If finasteride stabilises my hair loss, at 24 could I get a FUE?

Hello Guys

I'm currently 23 with a NW 2 pattern hairloss, with frontal thinning.

About 2 years ago I started noticing hairloss at my hairline, which worsened significantly after I (stupidly) did a steroid cycle.

I have been on Finasteride for 8 months and had a terrible shed that has hit my hairline significantly. I think my shedding is slowing down and my hair is thickening up everywhere except my hairline. The damage has already been done there.

What I'm thinking is if fin stabilises my hair loss and even improves it over the next 6 months, could I reasonably consider a conservative FUE to restore my hairline to a solid NW 2. Instead of a thin NW 2?

I'm thinking from my looking at other HT it could be done with 1500 grafts

Opinions?

mmm, well I think you have done the right thing by getting on to fin. You have a very good chance of keeping the hair you have now if you stick with it. The thing with fin is that it's really a lifelong commitment ( or until something better comes out ) I think you are best in giving it more time to see how you go, it may take more time for you to really tell how well fin is working for you. It's tempting when young to want your hairline back but thinking long term it's much better to get on meds, try and control the loss and then sit back and see what happens. Personally I'd give it a few more years and then see about going down a HT route.

wow.. im actually in the same boat as you. 23 now with a nw2, started noticing hairloss 2 years ago. did steroids last year along side fin, didnt notice anymore loss than i was progressively having. dad is only a nw3, so in theory i should stabilize soon.. do you have any pics?

if you want to cover up thinning areas, you could try concealers like toppik. works pretty well

wow.. im actually in the same boat as you. 23 now with a nw2, started noticing hairloss 2 years ago. did steroids last year along side fin, didnt notice anymore loss than i was progressively having. dad is only a nw3, so in theory i should stabilize soon.. do you have any pics?

if you want to cover up thinning areas, you could try concealers like toppik. works pretty well

Thanks for the replies. Na I don't have any pics sorry. 90% of my problem is my hairline and temples. Makes me look like my forehead has grown significantly.

I just wish I had of got on fin when I very first noticed my loss. Maybe I would have saved my NW1 hairline.

Here is a pic of my hairline. As you can see my temples and hairline have thinned and receded significantly.

Fin hasn't helped this yet at all. I doubt anything would lower my hairline except a HT

image.jpg.c314f2c9533f39eea2c8d4393ed2746d.jpg

Potentially yes you could provided you can find a Doctor that is satisfied that you are stable and not going to be heading for a high Norwood pattern. I don't see massive temple recession I see that as a normal shape hairline for an adult male but we all see ourselves differently.

I do however see thinning through the frontal hairline and temples if you can be stable for a year and you are not looking to lower the hairline just thicken it may be appropriate after examining your scalp and donor hair.I see no harm in consulting the clinics you are interested in at this stage for opinions.

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

There sure are examples of people getting FUE at your age. Check out Feriduni's work for example.

I'd have a good hard think about it first. There will likely be some family history of balding (e.g. uncles). Look at who has had the most similar progression and think how you might feel it you end up at that stage. Finasteride is not 100% guaranteed and you may still bump up the Norwood numbers over the next 20 years. Heaven forbid, you might even have to stop taking it for some reason. You WILL care about your hair when you're 30, and 40, and 50...probably even 60 and 70.

Obviously if you had those 1,500 grafts, so long as you know it is unlikely to be really high density (not with one surgery). It will probably be see-through especially when cut short.

The flip side is it would look nice and even as opposed to thinning.

Anyway, good luck.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Sorry that was left temple. Below is hairline

Dude you have so much hair :eek:

Should see how you go with medication for a start, i can barely make our any thinning in your hair line.

As far as doing a cycle I don't claim to be any expert but I doubt it was the contributor or any hair-loss because, lets say hypothetically it was a 12-14 week cycle, hair loss happens over a much longer period of time.

dont get tempted as you are going bald. If your hair is in going phase just stick to medication if it helps. Dont think of HT atleast till 30. By that time you will have a clear view of how much you have lost and how far approximately you will go bald . Though their is no scale exactly nor any technic to measure or foresee your future loss. My friend I will just try to adapt to what i have till 30 or till right time comes. Lot od advancement is on way just hang tight and sit back something will come ouy but no no strictly no to HT you are wayyyyyyyyyy toooooooooooo young for that

I agree with fueonly. Take meds - see what happens. The meds will usually eventually wear off and stop working and its very rare for hairloss to not continue. But you have a lot of hair so just leave it for now.

Another idea would be to ask forum members that had a HT at your age if they are happy with their decision 10 years down the track. My guess is pretty much no one will say yes.

I agree with fueonly. Take meds - see what happens. The meds will usually eventually wear off and stop working and its very rare for hairloss to not continue. But you have a lot of hair so just leave it for now.

Another idea would be to ask forum members that had a HT at your age if they are happy with their decision 10 years down the track. My guess is pretty much no one will say yes.