FUE Extractions Outside of Safe Zone

Why does it seem that FUE extractions are often taken WAY out of the safe zone? Especially high up on the back of the head so if he has lower crown issues later on, it could be an issue.

Here is an example: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/showthread.php?p=2389598#post2389598

Am I seeing this right?

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

Hi Guys,

I asked Dr. Wu to share more information about his FUE extraction process in the aforementioned thread. Specifically, I asked him to discuss whether or not he is comfortable extracting outside of the traditional safe donor zone in FUE patients with (presumed) stable vertex/crown regions.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Why does it seem that FUE extractions are often taken WAY out of the safe zone? Especially high up on the back of the head so if he has lower crown issues later on, it could be an issue.

Here is an example: Dr.Wen-Yi Wu one session FUE 1021 grafts after 9 months - Forum By and for Hair Loss Patients

Am I seeing this right?

"FUE extractions are often taken WAY out of the safe zone" <------ When you say "often", this becomes untrue.

Crown loss can expand ever so gradually. Just because someone is a norwood 3 at 30 does not mean he will never be a norwood 6 at 40.

Crown loss can expand ever so gradually. Just because someone is a norwood 3 at 30 does not mean he will never be a norwood 6 at 40.

That is true, but with medications his chances are drastically reduced. However, I really don't know of a food reason to pull from an unsafe zone. I have seen some high end FUE doctors do this as well, and I wonder if it is from pressure of being about to create low scar areas with a lot of grafts to produce the best results. The boarders are often being tested and I have seen some fine lines in smart grafting and surly getting miniaturized donor grafting in the future.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

That is true, but with medications his chances are drastically reduced. However, I really don't know of a food reason to pull from an unsafe zone. I have seen some high end FUE doctors do this as well, and I wonder if it is from pressure of being about to create low scar areas with a lot of grafts to produce the best results. The boarders are often being tested and I have seen some fine lines in smart grafting and surly getting miniaturized donor grafting in the future.

Fair call Spanker, some guys just don't want to risk the side effects. It really scared me out of even trying Proprecia when the label itself lists that the side effects could be permanent. However rare that my be.