How many grafts do you guys think I would need

I wanted to know around how many grafts I would need. I've been on generic propecia for a month now, and i also use topical fin too. I am 23 years old. Also in the pic i have my dreadlocks pulled back into a rubber band. Would i have to cut my dreadlocks to have a transplant done, i am only loosing my hair in the front.

thanks

b_pic_1.thumb.jpg.c4195f97c2a9f211c70482af1fe7674a.jpg

Montrose02,

1. You need about 3000 grafts, but get a real professional opinion.

2. It is more efficient and some doctors prefer to work on a shorn (not to the skin) scalp.

3. Those doctors who allow, you to keep your hair are probably under the impression, that you have your hair combed and not dreadlocked, because they themselves will have to comb through the hair for implantation.

4. You are 23. You have to make sure your MPB has stabilised.

take care...

• 8 months later...

been on generic propecia for about 8 months. I take 1mg every other day. Also been using a homemade laser device. It seems that I have got some regrowth up front as compared to my earlier pics from a few months ago. Wanted to know if I should wait a little longer to get a procedure done. also the quality of the pic is not that good

new_pic.jpg.6d3215b5090430bc7a0de1ea28d037e8.jpg

Personally, I think you should add Minoxidil to your regime and reassess the situation in around a years time. Your fairly new to Propecia and believe that there may have been some regrowth. You should always give the meds a try first.

I think you may have to consider removing your dreads...from the photos it looks like some traction alopecia may have occurred in tandem with your natural loss.

I would be hesitant to recommend a HT based on your current hairstyle...perhaps if you shaved it off or cut your hair short, a nice appropriate hairline and frontal half can be rebuilt. Again, if you plan on putting your transplanted hair into dreads, you may just experience loss again.

As far as grafts go, anything 2500-3500 would seem to be fine, absent the factors I detailed above.

Take Care,

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

I got the design from overmachogrande. It has 70 lasers it in it. The cost is a lot cheaper than buying a device from lasermax(instead of paying 400 or 500 only I spent 140 on diodes and 50 for the supplies to build it). I have been using it for 2 months now, and I believe that it has helped somewhat.

Its kind of hard to explain what it does though, whenever I use it my scalp doesn't inch and the scalp just feels a lot better.

If you go to overmachogrande.com, you can learn more about it.

• 8 months later...

Wanted to post an updated picture, and get an estimate of how many grafts I would need? I changed my regime to generic duasteride and spectral dnc l, and it seems like I have gotten some slight regrowth. Also I'm only experience hair loss is the first half of my scalp and no where else.

Thanks for any input

5b32ca4e410d2_olderpic1.jpg.8de95eeabff1a03245ef31b45b2faa18.jpg

5b32ca4e52bfe_newerpic1.jpg.02f7bd59f903efacf53a199166d4fe9e.jpg

Edited by Montrose02

Montrose02,

Have you tried estimating the number of grafts with our hair loss learning center graft calculator? This could give you a good idea of where you stand and how to proceed. I hope this helps!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.