My forehead already has noticeable swelling only 2nd day post op?

I keep reading that most people don't experience swelling until about the 5th or 6th day and that worries me. I just had my hair transplant 2 days ago and I'm already seeing swelling. I'm taking my Prednisone and all my other medications. I'm sleeping with 2 pillows to keep my head elevated during sleep. I'm regularly applying ice packs to my head.

I just hope that I'm not going to be one of the people who gets the extreme swelling around the nose, eyes, and cheeks, etc. The idea of my eyes being swollen shut is really creepy.

Can anyone on here give me any other possible suggestions or let me know what you think about such an early onset of swelling?

Hi NG

Not sure who your clinic is but this is totally normal, swelling usually comes more from day 2 onwards and will go mostly by day 5. If you have two days surgery then more injections and all that fluid comes down. Massage from the glabella the centre of the forehead outwards to help it drop. Apply ice for 5 minutes at a time and also keep upright as much as possible and drink plenty of fluid.

Don't be afraid it will drop and may effect the eyes also.

Heal well and relax as much as you can.

Steve

I represent Dr. Bisanga.

Dr. Christian Bisanga is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

Perfectly normal, nervous. Follow the suggestions above.

Relax now and spend your time reading all the posts in this forum about post-procedure timelines. You will find the answers to all your future questions.

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

just to keep in perspective swelling is not bad or good, its normal reaction to surgery. You dont need to take any meds for it either. Ice packs dont help much either, merely makes you arms tired.

Sorry for the offtopic, just stumbled upon this thread: As the forum seems to have some serious issues with lagging and bugging, I wonder if it`s in this relation that nervousguys` first post is shown to have been made after his second one?? How can this be? Normally the posting time gets fixed, and potential editing times get shown below the signature.

First post "08-07-2014, 12:04 AM"

Second post "08-07-2014, 10:52 AM"

Just to let the mods know, so Hans will know what kinda different issues there actually are.

@nervousguy: No need to be nervous, swelling is most strong on second, third and fourth day. All good :) Happy growing!

The swelling is still here and I'm 5th day post op, but it hasn't increased so I'm no longer worried at all about it. My next trial is numbness lol. I woke up just now and most of my head is numb and it feels like I'm wearing a tight helmet. I know that a lot of people experience numbness as well. I just hope I don't experience it for months.

Edited by nervousguy

Indeed the weight of the fluids gets pulled down from the scalp into the forehead area and the effects of gravity also pulls the fluid downward. We commonly call it the 3/3 rule. Three days post-op the swelling shows up and then lingers for another three days. That's very common.

The numbness is from the incisions which severs both blood vessels and nerves. The scalp is enriched with both.

The nerve endings do grow with time and you will eventually regain feeling in the area.

Sometimes the recipient area can be numb too but again it will dissipate with time.

Congrats on your recent procedure!

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY