Is BHT an option for young hair loss suffers

Hi all,

I'm 23 years old and probably sitting at a NW5. I am on meds, but they aren't exactly miracle pills. Realistically it is going to be a struggle to get sufficient coverage with an average donor area.

This is why I ask the question why not try BHT? The results I've seen are cosmetically good (also I'd be content with a buzz cut). I understand that there are some issues about transplanted body hair being rejected? I'd be willing to take that risk as I don't have many other options.

Any thoughts on BHT and particularly about the appropriateness of it for a young man at the higher end of norwood scale would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ratha,

Is BHT appropriate for a young hair loss sufferer with a high NW level? I'm tempted to simply say: no. However, I'll elaborate:

BHT, according to nearly all experts, is best suited for a few specific situations; adding midscalp density in FUE procedures, dire repair cases, and transplantation after the traditional donor supply is exhausted are a few good examples. Unfortunately, utilizing a lot of body hair on a young, fresh scalp is not.

I don't think the potential for poor yield ("rejection," as stated above) is the issue. I'm more concerned with the cosmetic appearance of the post-operative result. BHT may appear natural when grafts are camouflaged by a lot of scalp-derived follicular units. While these cases appear "natural," transplanting body grafts into otherwise bald scalp will not achieve the same result. The thicker, more coarse grafts will appear out of place and unnatural. Frankly, I don't think you would be happy with these results.

Have you undergone an evaluation with a trusted hair restoration physician? You may have enough scalp donor supply to achieve the "buzzed" look with FUE. Proceed cautiously! Feel free to ask any additional questions.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Thanks for your response.

I should add that BHT would be used in combination with head hair and it would be beard, nape hair. Also I would only intend on get these grafts placed in the crown area (and possible mid scalp).

You suggest that BHT is best suited for a few specific situations...after the traditional donor supply is exhausted. As a 23 y/d sitting at roughly NW5 I can pre-empt that I will exhaust my donor area...so why not turn to my vast resources of chest, kneck (and maybe chest) hairs.

My hope is to achieve complete coverage with a lower density fue. I want to rebuild the hairline with head hair...to frame my face..but also I want to cover the crown which is currently very thin....not a good look for a man in his young 20s...but HT docs refuse to touch the crown until the 30s and rightly so...that is why I'm thinking about BHT..

once again I am now used to the buzz cut look however I would like a stronger hair line and to cover the crown...

... just typed a big reply and accidentally deleted it ...

Using body hair grafts in combination with traditional scalp grafts is a better idea. However, if your donor supply is sparse - and it sounds like you think it may be - you could run into the same problem: visible body hair grafts. If you believe you will exhaust your donor region, you may not possess the number of grafts needed to properly camouflage the body hair units. If this occurs, you'll still be left with sparse coverage with harsh, coarse grafts.

Some believe nape hair retains characteristics similar to scalp follicles. In fact, some believe it is soft and natural enough to use in visible regions of the scalp. Others think the yield and characteristics of nape hair make it too unreliable.

Beard hair follicles are usually the most similar to the scalp. Like you said, these should likely be utilized before moving on to chest, leg, et cetera.

If you rebuild your macro and microhairline (ie frontal scalp) and add some coverage to the midscalp with scalp follicular units, you could possibly increase the density in the midscalp with body hair grafts. However, you are probably still running a risk of creating an unnatural appearance if the midscalp coverage with the traditional grafts is truly sparse. Also, this will probably look best "buzzed" with a 4-5 guard.

Rebuilding the crown with body hair grafts remains controversial. The crown is actually a fairly visible region of the scalp, and some probably view it as a bad spot for body hair grafts. I think most physicians would recommend rebuilding the midscalp and frontal scalp. Are you on any preventive medications? These may help you restore some density in these regions - vertex and midscalp - and broaden your options.

Look forward to your reply.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

In NW5 or even NW6 hair loss, donor areas are generally good and provide enough coverage. Can you show your donor areas?

HT surgeons generally use BH in patients who do not need BH, never use them in patients who really need them (for grade 7 or even more severe hair losses). Transplanted body hairs survive, but never resemble head hairs and since they have high turnover rates, it does not add more to the transplanted donor area hairs. Never a surgeon showed any result in which any particular area over the head was restorated by body hairs only. Because, their appearance may be so unnatural and weird.

Can you show one example of BHT with cosmetically good result (if so, it should be very rare exception). I will be glad to discuss and which tricks was used to show them good.

I have uploaded an album with photos showing hair loss to date. Please take a look. I'm pretty sure I'm heading towards a norwood 6 even though I'm on Propecia and using Rogaine. Hair loss has certainly affected my self esteem. I understand that it is important to consider the long term when planning hair transplants but I want to do something about this now. I am realistic, I know I will never have a full head of thick hair. However I do want to try and achieve full coverage. I'm fine with the buzz cut.

Ideally I would like to try to emulate this result:

Scalp & Beard

I think this is also a good strategy:

I have uploaded an album with photos showing hair loss to date. Please take a look. I'm pretty sure I'm heading towards a norwood 6 even though I'm on Propecia and using Rogaine. Hair loss has certainly affected my self esteem. I understand that it is important to consider the long term when planning hair transplants but I want to do something about this now. I am realistic, I know I will never have a full head of thick hair. However I do want to try and achieve full coverage. I'm fine with the buzz cut.

Scalp & Beard

I think this is also a good strategy:

Scalp & Beard

Ratha,

This case certainly approves my words. "HT surgeons generally use BH in patients who do not need BH, never use them for patients who really need them (for grade 7 or even more severe hair losses)"

The man here has moderate, grade 5, partial hair loss (he has many original hairs over transplanted area)

Pre-op pictures show the man with short haircut, post-ops long hair.

It is unclear where beard hairs put and if they add something more. The top area is still uncovered.

Any experienced FUT or FUE surgeon can obtain and transfer about 4000-5000 grafts just in one session and can obtain similar or even more coverage than this.

In summary no need for the beards for more density in that case.

So why using beards and 3 days of torturing surgery. We should know the pricing and then can decide if this economically benefits the patient or the physician?

And ask, Does this justify to operate on very sensitive skin of neck, violating its virginity. ( Google it : "Primum non necere" )

Edited by californian

Ratha,

You may have grade 6 (or maybe 7) hair loss and total baldness over the hair loss area which is more severe than the example you gave. I think a more logical plan for you would be as following:

First decide on the technique, FUT or FUE, get away from any surgeon who will suggest you BHT in the first session.

You are a candidate for at least 2 sessions of transplant regardless of the technique, regardless of the body hairs.

Then have one session of hair transplant with only scalp hairs.. Then see your result about 9 months later.

Then discuss with your surgeon, if you need more grafts from the beards in the 2nd session. Your surgeon if he/she is honest, will guide you through that.

The donor areas potential and the result will determine and justify the use of body hairs then.

Do not harm your neck area in the beginning. There is no candidate justifying body or beard hairs in the first session. You will always have a chance to use them, after understanding that you really need more.

If you are so realistic and have low expectations, just one session of transplant with scalp hairs may give enough results for you.

All you need is to find a good and honest surgeon. You can find many good surgeons but it is hard to find a honest one nowadays.

You can again watch the advertorial video you brought here, considering this fact. Ask yourself, if he (as a physician) has so many capabilities much more than the other coalition (real) surgeons of this community, why is he still so bald??

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at your posted photos, I am in a similar boat. At a Norwood 5, scalp donor hair is not sufficient to achieve coverage that I am looking for.

Were beard hair not an option for transplantation then I would understand the need for a much more conservative approach.

Combining BHT with FUE and a buzz cut, I am aiming to avoid what others have qualified with this approach, warning against a unnatural appearance. I think these people are coming from a place where they cannot imagine themselves going with a buzz cut and are visioning regular length hair growth and how it can go wrong with a bad mix.

A full head of dense long hair is not possible for those starting from NW5.

I am heading for my first HT this month. It will be interesting to see how this pans out. I have some hair fibers and dermatch that I will be trying out with the new hairline as well.

Hi all,

I'm 23 years old and probably sitting at a NW5. I am on meds, but they aren't exactly miracle pills. Realistically it is going to be a struggle to get sufficient coverage with an average donor area.

This is why I ask the question why not try BHT? The results I've seen are cosmetically good (also I'd be content with a buzz cut). I understand that there are some issues about transplanted body hair being rejected? I'd be willing to take that risk as I don't have many other options.

Any thoughts on BHT and particularly about the appropriateness of it for a young man at the higher end of norwood scale would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Can you show one example of BHT with cosmetically good result (if so, it should be very rare exception). I will be glad to discuss and which tricks was used to show them good.

no surgeon uses BH alone. its always used in conjunction with head hair so once again ur giving out bad and misleading information which you seem to do daily here.

plenty of top HT doctors have and still do utilize BH with a HT. u wudnt see it by itself cause its not used by itself so ur looking for an example to something that doesn't exist.

and here we go with the "Tricks" again. omg giv it a break wud ya smh

here are 3 examples and took me all over 5 minutes to find from just (1) doctor...... u shud really just stop posting altogether....:rolleyes:

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/176818-will-updated-dr-hakan-doganay-2545-2030-515-grafts-6-month-choi-implanter-pen-fue.html (500+ BH)

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/177006-dr-hakan-doganay-fixing-bad-hairtransplant-7058-grafts-choi-implanter-pen-fue.html (1800+ BH)

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/171807-dr-hakan-doganay-8384-grafts-6554-1830-fue.html (1800+ BH)

BHT is an option for any hair loss sufferer, it does not matter what your age is.

What does matter is that someone who has experience in harvesting these grafts and blending them with scalp hair is performing the work. It was only a few years ago that many doctors derided the use of beard hair (some still do) but that attitude is quickly changing. Why you ask? Because they have figured out how to harvest beard hair and are making money doing it.

Amazing how that can change ones outlook.

So, Dr. Hakan Doganay has suggested 2000 FUE + 2000 BHT (beard).

These 4000 grafts will spread at a low density across the entire balding NW6/7 region. I will need to maintain a buzz cut.

Do you guys think this could work/is a good idea? Bearing in mind I'm 23 and this is my first hair transplant.

I think this is my only option and could improve my look (which I'm currently dissatisfied with).

yea id go for it. beard hair can take a little longer to grow. not as long as body hair but not as fast as head hair. I'm sure 4000 grafts wud improve ur look. yea ur young but so what?

if ur a nw6/7 I really don't see u losing much more hair. ull be limited to how much coverage u can get but it will still look better then it does now and its not like ur gonna grow hair on ur own nor will u lose any more hair likely.

some ppl lose their hair very young and stabilize that loss by their mid 20's simply cause there isn't much more to lose. no different if u were in ur mid 40's or 50's and uve lost what ur gonna lose. some ppl just lose it faster.

So, Dr. Hakan Doganay has suggested 2000 FUE + 2000 BHT (beard).

These 4000 grafts will spread at a low density across the entire balding NW6/7 region. I will need to maintain a buzz cut.

Do you guys think this could work/is a good idea? Bearing in mind I'm 23 and this is my first hair transplant.

I think this is my only option and could improve my look (which I'm currently dissatisfied with).

Thanks for your response which is pretty much the same as my thinking.

it is miserable having advanced hair loss at 23. Even though this could be seen as drastic/ last resort measure I think I'm willing to take it.

I hope that my hair loss will begin to stabalise soon. I am on Propecia. It really just has been quite extreme in my early 20s. At least I can predict with some certainty that I will be a NW6/7.You can see from recent photos that the back of the crown is begining to drop which takes me into NW7 territory. I just hope I can maintain high sides..

Anyway, I think I have a decent donor area from beard (and even chest if need be). And the BHT results seem to be decent (better than being slick bald IMO). As I said before, I only intend on maintaing a buzz cut which I'd be quite happy with.

Hopefully 4000 grafts will give me a boost..

if u have chest hairs u can use why not use those too? might get you another 1000-1500 grafts.

Thanks for your response which is pretty much the same as my thinking.

it is miserable having advanced hair loss at 23. Even though this could be seen as drastic/ last resort measure I think I'm willing to take it.

I hope that my hair loss will begin to stabalise soon. I am on Propecia. It really just has been quite extreme in my early 20s. At least I can predict with some certainty that I will be a NW6/7.You can see from recent photos that the back of the crown is begining to drop which takes me into NW7 territory. I just hope I can maintain high sides..

Anyway, I think I have a decent donor area from beard (and even chest if need be). And the BHT results seem to be decent (better than being slick bald IMO). As I said before, I only intend on maintaing a buzz cut which I'd be quite happy with.

Hopefully 4000 grafts will give me a boost..

if u have chest hairs u can use why not use those too? might get you another 1000-1500 grafts.

Yeah I'm sure I could get a decent amount of grafts from chest. Dr Hakan Doganay doesn't use chest hairs though. Maybe in another 5 years I might rely on using them for another transplant!

Yeah I'm sure I could get a decent amount of grafts from chest. Dr Hakan Doganay doesn't use chest hairs though. Maybe in another 5 years I might rely on using them for another transplant!

• 8 months later...