1322 Total: ARTAS (mostly) + Manual FUE (Dr. Yates, Chicago)

pidda

So far I can give you guys the one day post OP results. Their office has a lot more pictures like pre-op and the times I visited before. The whole staff there seem pretty nice and friendly. As far as I know, the punch size for the ARTAS and manual are both 0.9mm. I am hoping for nice scars. I been on finasteride since feb 2012. I been on dutasteride since september 2012. I been on RU58841 50mg per day since October 2013. I use Nizoral one or two percent whenever I shower.

pic2.jpg.2c624a5b37c707802c80d3d42b1fd4d9.jpg

pic3.jpg.d40bc8b92a1e058ce8fe827214c300aa.jpg

pic4.jpg.3a47cb7815b215451525a44439c299f4.jpg

pic5.jpg.75aeaccfb74313cce41634173a4f7f51.jpg

pic6.jpg.4a42a389032e5d5a6bba65875c1f0711.jpg

Dark blonde. I got darker as I got older.

Interesting. The reason I asked is that Artas' FDA filing designate its intended use for brown or black straight hair. Reference Source Document: http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/cdrh_docs/pdf10/K103428.pdf

How would you categorize your yield and hairline quality with this machine?

Interesting. The reason I asked is that Artas' FDA filing designate its intended use for brown or black straight hair. Reference Source Document: http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/cdrh_docs/pdf10/K103428.pdf

How would you categorize your yield and hairline quality with this machine?

I remember somebody saying during the surgery (maybe the doctor) saying that I might need to get my hair dyed for the procedure. After I got shaved, I think it was determined that it was unnecessary for my particular case.

• 2 months later...

Three months post op. Maybe my life isn't too eventful but this has been the most stressful three months I ever had in my life. While I don't mind having a 0.9mm punch used on me, I'm not sure if the artas robot has an advantage over doctors that preform manual fue in 0.7-0.9mm punch sizes with consistently great results without transecting. Not sure if the one-size-fits all approach is the best. Not sure if I'd ever be interested in using up anymore donor in the future as it put a bigger dent in it than I thought. I didn't do the math or did any research plus I didn't put much thought into my decision while having price and convenience as a factor. A week prior to agreeing to the surgery, I didn't seriously have the thought of doing a surgery at all. On a positive note, the recipient area looks great without any cobble-stoning or ridging so far. I am hoping the donor will fill up more, I had severe shockloss in the donor and recipient area that mostly recovered after 3-4 weeks.

P2090203.jpg.4da0066e7ede99db0d37f2cdea4b9d02.jpg

P2090204.jpg.782b5ede4941e4452794bd330811aeef.jpg

P2090205.jpg.18c8d28e29c28f2f8766e40231885fb2.jpg

i hope ARTAS gives you good growth. You are the very few patients that had some ARTAS and are actually sharing your experiences on forums. There are some forum celebrities that are today pushing ARTAS as the future of restoration, including some doctors that have invested, or have vested financial interests in the machine. Some of those with vested interests may be holding their own research studies to advocate its efficiency. I think most folks can agree, no machine can replace or perfect the art of human intelligence + skill

However, three months is early. You can make a better pass/fail judgement by the 9 month mark. You may have a great outcome.

Wish you the best Pidda. Keep an eye on this and do post your 12 month growth in order to evaluate yield and success

Thanks for updating pidda. Your results on recipient should grown in soon, exciting. Do you have a current update of your 3 month donor status? Thanks.

Proud to be a representative of world elite hair transplant surgeon Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic.

Hairtransplantelite.com

YouTube

Online consultations: damian@bhrclinic.com

I shaved to a #1 about two weeks ago. These are January 26th photos. I think there might be some shockloss that is yet to be resolved? I think at this point, I can't get away shaving shorter than #2, while #3 is on the safe side. If the donor doesn't change then I'm done with messing with transplants for good. Looks different in pictures compared to real life, hard to explain. Maybe I need a better camera?

P1260187.jpg.72f7cb2a489146ff40f5f748c504c262.jpg

P1260188.jpg.b2f4b6f630d3e67665f4157532ef1332.jpg

P1260194.jpg.7bce932c256164ace627b1bb583b4ab7.jpg

• 1 month later...
Any reason they went so high for extractions?

That had me Miffed also seems like he went a smidge passed the safe zone there.

Thought it would of been better to harvest more on the sides IMHO.

But I'm no Dr & Dr Yates is a well respected HT guy who's last several yrs been marketing the Artis.

I feel your a bit down hearted but this is the hardest time for you & any HT guys at 3 &4 mths post op & time just goes at a snails pace.

Best keep your self busy , hit the gym or somthing I'm sure you be just fine & come 6/8 mths time you feel a lot better.

I wish you well with a full recovery.

That had me Miffed also seems like he went a smidge passed the safe zone there.

Thought it would of been better to harvest more on the sides IMHO.

But I'm no Dr & Dr Yates is a well respected HT guy who's last several yrs been marketing the Artis.

I feel your a bit down hearted but this is the hardest time for you & any HT guys at 3 &4 mths post op & time just goes at a snails pace.

Best keep your self busy , hit the gym or somthing I'm sure you be just fine & come 6/8 mths time you feel a lot better.

I wish you well with a full recovery.

Thanks. Yeah, Dr. Yates seems like a good guy, I just felt my decision was a little hasty as I didn't think I was able to handle the first three months properly. I been exercising a lot and have a personal trainer now. I can understand the concern for grafts taken out of the traditional safe zone, but I actually feel neutral about it, maybe there was a good reason for it?

Doing Yes there must be a valid reason but I'm kinda miffed why he never harvest more on the sides rather than go so high above the safe zone , again. Dr yates knows what he is doing I'm sure.

Just try to relax stressful times esp first 4 mths but I guess you be fine.

I see this last 2/3 yrs you have tossed everything inc the kitchen sink into your hairloss so let me ask you if you don't mind why did you jump on Dut just several mths after your Fin? Was fin not working as fast/ effective as you wish & felt that Dut will speed up things for you?

Anyways kudos to you in doing everything possible at your hairloss battle at such a young age.

Again I wish you a full recovery I'm sure you be fine.

Doing Yes there must be a valid reason but I'm kinda miffed why he never harvest more on the sides rather than go so high above the safe zone , again. Dr yates knows what he is doing I'm sure.

Just try to relax stressful times esp first 4 mths but I guess you be fine.

I see this last 2/3 yrs you have tossed everything inc the kitchen sink into your hairloss so let me ask you if you don't mind why did you jump on Dut just several mths after your Fin? Was fin not working as fast/ effective as you wish & felt that Dut will speed up things for you?

Anyways kudos to you in doing everything possible at your hairloss battle at such a young age.

Again I wish you a full recovery I'm sure you be fine.

I was hoping dutasteride would give me regrowth but it mostly caused me to shed a hell of a lot more than finasteride, maybe with some mild regrowth. RU58841 was something I added just for the hell of it because some people claim hairloss is also caused by testosterone and RU58841 supposedly blocks DHT & T from reaching the follicle locally instead of internally. Some people use RU58841 alone with decent success so it seems.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

5.5 months post op fresh #2 electric razor shave. Finally got someone to help me take pictures. EDIT: My electric razor does not represent the traditional #2 (1/4th inch) correctly, this is much closer or is exactly a #1 guard setting (1/8th inch). The shockloss in the donor area recovered very nicely and I am content with the way it looks now.

5.5_1.jpg.c9e0aae3bb28744ee82563ad4b419ea3.jpg

5.5_2.jpg.b2faa505b3c6d5ac9b69241f21791eb1.jpg

5.5_3.jpg.e53d1a155108337328938319ee8dac61.jpg

5.5_4.jpg.ab3dcc4514b1b945958f20da8fd33f75.jpg

Edited by pidda

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I don't have a happy story to tell you guys... I regret getting this procedure done. I feel as if the hairline design of it being really straight and having a very visible density difference with my natural hair beneath doesn't look natural to me. I think this could have maybe worked if the hairline was more "U" shaped. I also believe that the robot has significantly lower yield than compared to a manual punch. Plus I believe I notice some hypopigmentation scarring in the donor that probably wouldn't be there if an actual 0.9mm manual punch was used instead since the robot isn't a true 0.9mm punch since it also uses a 1.2mm one (yikes!). I really wish the clinic talked me out of this as I would have been a much happier camper without any surgery. If I was aware that the ARTAS robot is only FDA approved for straight brown hair, I wouldn't have even done this kind of procedure as my hair color is not brown. I suppose the life lesson here is that the research isn't going to be spoon fed to you. For anybody that is even seriously considering the ARTAS robot for a transplant, I highly recommend reading a thread on a forum (use a search engine) made by topccat29 regarding robotic FUE.

001_small.JPG.9f3696389a7364e5bfff5ee2ce60c083.JPG

002_small.JPG.7c117f1d9a4742473525c53bcf46b129.JPG

003_small.JPG.bb0dca2a1ac04323feb062b5d9ad6717.JPG

004_small.JPG.fe3d6e9103f0049109b99eeb6666c1e9.JPG

007_small.JPG.b6f42dacf02a6dc7a3e94545c4e507fb.JPG

009_small.JPG.fd3aaae519d72932876643075e6e7f9c.JPG

010_small.JPG.491d07ec86453c481d96101186891c56.JPG

011_small.JPG.df1c481f9f3128ef9ab8efdf1168bbf1.JPG