Dr. Hasson vs Dr. shapiro

I do not want to go into debate over who is better..

I've narrowed my list down to these two folks. So I've been reviewing their work.

I noticed that DR. Hasson makes the incision way higher on his patients vs any other Dr. Is there a reason for the such high incision?

Originally posted by TC17:

To get more grafts. In order to get the number of grafts that H&W get, they have to take longer and wider strips.

Look at total hair counts. I have seen some docs average around 15% 1's. H&W seems to average around 25-30% 1's. This may be very good for naturalness, but makes apples/apples comparisons difficult.

That is what I meant, Severn. By going higher towards the temples, they are able to get a longer strip. The longer the strip, the more grafts are available.

About a year ago there was a big brouhaha on this forum about whether H&W was splitting grafts to inflate their graft count, and PGP was insistent that they were. He based that upon the fact that H&W do seem to get far more 1's than other clinics. That fact is hardly dispositive, but it may be going on, I really don't know. Regardless, even if it is, it cannot be disputed that H&W are still getting more grafts and hairs than other clinics, and the results look good.

Now, the question of whether the strips should be taken so high and wide is another discussion, but only time will give us a definitive answer.

Regarding the percentage of singles in our procedures vs. other clinics, I have come up with some numbers that may surprise some of you.

Of the 48 results posted that are visible on the first page of the clinical results section, as of this writing, 18 have listed hair counts including the total number of singles that were used. Of the 18, the percentages varied from 8% to as high as 50% for singles placed into the recipient area. One of these cases was an FUE procedure with the singles measuring at 22%. When all 18 results with hair counts were averaged the total came out to be 24% which is in line with what The Emperor said Hasson & Wong will average. THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE. I even took the liberty of averaging out the hair counts of one particular clinic that is VERY popular and their average single hair count for the past ten patients they shared was also, coincidentally, 24%.

We have been documenting hair counts and giving them out to anyone that wishes to have them since we started conforming to what the small minority has asked for. This started a while ago and shortly all of our results will be posted with the hair counts. This is a dead issue people and there can be no argument or "speculation" about how we do what we do. Period.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I did extensive research and looked at over a dozen top coalition doctors. In the end I narrowed it down to Dr. Hasson and Dr. Shapiro. I was leaning towards Dr. Shapiro because I liked the appearance of his hairlines a bit better. Then I took two friends to both doctor's websites and had them look at their results. I did not tell then which direction I was leaning and both selected Dr. Shapiro. Either doctor will give you the best results possible but my personal preference was Dr. Shapiro's hairlines. He is an amazing guy as well (not that Dr. Hasson is not but I've never met him). Good luck with whatever you decide.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

Dr. Epstein August 4, 2008

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

364 three and four hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

Dr. Ron Shapiro November 18, 2009

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

Dr. Ron Shapiro July 1, 2011

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

Originally posted by sshaikh01:

I do not want to go into debate over who is better..

I've narrowed my list down to these two folks. So I've been reviewing their work.

I noticed that DR. Hasson makes the incision way higher on his patients vs any other Dr. Is there a reason for the such high incision?

Hi ss---are you referring to the position of the scar post-surgery in regards to where the scar ends near the temples?

Or, are you referring to the position of the scar in regards to height above the "bump" on the back of the head?

Aside from that, I am glad you are not engaging in a "whose better" debate. No doctor can possibly work on every patient and every patient cannot possibly like a single doctor.

A truly world class doctors' documented results, consistently satisfied patients, and commitment to furthering the field of hair restoration is self-sustaining.

I encourage you to continue to ask as many questions as you like, until you are comfortable with your choice.

Take Care,

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

sorry about the confusion..

My original question was, referring to the height of the incision on the side... I notice H&W go way higher compared to others. By sides i mean above the ears..

Other can hiding the scar any other advantages?

• 2 weeks later...

sshaikh01,

We don't always go so high as you may have seen in some of our patients. When we do go higher it is because the best hair is higher up and we have determined that these area are safe to go into. It is as simple as that but I'd also like to point out that the percentage of "higher" scars is, I would wager, significantly smaller than the percentage of our patients that have lower donor scars.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Originally posted by Jotronic:

When we do go higher it is because the best hair is higher up and we have determined that these area are safe to go into.

I'm not trying to stir the pot, but I'd honestly like to know how you can determine that it's safe to go higher on one patient versus another.

Megatron, they probably take into account the patient's age, level of baldness and family history to determine if the area they cut into has a risk of being bald. If they deem it reasonably safe they will make that move (IMO).

Although I had my procedure done at SMG, I heartily defend H&W's work and decisions. They have so many close-up HD pics and videos that even a hardened critic can't deny their level of excellence.

My choices were narrowed down between Dr. Wong and Dr. Ron Shapiro as well. I rated both's work at near perfection of 99/100. So my final decision was almost a coin toss. Since they were both essentially tied in quality, I went with SMG for smaller almost insignficant reasons like they were in the States instead of across the border. However, if I would have required one of the large megasessions I would have gone H&W because that is one of their specialties.

Going "higher" on a patient is an approach taken after a proper assessment by the doctor.

Additionally, the doctor should feel that chances of the sides dropping and subsequently exposing the resulting scar is minimal at best.

The patient should be informed of the risk and potential.

If there is any hesitation, then just do not take the strip as high. Sometimes you can go a little wider and not as long.

It comes down to proper communication between doctor and patient...and proper function of the doctor who must be able to explain to a patient why he or she is not a candidate for going so high.

It is not an exact science simply because one cannot forecast future loss.

Take Care,

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

I'm not trying to stir the pot, but I'd honestly like to know how you can determine that it's safe to go higher on one patient versus another.

To go along with what Severn and Jason already said, keep in mind that Hasson and Wong (and any other quality clinic) always discuss the risks of deviating slightly from the norm. I happen to be an example of one whose scar extends near and around the temples - an area outside of the universal safe zone. However, given my family history and no signs of miniaturization, I gave Dr. Hasson the permission to harvest a longer strip in order to get more grafts. There is a possible risk depending on how hair loss progresses for me, but I was willing to take it given the above and that I haven't lost any additional natural hair since I've been on Propecia.

I hope this helps.

Bill