Is Propecia Dangerous??

lion2013

Can anyone tell me if doctors get a commission for prescribing Propecia? I have been hesitating to start on it, but Dr. Arocha says he hardly sees anyone suffering from side effects. I'm not worried about the side effects if they disappear once the drug has been discontinued. But what about the irreversible side effects I have been hearing about? Anyone had any negative experience with this drug? Please tell me, because I do not want to take something that would mess up my body. I would like honest opinions based on experience please!

Thanks!

I have read loads of reviews , and have read lawsuits , in NY 400 pending alone. I will not touch the drug that gives permanant damage to my manhood and now the latest is Postrate Cancer !! even FDA is probing on the cancer link. wait till further clarity

Lion,

No, physicians do not receive any sort of specific compensation or commission for prescribing the medication. The official studies report sexual side effects occurring in approximately 0.3-3% of individuals using the medication. They also state that these subside after stopping the drug. Other reviews disagree that believe the chances of experiencing sexual side effects may be higher and could possible be long-lasting. I don't believe class action lawsuits are the best indicator. These cases target a variety of drugs and devices and are often pursued for reasons other than patient safety. This doesn't mean the drug is safe or unsafe, it simply means that it is not an objective scientific analysis.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Do not know about the commision, but would like to tell about the side effects of the drug. You see, we are all different and all of us can react differently to any kind of medication. The most scary side effect of Propecia is sexual dysfunction, however it is the rarest one. I am on this drug and fortunately my sexual function is not affected. Think that side effect will be visible in a short period of time, and if you have it, you will be always able to quit the drug. I do not see what the problem is.

there have been many reports that AFTER U STOP using it .... u will get ED permenant , pls research , and read testimonals of real people versus some small clinical study sponsored by the makers of the drug !

Physicians do not get commission for prescribing it.

From what I understand, propecia side effects are rare (less than 2% of people taking the medication experience the negative side effect you mentioned).

I personally have not experienced any sexual side effects, thankfully.

Paulygon is a former patient of Dr. Parsa Mohebi

My regimen includes:

HT #1 2710 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in 2012

Rogaine foam 2x daily, since 2012 (stopped ~10/2015)

Finasteride 1.25mg daily, since 2012 (stopped ~12/2015)

HT #2 3238 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in Jun. 2016

Started Rogaine and Propecia in July. 2016 after being off of them for about a year.

As a physician myself I can dispel two notions. First physicians do not get commission for the prescribing of drugs, accepting payment would be grounds for losing ones license to practice medicine. Secondly, gauging a drug's side affects are only as good as the data collected. Not all men will report side effects, many get lost to follow up and others claim side effects that have nothing to do with the medication. So the answer while less than satisfactory is that what is reported could be close to reality or grossly under or over estimated. From a personal viewpoint I decided not to take the chance since disrupting hormonal feedback loops and assuming that a receptor blocker is 100% selective in the past has sometimes proved to be not necessarily a good thing. If it comes to a decision having to choose between my hair or health, I give the latter the benefit of the doubt.

according to survey it close to 39 % , u know how the FDA and merck share studies , its your life .... and the valid point is as hairweare puts its .... if its NOT HEALTHY .... ITS NOT GOOD , even if u r unluck and among the 39 % of ppl , u know u have fucked ur life so hard that it will never give u another chance !! i think HT is the only valid answer but even that is frought with not so decent density as of now . and it does pain , Imagine the 50 odd injections your poor scalp has to bear and the 6000 Odd holes all in a matter of 8 hours ..... the TRAUMA is HUGE .... if u have the guts to say it simple procedure .... then baby I suggest why dont u just take a sewing needle and try poking ur fingers just 10 times and see the mess u make .... 6000 holes is huge and way way painful .... esp. if the density is not good then its another NIGHTMARE on Hair street !!!

Interesting please can you share this link of showing 39% I've read from 2% upwards, I'm looking into taking this drug myself if it works but not if its going to ruin my life in some way.

Wow, really?? Most likely I will stay away from this drug then. I will research it a bit longer to collect as much info as possible. Meanwhile, I will continue with Saw Palmetto from Gaia Herbs (320mg/day), and laser hair therapy every other day. That's a bit safer then these pharmaceutical drugs.

Wow, really?? Most likely I will stay away from this drug then. I will research it a bit longer to collect as much info as possible. Meanwhile, I will continue with Saw Palmetto from Gaia Herbs (320mg/day), and laser hair therapy every other day. That's a bit safer then these pharmaceutical drugs.

Safer maybe...effective I'm not so sure...

Mikey,

Do you have a source for the 39% number? I'd be interesting in reading the study and perhaps sharing the information on our blog.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.