Please help!!!!

It's been 4 months since my hairline/frontal transplant... So I went to the beach on Saturday and I was under the sun the WHOLE day... I didn't realise my scalp was redish till I got home! I thought I was fine because my dr told me not to have direct sun exposure for the first 2 months! Will I be fine?? Please help! :confused:

Your grafts should be fine after 2 months. However if you still have post of redness a sunburn will not help your skin's recovery. I believe that's the main reason doctors advise you to avoid exposure after a HT.

Regardless of your grafts you should ALWAYS avoid sunburns as they can lead to skin cancer.

After having two transplants I feel that I could write a book on the "Do and Don'ts" following a hair transplant and I just might . . .

This one is a pet peeve of mine because I felt that I wasn't adequately warned of avoiding a sunburn . . . then when I rec'd a minor sunburn (really not a sunburn at all, just pink/redness after about an hour of exposure) I called my doctor and his staff seemed panicky about it - it's not a good thing

I can tell you that 6-9 months removed from my "sunburn" my results are good and I think we all agree my grafts and growth were not adversely affected

Someone here said avoid the exposure either way - that's good advice - we all should be covering up in the sun

I read somewhere about a gentleman who went on a fishing boat, in the direct sun all day, blisters, major sunburn, and he was only days removed from the actual procedure and his doctor wrote that he was largely OK

If the graft areas are discolored that may be indicative of something - I didn't have that, nor did I have blisters or peeling

But I rubbed aloe vera all over my head afterwards and my doctor's team told me not to do that [?] so I didn't do it again

I think the takeaway is that the sunburn would have to be pretty bad to have negative impact

I'm writing under a pseudonym to conceal my identity - I'm not a doctor however, everything I'm writing is strictly anecdotal

Also spray-on sunscreen can be applied to one's scalp for "hat haters" at least consider that option

Still, when in the sun wear a hat! It's good for hair and health - I'll write more as time permits because I really want to share my experiences with this fascinating subject - my experiences have been wondrous - Ciao - FK

Your grafts should be fine after 2 months. However if you still have post of redness a sunburn will not help your skin's recovery. I believe that's the main reason doctors advise you to avoid exposure after a HT.

Regardless of your grafts you should ALWAYS avoid sunburns as they can lead to skin cancer.

My scalp around my transplanted area was normal before I went to the beach ... I'm just curious will it effect the growth??? Or will it just change the scalp colour?

Some clinics chop the top of the graft off on the cuttig board. All the epidermal layers must be gone. I don't know why they do this, but it results in skin cells that have never seen the light of day suddenly exposed in the most vulnerable ways to UV. I think that is why the docs warn us, but they don't wanna sew the seeds of panic about skin cancer among us - neurotic and suspicious aswe already are. I suspect the grafts themselves, once seated, are pretty robust. Speaking as the expert (not) as always.

Edited by scar5
insert never