there's an "abundance" of existing hair, what the hell do you need a HT for!

Well it's called thickening thinning areas. And I am happy I did the 1100 grafts money well spent imo. Got rid of the toppik in 2003. And have my hairloss in check for now at age 46. I had small procedures without shaving and it was a failure earlier. Just wanted to make the odds better this time around.

Originally posted by hair_care:

What is the advantage over shaving the recipent area versus not shaving. Also who are the doctors who do not shave the recipent area when doing a HT?

If a doctor pre-makes the incisions, it makes sense that shaving the recipient area would allow faster placement and it would be easier to make sure that every "hole gets filled." If there is an abundance of natural hair in an area, it is too early to do a hair transplant there. I think Bill probably meant that he feels that shaving is important when there is obvious thinning but still a significant amount of natural hair.

At CHTC, when we use a stick-and-place technique, there is not much advantage to shaving the area. We know that the incision will be filled with a graft right after it is made. Shaving might make things a little faster for us but our patients would lose more of their natural camouflage. I therefore don't ask any patient to shave their recipient area.

Whether the recipient area is shaved or not, it is critical to follow the natural angle and direction of the existing hair to avoid transection.

Cam Simmons MD ABHRS

Seager Medical Group,

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Dr. Cam Simmons is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I believe Shapiro doesn't require shaving if it's under 3k grafts. also, cooley doesn't require it and i have seen some of alexander's non-shaved work.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Originally posted by Sparky:

Im quite happy to be shaved, I want the best result in the long run.

That is the point. You don't have to shave your head to get the best results. Look at photos from centres that don't shave patients' heads and judge for yourself. If you can get the best results and not lose your natural camouflage in the process wouldn't that be better?

Cam Simmons MD ABHRS

Seager Medical Group,

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Dr. Cam Simmons is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I'll wear a hat, I'm self employed, no one can question why I'm wearing a hat. I'd prefer to shave then I can see that all of the hairs are going in the right direction and that there havent been any bits missed out, I want to go short after my HT's.

Great topic...

To me, Hair transplant is more of a long term thing... I dont mind shaving if surgeon thinks he works best in that environment, in fact after reading this thread, i am more likely to shave the recipient area myself or at the very least keep it very short even if the surgeon doesnt care.

Such things shouldnt make patients pick one surgeon over the other... but sadly enough, it might.. and hence the pressure on surgeons.

Disclaimer: I am not a qualified medical professional nor do i work for any doctor, hence these are my personal and honest views. Hopefully I will benefit someone as I had benefitted from this awesome forum.

My HT blog - 2600 - Dr. Feller: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/PD/blog/68/

photo album: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/PD/albums/135