Any new breakthrough treatment soon?

Hi all,

I was really considering an FUE HT with 1 of the recommended doctors in Turkey. But since checking pots of many of the patiens, I'm a little hesitant since it's a long process that takes a year to really start showing the results of the HT and during that year, I find a lot of people that are anxious, sometimes depressed & try to avoid meeting people.

I can take a long vacation & hide for 1-2 months but I need to get back to work from the 3rd month. I can't wear a cap to hide my head since I'm a manager and I wear suits to work & I meet a lot of people so wearing a cap is out of the question. I have thinning hair but I'm not bald. People usually say I have a big forehead hehe. But if I shave for an FUE HT then i need like 3-4 months for my original hair to grow back and what I noticed, it takes at least 6 months for the new transplanted hair to start growing.

So, my question is, is there any new breakthrough treatment either medication or improved HT that is being approved and will be available in the market in the next coming years? or there is nothing in the next 5-10 years. If nothing soon then FUE is my only option.

one of the best things I've heard of is the improvement to HT wherein less scarring is likely (Piloscopy).. but when will it actually begin to be used, we're not sure... good reading:

"Beginning as early as 2014, the surgical technique patented by Dr. Wesley will receive FDA Approval and be made available to patients worldwide. Using this innovative approach, the benefits of current surgical practices (hair survival and natural appearance) may be enhanced and the appearance of scarring may be eliminated. In addition, post-operative recovery may be improved by becoming more comfortable and more rapid."

I went to ISHRS in Oct 2013 as a live patient for Dr Parsa Mohebi, who is a very engaged leader in the ISHRS conference, and I was priveleged to learn a little about this method.. there are some good videos available on this method..

anyone else know if "scarless" will start to be used soon?? it sounds almost too good to be true... i am excited!

Paulygon is a former patient of Dr. Parsa Mohebi

My regimen includes:

HT #1 2710 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in 2012

Rogaine foam 2x daily, since 2012 (stopped ~10/2015)

Finasteride 1.25mg daily, since 2012 (stopped ~12/2015)

HT #2 3238 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in Jun. 2016

Started Rogaine and Propecia in July. 2016 after being off of them for about a year.

Sadly, no. Histogen seems like some bogus method, as does the once-hailed Gho technique. I'm also skeptical about the 'scarless' FUE technique that has been bandied around. Even it if were truly scarless, there would be missing follicles.

Thanks for your reply. I hope your info will become a reality as I'm really confused about my decision to go forward with an FUE or wait a few more years when there has been some development in this field. Waiting at least 6 months to see some effect after an HT is really long. During those 6 months, it will be a very difficult time to go out & meet people etc.

one of the best things I've heard of is the improvement to HT wherein less scarring is likely (Piloscopy).. but when will it actually begin to be used, we're not sure... good reading:

"Beginning as early as 2014, the surgical technique patented by Dr. Wesley will receive FDA Approval and be made available to patients worldwide. Using this innovative approach, the benefits of current surgical practices (hair survival and natural appearance) may be enhanced and the appearance of scarring may be eliminated. In addition, post-operative recovery may be improved by becoming more comfortable and more rapid."

I went to ISHRS in Oct 2013 as a live patient for Dr Parsa Mohebi, who is a very engaged leader in the ISHRS conference, and I was priveleged to learn a little about this method.. there are some good videos available on this method..

anyone else know if "scarless" will start to be used soon?? it sounds almost too good to be true... i am excited!

5-10 years from now we will be told that there's a treatment that is 5-10 years away. When those 10-20 years get here, the treatment will then go through FDA trials, which takes another 10 years. So 30 years from now, there will be a better treatment.

That's my overly pessimistic side talking. My optimistic side says we'll have something better for MPB than finasteride/dutasteride and minoxidil in 7-10 years from now. The quickest being 5 years from now. FDA is a long and expensive process though, and I don't see anything going through FDA right now, except dutasteride for MPB and CB-01-01 for acne, (That I know of, I could be wrong) so we could really be 10+ years away.

I feel like we are looking at 10 years on the short side. There is a lot of research being done and a lot of the break through science comes from researchers looking for one thing and finding another. I think right now we are finding out all the things that are stopping hair from growing, and we're looking at probably a minimum of 8 to 10 years before we can turn it back on. I think if a true cure or really good treatment comes about, we'll find out about it for a few years before it's available.

Edited by Spanker

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I remember my father saying to me as a young boy when he was receding that when I'm a man I won't have to worry about hairloss as there will be a cure then. 30 yrs on still no cure. I honestly believe that if a true cure comes along it will be to late for most of us in our middle yrs.

Hair Transplant Dr Feller Oct 2011

Hair Transplant Dr Lorenzo June 2014

I'm hoping they'll eventually be able to clone the hair follicle. I suspect that may not be too far off (although I really haven't followed its progress). If they can mass produce as many follicles as necessary for transplantation that will be huge boon.

i believe when they do find the cure for mpb,they will be very close to finding the fountain of youth,hairloss is directly linked to the foundation of aging,and the same process which causes hairloss and other aging characteristics(wrinkles,arthritis...etc)are very closely related.that's why everytime they find some advancement,there is another gene or chromasome,that also affects mpb.it is not that simple to understand,and even less simple to resolve.

I'm hoping they'll eventually be able to clone the hair follicle. I suspect that may not be too far off (although I really haven't followed its progress). If they can mass produce as many follicles as necessary for transplantation that will be huge boon.

This might even be the closest we get in our lifetime to a cure. Who knows. I really don't know how it will work as far as direction of the hair goes. It will be interesting and exciting if and when these little breakthroughs come. My fear about a non medicinal cure is that middle class people like myself won't be able to afford it firm quite some time after it is available. I think medicinal cures or treatments will be middle class available much sooner.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

A lot of researchers are working on fascinating projects that could one day contribute heavily to viable hair loss treatments, but I agree with the consensus that a breakthrough in the "next few years" is unlikely.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Thanks all for your comments. Well I also think that a medical cure won't be available for decades. But I was wondering, if there will be any kind of advancement in HT, for example, there will be less scarring, shorter procedure time, etc. well any kind of progress?

But I guess i'm just dreaming and the only way is the current FUE HT.