Final Questions Before 1st HT

I've been reading through hundreds of posts on this forum...Thanks to everyone, very informative.

I'm in the final decision phase of getting an HT done soon (recommended to get 2000-3000 graphs transplanted), and have consulted with the following doctors or their reps:

Gabel (Seattle)

Feriduni (Brussels)

Feller (New York)

Hasson and Wong (Canada)

Frank Manzanares (Philippines)

Konior (Chicago)

Julieta Peralta -Arambulo (Philippines)

Shapiro (no response)

So here are my questions:

1. I want to do this as discretely as possible, for personal reasons, which one is better for that, where I can return to work sooner? I am wavering between FUE and FUT, seems most docs say:

- FUT is 90% growth

don't have to shave head

cost is less than FUE

recovery time is greater for scar area (1 month)

- FUE is 60-70% growth

but have to shave head

cost is 2xs that of FUT

recovery time is shorter for donor area

2. I originally wanted to do FUE because of the discretion, but due to cost, procedure results, and location (I have to fly out to wherever I'm going to get the procedure done, so keep in mind that I would only be there for the procedure then have to fly back and take care - sutures, stitches, etc.... by myself when returning home), I am steering towards FUT. Closest to me is Dr. Gabel, or Hasson and Wong, which would be best?

Thanks all

Will-It

If you will it, they will come.

Hello, you seem to have done your home work well so get some of those names up. I'm coming up to 1 month post op & I can tell you that everyone is different- my scalp is not pink in any way but I I have a lot of shock loss. So bear that in mind when considering strip. You get past that by using a nanogen pencil which works well for me.

A lot of people talk about FUE with a lot of praise but they forget one important thing and that's the yield success which you mention in your post. FUT should give you more grafts that grow having looked at the two myself. What's impressive in the last couple of years is FUE has come a long way in terms of the grafts count that can be extracted over a day or two. A few years ago 3k FUE grafts was a small miracle, now more & more clinics seem to extract this high number.

FUE is a somewhat cheaper now than it was a couple of years ago I think. But in Europe it is still very expensive. 5-6 Euros a graft. In the UK it's like 5-6 GBP! In Turkey it's 2-3 Euros. But you want the best not the cheapest.

What's your hair loss like? Personally I would use up all the strip I can then go to FUE in years to come if need be. Leave some for the future when you may well need them!

Edited by Dutch

I do not know much about Dr. Gabel so I can't comment on him, but I will say my experience at Hasson/Wong was outstanding. Hasson/Wong have a very nice, upscale, clean office, and a deep staff of experienced technicians. The minute I walked into Hasson/Wong I just knew I had made the right decision. I will be returning to Hasson/Wong for a crown focused surgery sometime in the next year or so.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

If a doctor is only getting 60 to 70 percent yield with fue then ther skills are to blame. Drs lorenzo, bisanga, maras, erdogan, reddy, feriduni etc get yield as good as strip.

Thanks guys, very helpful replies.

I have been told in a consultation, that there is a risk with FUE, in that the curvature of the hair can be more easily determined with FUT, but with FUE because the hair is shaved down, there is a slight risk that the curvature is harder to determine, and when implanting, the curvature is very important.

This is a small risk, but still a risk to be aware of.

I think I'm about a Norwood 2 or 3, I can see temple and hairline recession and now some crown recession, you should be able to see this in my profile pics. Attached are some pics to give you an idea, I want to attack the problem sooner than later.

What is the better procedure for discretion and recovery time?

Thanks

Will-It

20140322_172729-smallest.jpg.7defb4daf7d274a3264cf6fd8269fc94.jpg

20140322_133316-block.jpg.d2e2a69853d668243c0293a5f5c0db95.jpg

20140322_133554-block.jpg.c7ea1adf2d91b2c56e87595f662c45ec.jpg

20140322_133620-blocked.jpg.dbff3cc8fdb48fcbc8b9958ae3c1a000.jpg

If you will it, they will come.

What is the better procedure for discretion and recovery time?

I would think without a doubt FUE has the quicker recovery time,

however even-though recovery time seems very important now,

it is really long term life-long results you are after. My plan is to

do FUT now and if I need "touchups" later I would go with FUE.

Both FUE & FUT have their pros/cons. However many times they

BOTH can be a part of a patient's long term plan.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

60%-70% yield seems low to me. What gives?

Paulygon is a former patient of Dr. Parsa Mohebi

My regimen includes:

HT #1 2710 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in 2012

Rogaine foam 2x daily, since 2012 (stopped ~10/2015)

Finasteride 1.25mg daily, since 2012 (stopped ~12/2015)

HT #2 3238 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in Jun. 2016

Started Rogaine and Propecia in July. 2016 after being off of them for about a year.

As good as FUE is right now or might be in the future, it will never be near the efficacy of FUT, FUT yield from top surgeons will be at least 95%. With FUE, even if the surgeon is exceptional and well trained, they will transect at lesat 10-15% of the grafts, remember they are punching blind. They are just guessing the direction of the direction of the hair follicles, the top FUE surgeons guess very very well. 60% is a poor yield so I plead with you not to consider FUE with your shortlist of surgeons if that's would they are gonna guarantee you.

IMO, I would recommend FUT for HT1 and/or HT2 and save the donor are for FUE for HT2/HT3.

I have been told in a consultation, that there is a risk with FUE, in that the curvature of the hair can be more easily determined with FUT, but with FUE because the hair is shaved down, there is a slight risk that the curvature is harder to determine, and when implanting, the curvature is very important.

I have never heard of this - 'curvature' of the hair. Anyone care to explain?

Also, from your pics, I'm surprised you need 2,000 - 3,000 grafts.

3,425 FUT grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Nov 2013

1,600 FUE grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Dec 2018

FUT yield from top surgeons will be at least 95%..

This is absolute fallacy. To claim that a top surgeon WILL get at least 95% yield?! Where did you come up with that statistic? Which surgeon stated this? What about all the failed procedure we see occasionally from the recommended surgeons here? So by going to a top surgeon, you are saying we are GUARANTEED to get a minimum of 95% yield? Well get this, I went to a top surgeon, and my yield was no where near that. So stop spreading obvious misinformation. Going to a top surgeon will increase your chances of a good to excellent result, but it certainly does not eradicate the chance of a failed one either and certainly does not guarantee at least 95% yield.

Apologies, I am meaning 95% graft not transected ie harvest yield. Growth yield is different. Growth success is an unknown factor it is impossible to guarantee that. You can reasonably guarantee low transection in FUT whereas FUE is much less. Thats a fact.

Btw mickey85.. less of your agro would be great.. just saying my friend.

Follicles do not all sit straight on the scalp. Some are straight, some have a curve. It's theses curved follicles which will be transected more often in FUE. However the straight follicles also have a risk of being transected as well. You have to remember that FUE is a blind method hence the lower yield rate.

FUT is only blind during the strip harvest stage. Transection during FUT by the top surgeons is minimal compared to FUE.

FUT doesnt suit everyone. Nor does FUE. Weight up the pros ans cons and consider what's best for your case.

But purely based of yield, FUT will always win. When it comes to recovery and scaring FUE has the trump card.

I've done a strip procedure and plan to have a 2nd FUT in 15-18 months. But at some stage I might do a small FUE procedure to fix up the FUT linear scar.

Apologies, I am meaning 95% graft not transected ie harvest yield. Growth yield is different. Growth success is an unknown factor it is impossible to guarantee that. You can reasonably guarantee low transection in FUT whereas FUE is much less. Thats a fact.

Btw mickey85.. less of your agro would be great.. just saying my friend.

Apologies, it's just when I see misinformation(whether it is intentional or not) I tend to be a bit passionate. When there is misinformation put out, often unsuspecting guys read it and often make decisions based solely on it. It really angers and saddens me when guys get unsuccessful results, I feel by presenting accurate information lessens the chance of disappointment and increases awareness and cultivates informed decision making. In this case, it is an innocent misunderstanding and I know you did not mean anything malicious by it. I do agree that actual transection via strip is lower than FUE. Maybe not 95% but I do agree it is easier to avoid.

Initially I was going to do FUE, but changed my mind to FUT when I realised that I may need more a viable donor area for future HTs. FUE will be my 3rd and last HT procedure in my HT plan.

How far are you into your HT? If you are at 3-4 months, its still gonna look bad. Most people don't get much growth until 6-9months. For me i'm on day 13 and it looks good no shedding yet, but at 2-3 months I could get a mega-shed, not looking forward to it if/when it happens.

Initially I was going to do FUE, but changed my mind to FUT when I realised that I may need more a viable donor area for future HTs. FUE will be my 3rd and last HT procedure in my HT plan.

How far are you into your HT? If you are at 3-4 months, its still gonna look bad. Most people don't get much growth until 6-9months. For me i'm on day 13 and it looks good no shedding yet, but at 2-3 months I could get a mega-shed, not looking forward to it if/when it happens.

I am several years post-operative :(

I'm sincerely disappointed for you. I'd wished you would've had better outcome. Hopefully you have a much better outcome in the future.

Thanks, I really appreciate it. Thankfully I still have a good donor area and my hair has not receded since the operation so I'm still in good shape. I have far more sympathy for the guys who underwent antiquated methods like scalp reductions, plugs, mini-grafts and those who have had their donors depleted via excessive strips and/or FUE. Hindsight can tell you alot of things that you should have done differently but hey, that's life. Thanks again for the kind words. I too wish you the best result :)