Advice needed.

Tigerkat

Totally untrue,

"Totally untrue"?

Here's a report from a fledgling little media outlet called . . . ABC News. http://abcnews.go.com/Health/baldness-drug-propecia-long-lasting-possibly-permanent-sexual/story?id=16758123

Merck itself has abandoned its previous claim that side effects always abate after discontinuing the drug, and there's a deluge of lawsuits in the offing.

Edited by Shadow of the EMpire State

At 24, if you are uncomfortable with meds, the best advice you could get is to stay away from transplantation and enjoy what you have while you have it. Your hair looks decent, but showing too much potential for high level loss without using finasteride. That's just my opinion, and you can always go for it, but I say embrace nature.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Tigerkat, if I were you I would do some in person consults with a few HT docs to get an accurate assessment and some advice on your options as others have suggested. In person they can do a density test of your donor area. I agree with the other posters not to rush into having a procedure and there is certainly no harm in waiting. But, I would want to get professional opinions early on to have a better idea what to expect.

5700 FUE in 3 procedures with Dr. Bisanga

View my patient website:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1874

"Totally untrue"?

Here's a report from a fledgling little media outlet called . . . ABC News. Baldness Drug Propecia May Have Long-Lasting, Possibly Permanent Sexual Side Effects - ABC News

Merck itself has abandoned its previous claim that side effects always abate after discontinuing the drug, and there's a deluge of lawsuits in the offing.

I could post double blinded placebo controlled studies that show you're wrong, but I'd rather not feed the troll.

OP - take a look at my signature.

I absolutely agree with KO.

Fin is the main weapon to fight against Hairloss.

sure until u lose ur sex drive which is a common side effect. mine shut down in 2 weeks and was then shooting blanks....:rolleyes: same thing happen to my buddy after I warned him to steer clear of it but he said he read how those studies and they were fake and that he read there were ZERO sexual side effects. lol yea ok!

so myself and the one friend I have that also took fin experienced the exact same side effects but the studies and thousands of complaints are all false right and ppl are making it up? gimmi a break. what does someone have to gain by stating they experienced sexual side effects. everyone who takes it prays to god it works for them but it doesn't.

I'm sure it does for thousands but it also doesn't for thousands!

this isn't somthn I read on the internet. this is somthn I experienced PERSONALLY and watched a close friend experience the same!

and some have reported it taking up to a year to get their sex drive back and some report they have never gotten back. toxic chit imo!

^If you got sides, then you should not take the drug, simple, however it is not the common experience of patients taking fin and since this guy has not even tried the drug, fin is still the first place to start treating hair loss. He can always get off if side effects are present.

^If you got sides, then you should not take the drug, simple, however it is not the common experience of patients taking fin and since this guy has not even tried the drug, fin is still the first place to start treating hair loss. He can always get off if side effects are present.
agreed. I wud certainly giv it a shot. works for many.

but many ppl say there simply is no sexual side effects and that cud not be further from the truth for many who have tried it.

the other issue is some don't experience the side effects till they are on it for quite some time. the effects are gradual. those are the ppl that seem to have experienced the long term side effects. so again, its still a gamble but if I had never used it I wud likely give it a shot but ppl shud be aware of the possible consequences.

Again, there's an increasing amount of evidence to suggest that discontinuing the medication will not always fix the problem.
I think for most it wud if the side effects came on earlier enough but yes ur right for others that have been on it for quite some time they seem to have a more difficult time and some are left with permanent sexual side effects.

the percentage of ppl with sexual side effects are much higher then most want to admit. those that have never had sexual side effects from it will say "no one has sexual side effects and the studies are BS" easy for someone who hasn't experienced the side effects to say that but the fact remains that many do. thats a FACT not an opinion.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all.

I have been rapidly loosing hair over the past couple months and im starting to consider my options. Its getting to the point that keeping my hair long to cover up the recession looks silly. I am considering fue with low density to create a hairline and frame the face and then keep a buzzcut grade 1. Surely this would be a better option than waiting yrs down the line? I am 25 next month if that helps.

I am someone who knows will have to shave his head soon so what would you recomend? Do i try my best with a procedure or there no hope and shave it all off?

Hi all.

I have been rapidly loosing hair over the past couple months and im starting to consider my options. Its getting to the point that keeping my hair long to cover up the recession looks silly. I am considering fue with low density to create a hairline and frame the face and then keep a buzzcut grade 1. Surely this would be a better option than waiting yrs down the line? I am 25 next month if that helps.

I am someone who knows will have to shave his head soon so what would you recomend? Do i try my best with a procedure or there no hope and shave it all off?

Doing a transplant at a young age without first stabilizing your hair loss is not a wise choice, in my opinion.

Doing a transplant at a young age without first stabilizing your hair loss is not a wise choice, in my opinion.

I agree with the quote above. It seems you are likely to lose quite a bit more hair as you age, but clearly losing your hair is weighing on you psychologically, as it does for most guys when they see it happening at a young age. If you are not comfortable with trying to stabilize your hair loss, or you don't think it will slow it down enough, and you therefore decide to proceed with a procedure, you should talk to several doctors and be prepared for the idea of at least one more procedure down the road. So that means you need to conserve donor hair in case you need another procedure in 5-10 years. Hair transplants are often not "one and done". You will keep losing native hair, hopefully at a slower pace. Conserving donor hair may mean starting with FUT to maximize donor population over the life of your procedures. It looks like you like to wear your hair fairly short, so if you go with FUT, make sure you select a doctor who is renown in the area of undetectable scars. A hair transplant is no place in your budget to try and save money, so just find the best surgeon/artist, do not worry about the cost too much. The best docs known to the public are in a similar range. Some of the Hollywood guys probably charge more, but you won't see them advertising their clientele, so it will be hard to see their prior work. There are a number of great docs this site recommends as part of the coalition.

I tried to stabilize my hair loss for 10+ years (using Minox) and meanwhile researched transplants the whole time. I finally lost hope in stabilizing or even slowing it down once the top and crown started to go rapidly in my late 30's. I had my 4000 graft procedure as a Norwood V just 18 days ago. I had to go FUT to get the most grafts in one session and also preserve grafts for the future. I was really past FUE possibility for session 1, but it may be available if I ever do a second. From everything I have researched, the most ideal time to do a transplant is late Norwood 3 stage: an FUE session of 2000-2500 grafts. Having surgery at this stage minimizes the ugly duckling stage of recovery and makes the whole thing pretty undetectable to most people, eliminates the line scar, allows you to wear hair very short in the future, and also preserves some grafts (usually 2500+) for future touch-up as the top and crown thin a little.

Just my thoughts after many years of research. Best of luck in your decisions!